Subject: CFP: Secial Issue on Organizational Memory and Knowledge Management
From: Stefan Decker <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:28:21 +0200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call.
Please post forward to all your interested colleagues.  
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                               Call for Papers

   International Journal of Human-Computer Studies / Knowledge Acquisition

                              Special Issue on
                          Organizational Memory and
                            Knowledge Management

 See the  full CFP at:
 http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/~sde/HCS/CFP.html

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                   Introduction

     Knowledge Management (KM) is nowadays one of the key factors in
     organizations. Although KM is an issue in human resource management and
     enterprise organization beyond any specific technology questions, there
     are important aspects that can be supported or even enabled by
     intelligent information systems. Especially AI and related fields
     provide solutions for important parts of the overall KM problem:
     
        o Identification and analysis of a company's knowledge-intensive
          work processes (e.g., product design or strategic planning).
          Knowledge Engineering and Enterprise Modeling techniques can
          contribute to this topic. The analysis of information flow and
          involved knowledge sources allows to identify shortcomings of
          business processes, and to specify requirements on potential IT
          support.
        o In an organization, know-how consists of e.g. problem solving
          expertise in functional disciplines, experiences of human
          resources, and project management experiences, technical design
          issues and lessons learned. The coherent integration of this
          dispersed know-how is called Organizational Memory (OM). It is
          regarded as the central prerequisite for IT support of Knowledge
          Management and is the means for knowledge conservation,
          distribution, and reuse. An OM enables organizational learning and
          continuous process improvement. An OM has to meet a set of
          distinctive requirements.                                                     
     We invite authors to submit papers on the following topics, issues
     and questions (but not limited to):

        * Dimensions of knowledge management: organization, competence,
          methodology, ...
        * Enterprise modeling, esp. Process modeling for KM/OM systems
        * Requirements Engineering for KM/OM systems
        * Case studies of building KM/OM in enterprises
        * Architectures for KM/OM systems
        * Contents of an KM/OM systems
        * WWW-based repositories for sharable ontologies and reusable
          problem-solving methods
        * WWW-based terminology servers
        * Knowledge sharing between different groups in an organization
          (possibly via Internet/Intranet) including integration.
        * Usage and combination of several AI techniques for OM (e.g.
          knowledge acquisition approaches, ontologies, formal
          inferencing, intelligent information integration, case bases,
          intelligent documentary systems, agent-based systems,...)
        * Intelligent user interfaces for Knowledge Retrieval
        * Integrating formal and informal knowledge
        * Ensuring cooperative self-adaptiveness / filling of the OM
        * Active, context-dependent knowledge supply

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                    Important Dates

          e-mail to the contact person stating
          the intend to submit a paper          NOW
          Submission deadline:                  September 1, 1998
          Notification of acceptance:           November 1, 1998
          Camera  ready:                        January 1, 1999
          Journal:                              July or August 1999

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                Submission Information
     Contributions are invited in the form of a full paper (20-30
     pages). The title page should include name, affiliation, and
     e-mail address of the contributor.  Papers have to be submitted
     electronically in

        * HTML (preferred)
        * PDF
        * or PostScript (least preferred)

     in one of the following three ways:

        * By sending an URL, where a tared-file or zipped can be found
          (preferred) to the contact person.
        * By FTPing the file to
          ftp://ftp.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/incoming and sending an
          email-notification to the contact person.
        * By sending a tarred or zipped version of the document by
          email to the contact person.

     Contact person is Stefan Decker (address see below). Preliminary
     layout information is available. Final layout information will we
     distributed after the review process.

     Contributors must be willing to review other submitted papers.
     Reviews will be made partially by the contributors (reviewing
     other papers) and by an international committee.
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                     Guest Editors
     Stefan Decker (Contact Person)
     University of Karlsruhe, Institut AIFB,
     D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
     Phone: +49 721-608 6589
     FAX: +49 721-693 717
     E-mail: [email-masked]

     Frank Maurer
     University of Calgary ,
     Department of Computer Science, Alberta, Canada
     Phone: +1 403 220 3531
     FAX: +1 403 284 4707
     E-mail: [email-masked]

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------