Subject: SSDBM 98 : Final CfP (extended deadline: Jan. 26, 1998)
From: Stefan Sklorz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 20:55:09 +0100

Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call.

Note : Deadline extended due to popular demand!
======================================================================
                      C A L L  F O R  P A P E R S
======================================================================
                Extended (Hard!) Deadline : Jan. 26, 1998

                  TENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 
           ON SCIENTIFIC AND STATISTICAL DATABASE MANAGEMENT
                
                http://www.iasi.rm.cnr.it/conferences/SSDBM98/

                        Capri (Italy)

                        July 1-3, 1998

The 10th International SSDBM Conference will take place in Capri, 
at "La Residenza" Hotel, July 1-3, 1998. Organized by the Istituto 
di Analisi dei Sistemi ed Informatica (IASI) of the Italian National 
Research Council (CNR), it will bring together database
researchers, practitioners, and developers, as well as domain 
scientists from multiple scientific disciplines, for the presentation 
and exchange of current research and on concepts, tools, and 
techniques for scientific and statistical database applications.

The 10th SSDBM will provide a forum for original research 
contributions and practical system design, implementation, and 
evaluation. The conference will also feature keynote talks, panel 
sessions, and demonstrations of research prototypes and industrial 
systems. It will continue the tradition of past SSDBM meetings in 
providing a stimulating environment to encourage discussion and the 
exchange of ideas in the drawing-room of the world: Capri. 

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following: 
System Architectures, Modeling and Semantics, Process Models, 
Query Languages and User Interfaces, Data Visualization, 
Metadata Management, Physical Organization, Data Compression, 
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Uncertainty Management, 
Data Integration, Multimedia Data, Probabilistic DB, 
Privacy/Security, Distributed SDB, Data Warehouse, Temporal Data, 
Spatial Data, Collaborative Work, Experiment Management, 
Tertiary Storage. 

Of particular interest are results that provide DB support to 
specific statistical applications or scientific disciplines, 
such as the following: 
Biological Sciences, Biostatistics, Census DBs, Chemistry and
Chemical Engineering, Decision Support, Earth and Space Sciences, 
Economics and Finance, Engineering, Enterprise Analysis, 
Environmental Risks, Geography, Medicine, On-Line Analytical 
Processing, Physics, Pollution, Social Sciences. 

The 10th SSDBM invites two separate types of papers:

1. RESEARCH PAPERS will describe the most recent and important 
advances in Scientific and Statistical DBs. Theoretical papers should 
include a solid motivation for why the specific results are important 
to domain scientists and how they are going to influence the 
development of scientific or statistical database systems. System 
papers should describe either complete working systems which are
being tested by domain scientists or specialized techniques which
can significantly increase the power of actual scientific and 
statistical database systems. 

2. EXPERIENCE/CHALLENGE PAPERS  will describe actual prototype 
implementations, pose problems which current technology cannot handle 
well, or identify important industrial trends which could affect the 
future research directions. They should be based on real-life 
experiences and should clearly place their contribution in the 
context of the current state of the art and relevant literature.

Submitted papers should be clearly marked at the top of the first 
page by the appropriate category for which they are intended. 
The Program Committee will decide , at its discretion, the class 
(full or short paper) in which to put the accepted research papers, 
as well as to switch papers that are deemed more appropriate for 
the other category (Research to Experience/Challenge or vice versa). 
In addition, the 10th SSDBM invites proposals for panels, as well as 
prototypes for demonstration at the Conference.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES 

All submissions are must arrive by January 26, 1998, to the
program chair. PAPERS should be up to 8,000 words long.
PANEL PROPOSALS should be at most 2 pages long and should 
include a tentative list of panellists. DEMONSTRATION PROPOSALS 
should be at most 2 pages long and should specify the kind of hardware 
required. Papers and proposals can be sent electronically 
(MS-Word, Postscript) or in hard-copy (5 copies). 

IMPORTANT DATES  

  January 26, 1998      Deadline for arrival of submissions
  March 31, 1998        Notification of acceptance/rejection
  May 1, 1998           Final papers at the publisher

ORGANIZATION 

Steering Committee:
Arie Shoshani (USA, Chair)
Hans Hinterberger (Switzerland)
James C. French (USA)
Per Svensson (Sweden)
Yannis Ioannidis (Greece)

General Chair

Maurizio Rafanelli 
IASI - CNR 
viale Manzoni 30, 00185 Roma, Italy 
Phone: +39.6.77161 - Fax: +39.6.771 6461 
e-mail: [email-masked] 

Program Chair

Matthias Jarke
Informatik V, RWTH Aachen
52056 Aachen, Germany
Phone: +49.241.8021501 - Fax: +49.241.8888 321
e-mail: [email-masked] 

Program Committee

C.M. Bauzer Medeiros (Brazil)
A. Bonner (Canada)
T. Catarci (Italy)
S. Chaudhuri (USA)
D. DeWitt (USA)
K.R. Dittrich (Switzerland)
M. J. Egenhofer (USA)
J.C. French (USA)
O. Guenther (Germany)
H. Hinterberger (Switzerland)
Y. Ioannidis (Greece)
M. Jeusfeld (Netherlands)
D. Keim (Germany)
L. Kerschberg (USA)
R. Laurini (France)
H.-J. Lenz (Germany)
P. Lewis (UK)
D. Maier (USA)
F. Malvestuto (Italy)
V.M. Markowitz (USA)
W. Marquardt (Germany)
S.B. Navathe (USA)
F. Olken (USA)
M. Ozsoyoglu (USA)
M. Rafanelli (Italy)
J.L.A. van Rijckevorsel (Netherlands)
E. A. Rundensteiner (USA)
D. Shasha (USA)
E. Simon (France)
S. Sklorz (Germany)
B. Sundgren (Sweden)
P. Svensson (Sweden)
Y. Vassiliou (Greece)
A. Westlake (UK)
M. Winslett (USA)
M. Zemankova (USA)

Organization Secretariat / Technical Support

Mary Carbone, Armanda Filacchioni
Antonia Bezenchek, Angelo Maliziola, Sergio Medici

Local Arrangment

P. De Gennaro
Hotel La Residenza, Capri
Phone: +39.81.8370833 - Fax: +39.6.8377564 - Telex: 720075 SADHOTEL
e-mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://caprionline.com/laresidenza

VENUE 

The Phoenicians and the Greeks, having colonized Southern Italy, 
came to know Capri; but the Island's first lover was Augustus 
Imperator, who arrived here in 29 B.C. After Augustus, Tiberius 
Imperator found the island replete with roads and buildings, 
and he made these into a miniature personal kingdom. 

The city Capri came into being in about 1200 A.D. It grew around 
what is now the "Piazzetta", seeking refuge from pirate raids. 
Marina Grande thus remained simply an anchorage. The road which 
leads today to the center of Capri did not yet exist, and the 
ravines and steeps cliff sides were defence enough against assaults. 
While reality is less-extraordinary than imagination, we cannot 
say so regarding Capri. The island: its position at the mouth of 
the Gulf of Naples, facing the breadth of the Tyrrhenian Sea; its 
sea-caverns (innumerable); its rugged terrain made of terraces and 
precipices; the unspoilt beauty of Monte Solaro, 589 mt (1767 ft) 
above sea level, giving us an unparalleled view over the Gulf of 
Naples. The chairlift leading to Monte Solaro passes in deep 
silence just barely over the brush, the olive groves, the very 
roofs of the farmhouses. Two gigantic rock fragments, breaking 
the sea's surface just in front of the landing called Port of 
Tragara, are known as the "Faraglioni". There are a great many 
grottoes: first of all, the Blue Grotto where the water really 
turns cobalt blue, an extraordinary effect of the refracted sunlight. 
Then there are the Green Grotto, the Grotto of the Cannon, the Red 
Grotto, the Grotto of the Sea Bull, and so on. How many things 
there are on this island to which an entire life could be 
dedicated and one might never again wish to return to the 
mainland .......