Subject: IEEE INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS Special Issue
From: Rose Dieng <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:28:46 +0200

CALL FOR PAPERS

IEEE INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS
Special Issue on 
KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT AND KNOWLEDGE DISTRIBUTION OVER THE INTERNET

Knowledge Management is one of the key progress factors in
organizations.  It involves explicit and persistent representation of
knowledge of (geographically) dispersed groups of people in the
organization, so as to improve the activities of the organization.

In an organization, know-how may relate to problem solving expertise
in functional disciplines, experiences of human resources, and project
experiences in terms of project management issues, design technical
issues and lessons learned. The coherent integration of this dispersed
know-how in a corporation, aimed at enhancing its access and reuse, is called 
"corporate memory" or "organizational memory".

Activities underlying knowledge management in an organization can
comprise detection of needs, construction, distribution, use and
maintenance of the corporate memory. It demands abilities to manage
disparate know-how and heterogeneous viewpoints, to make it accessible
and suitable for adequate members of the organization. When the
organization knowledge is distributed on several experts and documents
in different locations all over the world, the Internet or an Intranet
inside the organization and World Wide Web (WWW) techniques can be a
privileged means for acquisition, modelling, management of this
distributed knowledge. Papers are welcome in any area concerning
knowledge management, corporate memory and knowledge distribution via
Internet / Intranet. Examples of interesting topics are: 

   - Enterprise modeling
   - Dimensions of knowledge management: organization, competence,
     methodology...
   - Artificial Intelligence methods or techniques for construction
     of computational corporate memories (knowledge bases, case bases,
     intelligent documentary systems, agent-based systems...)
   - Integration of knowledge from different groups in an organization
   - Knowledge sharing between different groups in an organization
     (possibly via Internet/Intranet)
   - Cooperative (possibly WWW-based) building, adaptation and evolution
     of a corporate memory
   - WWW-based repositories for sharable ontologies and reusable
     problem-solving methods
   - WWW-based terminology servers
   - Assessment of concrete applications for knowledge management

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Submitted papers must be original (i.e. not already published in other 
magazines or journals). They should  be  written  according the IEEE 
Intelligent Systems style (see detailed instructions for authors at the URL:
http://computer.org/intelligent/edguide.htm) .  The final articles  should  be 
 about  10 printed pages, with up to 10 references. All  papers  submitted  
will be  carefully  reviewed by an international committee.   The submitted 
papers should be sent electronically to the guest editor by February 15, 1999. 
Acceptance and revision notices will be E-mailed by May 15, 1999. Revised 
papers must be submitted by July 15. The publication is scheduled for 
September 1999.

The title page should include name, affiliation, and e-mail address of the 
authors. Authors are asked to submit their papers electronically in HTML, PDF, 
 RTF or PostScript :
        * either by giving an URL, where to find the file tared or compressed 
in .Z, .zip or .gz format.
        * or by sending the file tared or compressed in .Z, .zip or .gz format 
by E-mail to the guest editor.

GUEST EDITOR:
Dr Rose Dieng
INRIA
Acacia Project
2004 route des Lucioles, BP 93
06902 Sophia-Antipolis Cedex
FRANCE
E-mail: [email-masked]

DEADLINES:
15 February 1999    submission deadline
15 May 1999         reviews dealine 
15 July 1999        revisions deadline
15 September 1999   scheduled publication