Subject: CFP: MLJ Special Issue on Multiagent Learning
From: Gerhard Weiss <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:53:44 +0200 (MET DST)

===========================================================================
  
                        CALL FOR PAPERS

             Special Issue on   MULTIAGENT LEARNING

               of the Journal   MACHINE LEARNING

              guest-edited by   Michael Huhns and Gerhard Weiss

      --  http://www7.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~weissg/si-mlj  --

Topic and Goal
--------------
Multiagent learning, that is, learning that relies on or even requires the 
interaction between several computational agents, establishes a relatively 
young but significant topic in artificial intelligence.  The goal of  this 
special issue is to increase awareness of this topic, and to  serve  as  a 
basis for stimulating further research.  We encourage  submission  of  un-
published high-quality papers that describe mature work  and  reflect  the 
state of the art in multiagent learning. Papers that present work centered 
around the question how multiple agents can collectively  learn  to  solve 
complex tasks are particularly welcome. Submitted  papers  should  address 
realistic computational constraints on multiagent learning,  and  offer  a 
detailed and conclusive experimental and/or theoretical analysis of  their 
described approaches.

Submission Information
----------------------
Papers should be double spaced and 8,000 to 12,000 words in  length,  with 
full-page figures counting for 400 words.  All submissions will be subject 
to the standard review procedure; the review  process  will  consider  the 
originality and significance of the contribution, quality  of  evaluation, 
and clarity of presentation. The first  page  should  include  the  title, 
abstract, key words, and author information  (name,  affiliation,  mailing 
address, telephone number, and e-mail address).  The  text  of  the  paper 
should begin on the second page and  continue  on  consecutively  numbered 
pages. For more information on the format, consult the inside  back  cover 
of a recent issue of Machine Learning. (Note that Machine Learning accepts 
submission of final copy in electronic form.  There is a latex style  file 
and related files available via anonymous ftp from world.std.com.  Look in
Kluwer/styles/journals  for  the  files  README,  smjrnl.doc,  smjrnl.sty,
smjsamp.tex, smjtmpl.tex, or smjstyles.tar which contains them all.)

Authors should submit six (6) copies of papers as indicated:

Four (4) hard copies to:

        Karen Cullen
        MACHINE LEARNING Editorial Office
        Kluwer Academic Publishers
        101 Philip Drive
        Norwell, MA 02061  USA

One hard copy to each Guest Editor (2):

        Michael Huhns
        Center for Information Technology
        Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
        University of South Carolina
        Columbia, SC  29208  USA
        		
        Gerhard Weiss
        Institut fuer Informatik
        Technische Universitaet Muenchen
        D-80290 Muenchen, Germany

We encourage potential authors to contact Michael Huhns ([email-masked])  or 
Gerhard Weiss ([email-masked]) prior  to  submission  if 
they have questions.

Important Dates
---------------
Submission deadline:       1 February 1997
Acceptance notification:   1 May 1997
Final manuscript:          1 September 1997
Planned publication date:  1 January 1998

===========================================================================