Subject: ML in Design
From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:06:46 +0100

Request for Papers

MACHINE LEARNING IN DESIGN

Special Issue of the AI EDAM Journal
------------------------------------

After the successful conclusion of the Machine Learning in Design
(MLinD) Workshop at this year's AI in Design conference, the workshop
organisers -- Dave Brown, Ashok Goel and Alex Duffy -- decided to
put together a special issue to be submitted to the Cambridge
University Press Journal:

	"AI EDAM: Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design,
	 Analysis and Manufacturing".

	 http://www2.hmc.edu/~dym/aiedam.html

The purpose of the workshop was to explore the issues and requirements
of learning in design with the intent to critically evaluate the
required support from machine learning techniques.  The objective was
not only to identify key areas for future research but also to
stimulate synergy in the Machine Learning in Design research
community.  (See  http://cs.wpi.edu/~dcb/AID/AID96-MLinD.html )

The discussion centred around a number of "dimensions" of MLinD
proposed by D. L. Grecu and D. C. Brown, namely:

	  i).  What can trigger learning?
	 ii).  What are the elements supporting learning?
	iii).  What might be learned?
	 iv).  Availability of knowledge for learning?
	  v).  Methods of learning?
	 vi).  Local vs Global learning
	vii).  Consequences of learning

For further details see  http://cs.wpi.edu/~dcb/AID/taxonomy.html

>> You are invited to submit a paper discussing your work in relation
>> to the above dimensions.

Your response should address three main elements:

  a). A presentation of your MLinD work.
  b). An attempt to categorise it in terms of the dimensions.
  c). A critique of the proposed dimensions based on that attempt.

Shorter papers would also be acceptable that just address part c).

Every paper submitted will be reviewed by at least three reviewers.
Submitting a paper indicates willingness to review.  Every attempt
will be made to uphold the high standards of the journal.  The
procedure will be overseen by the journal editor.

The proposed schedule for this special issue is:

           Apr 1998 	Issue 12(2) appears 
    17 October 1997	Revised papers to Guest editors
     29 August 1997	Reviews to Authors
      8 August 1997 	Reviews due
       27 June 1997	Papers due
       7 March 1997	Declaration of interest from authors due

Please send the paper, and all correspondence, via email to the guest
editors by using the address:

	[email-masked]

Send the paper in both postscript form and also in plain text. The
plain text will only be used if there are problems with the
postscript, and, if so, you will be notified so that you can send any
diagrams.

Please respond via email to let us know whether you intend to submit a
paper.

Guest editors:

      Dr Alex H B Duffy
           University of Strathclyde, U.K.
           [email-masked]
           http://www.cad.strath.ac.uk/People/alex.html

      Prof Ashok Goel
           Georgia Institute of Technology, U.S.A.
           [email-masked]
           http://www.cc.gatech.edu/aimosaic/faculty/goel/

      Prof David C Brown
           Worcester Polytechnic Institute, U.S.A.
           [email-masked]
           http://www.wpi.edu/~dcb/

---------------------------------------------------------------------