Subject: SCIE97 1^announcement
From: Summer School on Information Extraction <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:18:06 +0100

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Colleague, please find enclosed the first announcement of the summer
school on information extraction SCIE-97 that will take place next july.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that a multiple reception of this message
could have caused.

Best Regards, Maria Teresa Pazienza

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT
==================

SUMMER SCHOOL ON INFORMATION EXTRACTION (SCIE-97)

University of Roma, Tor Vergata, Villa Mondragone
Frascati, Roma, Italy, 14-19 July 1997

The Artificial Intelligence group of the Department of Computer Science,
Systems and Production of the University of Roma, Tor Vergata, in cooperation
with the Italian Association of Artifical Intelligence (AI*IA),  is pleased to
announce the first Summer School on Information Extraction 1997 (SCIE-97), to
be held in Frascati, Roma, Italy, on 14-19, July .

Aim of the school is to bring together researchers and practicioners of the
different scientific areas involved in Information Extraction (Natural Language
Processing, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Statistics, ...) to
stress
its multidisciplinary nature.

The increasing availability of new information trasmission technologies demands
new and more personal information filtering methods: in fact it is obvious that
it is not the amount of information that gives the value but the possibility to
access it at the right time and in the most suitable form.

The need of users  to have filtered access to a mass of multi-media information
by means of a personalised information profile, induced a growing effort in
industries and state-owned organizations (e.g. academia) in launching projects
to develop systems satisfying these requirements. Fully developed  systems
should provide the user with filtered information, that is direct access to
pertinent data among huge data flows. This has the benefits, from the users'
viewpoint, to dramatically reduce the necessary browsing time.

Information extraction is a crucial need in several IT areas (e.g. document
management, access to full text databases, or navigation in texts) and its
successful application will be a relevant progress towards the future
information society.

The Summer School on Information Extraction (SCIE-97) aims to put together
advanced contributions to studies and projects on Information Extraction from
the different involved areas.

The school is organized as a set of technical courses held by international
experts in the field, on the main scientific IE themes. Technical
demonstrations of current IE technologies and systems will be also held at the
school. Specific workshops are planned to favor the  cooperative discussion
among specialists and fellows.

============================================================================

A preliminary list of invited teachers as well as the related course subjects
follows:

1)-Yorick Wilks (University of Sheffield)
 "Information Extraction: methodological and technological issues"

2)-Bran Boguraev (Apple Computer -Cupertino)
 "Terminology identification and extraction"

3)-Greg Grefenstette (Rank Xerox Research  -Grenoble, France )
"Quantitative methods for NLP driven IR"

4)-Ralph Grishman (University of New York)
"Processing sublanguages"

5)-Alan Smeaton (University of Dublino)
"Language processing and Large scale Information retrieval"

6)-Nicola Guarino (LADSEB-CNR Padova)
"Formal onthology for knowledge sharing and integration"

7)-Lorenza Saitta (University of Torino)
"Unsupervised and Supervised learning"

8)-Sophie Cluet (INRIA, Parigi)
"Methods and tools for data base management of structured documents"

============================================================================

The Program Commettee is composed by:

#	prof. Maristella Agosti (Univ. of Padova)
#	prof. Paolo Atzeni (Univ. of Roma III)
#	prof. Luigia Carlucci Aiello (Univ. of Roma "La Sapienza")
#	prof. Floriana Esposito (Univ. of Bari)
#	prof. Maria Teresa Pazienza (Univ. of Roma, Tor Vergata) (chair)

The following institutions already confirmed their support to SCIE-97 :

- ESA (European Space Agency)
- Fondazione Ugo Bordoni
- Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA)

Other institutions are planning a specific support:

- European Community (EC)
- National Research Council - CNR
- ENEA

Participants will be fully informed about the current status of the art during
one week of plenary courses and workshops in the pleasant atmosphere of the
historical city of Frascati (very close to Rome - Italy).
>From February 1997 onwards the final programme will be available.Keep checking
our w3 pages (http://babele.info.utovrm.it/~scie97)

Local Organization

- R. Basili (Univ. Roma Tor Vergata)
- M. Di Nanni (Univ. Roma Tor Vergata)
- G. Pedani (Univ. Roma Tor Vergata)
- M. Vindigni (Univ. Roma Tor Vergata)

School e-mail: [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------
SCIE-97
Summer School on Information Extraction
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via della Ricerca Scientifica
00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel +39 6 72594488/4484
fax +39 6 2020519
mailto:[email-masked]
http://babele.info.utovrm.it/~scie97

-------------------------------------------