Subject: call for paper
From: [email-masked] (Dieter Fensel)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:19:59 +0100

C  A  L  L     F  O  R     P  A  P  E  R

              Deadline: January 31th, 1997

        ----------------------------------------

Hello,

we will organize a session on

        Conceptual and Formal Specification Methods for
        Knowledge-Based Systems

during the 9th International Conference on Software Engineering &
Knowledge Engineering (SEKE-97), June 18-20, 1997, in Madrid (URL
http://www.ls.fi.upm.es/SEKE97/index.html). Therefore, we would
like to ask you to submit a paper to SEKE-97 on these topics.

The session will be on implementation-independent specification
techniques for knowledge-based systems (KBSs), which can be
conceptual and formal. Methods and tools must be provided to
evaluate such specifications and to support the transition from
specifications to implementations. Such specifications can be used
to describe the task that should be performed by the KBS, the
reasoning strategy that is used by it, and the knowledge base that
is used by the KBS. Of special interest are the specification of
reusable reasoning strategies (libraries of problem-solving
methods) and reusable knowledge bases (ontologies). As similar work
on specifications has been done in Software Engineering (SE), we
will ask for papers that relate the work done in SE with work that
is done in Knowledge Engineering (KE). A (non-exclusive) list of
topics is given below:

* Conceptual Modelling Techniques for KBSs and their
  relationship to common techniques in SE
* Formal Specification Techniques for KBSs and their
  relationship to common techniques in SE
* Validation of conceptual models (in KE and SE)
* Validation and verification of formal specifications
  (in KE and SE)
* Transitions between different specifications
  (conceptual, formal) and between specifications and
  implementation (in KE and SE).
* Specification techniques for reusable PSMs and Ontologies
  and comparison with work on software reuse.

If you are planning to submit a paper to our sessions you have to
do the following:

 1. Papers should not exceed 25 pages of double space text (including
     figures and references) and should include a 200-word abstract. The
     deadline for submissions is January 31, 1997. Papers should be sent to
     the SEKE-97 program chair:
        Natalia Juristo
        Universidad Politecnica de Madrid
        Campus de Montegancedo
        Boadilla del Monte, 28660 Madrid
        SPAIN
        E-mail: [email-masked]
        Fax:    +34-1-3367412
        Phone:  +34-1-3366922
        (see also: http://www.ls.fi.upm.es/SEKE97/Submissions.html)
  2. Indicate on the first page that you submit to the session:
     "Conceptual and Formal Specification Methods for KBS"
  3. Inform the session organizers and stay in touch for further
     details.

SESSION ORGANIZERS:

Richard Benjamins
Department SWI, University of Amsterdam
tel: +31-20-5256791, fax: +31-20-5256896
e-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/usr/richard/home.html

Dieter Fensel (contact)
Institut AIFB, University of Karlsruhe
tel: +49-721-6084751, fax: +49-721-693717
e-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/dfe/dieter.html

Frank van Harmelen
Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
de Boelelaan 1081a, 1081HV Amsterdam,
tel +31-20-444 7731, secr +31-20-444 7700
fax +31-20-444 7653
email: [email-masked], URL:   http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh

Kind regards,

-- Richard Benjamins
   Dieter Fensel
   Frank van Harmelen