From: "Igor B. Gourevitch" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 15:36:01 +0300

Dear Colleague,

I am sending You the Announcement and Call for  Papers  for  The  4-th
Open  German-Russian Workshop on Pattern Recognition and Image Unders-
tanding. I hope that You'll consider interesting to take part  in  the
Workshop. Will You please also inform your colleagues on the event.

Best Regards

Dr.-Eng. Igor Gourevitch
Scientific Secretary of the Workshop Committee
**********************************************************************
Dr.-Eng. Igor B. Gourevitch
Scientific Council "Cybernetics" of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
40, Vavilov str,
Moscow 117967
Russian Federation
tel.: 7-095-129-0797
fax:  7-095-129-0797
e-mail address: [email-masked]
*********************************************************************
         1. ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR PAPERS

         The 4-th Open German-Russian Workshop on
        Pattern Recognition and Image Understanding
***********************************************************
General Information:
--------------------

The general  goal of the series of workshops,  held in former years in
Berlin, St. Petersburg, and Erlangen, is to establish and improve sci-
entific contacts between researchers from Russia,  Germany,  and other
countries in order to advance the important field of Pattern  Recogni-
tion and Image Understanding.

Time and Location:
------------------

The Workshop will be held from 4.  March to 8. March, 1996 at the Val-
day  resort  area located 300 km to south-east from St.-Petersburg and
400 km to north-west from Moscow.

Details of travel information and travel arrangements will be  announ-
ced at a later time.

Topics of Interest:
-------------------

Mathematical Theory of Pattern Recognition
Mathematical Theory of Image Processing, Analysis, Recognition
   and Understanding
Formalization and Representation of Raw Data in PR&IU
Image Simulation and Image Models
Computer Vision
Machine Learning
Knowledge Based Recognition and Interpretation
Knowledge Based Applications
Descriptors, Features and Primitives
Object Recognition and Localization
Data Bases and Knowledge Bases for PR&IU
PR&IU Systems
Neural Nets
Applications
New Architectures, Specialized  Computers, Applied and System
   Software Tools for PR&IU

Organizers:
-----------

Institutions:

Computer Science  and Automation Branch of the Russian Academy of Sci-
ences

The Russian Association for Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis

The Scientific Council "Cybernetics" of the Russian Academy of  Scien-
ces (Moscow)

Information Research and Development Ltd. (Moscow)

Persons:

Yuri Zhuravlev,  Professor, full member of the Russian Academy of Sci-
   ences (The Computing Center of the  Russian  Academy  of  Sciences,
   Moscow) - Co-chairman of the Committee.

Igor Gourevitch, Dr.-Eng. (The Scientific Council "Cybernetics" of the
   Russian Academy of Sciences,  Moscow) - Scientific Secretary of the
   Committee.

Heinrich Niemann,  Professor (Research Group for Knowledge Processing,
   Bavarian Research Institute for Knowledge Based Systems,  Erlangen;
   and  Chair  for Pattern Recognition,  University of Erlangen-Nuern-
   berg) - Co-chairman of the Committee.

Bernd Radig, Professor (Managing Director, Bavarian Research Institute
   for Knowledge Based Systems,  Erlangen,  Munich,  Passau; and Chair
   for Cognitive Systems, Technical University of Munich)

Members of the Committee:

Gennadij Emeljanov, Professor (Novgorod State University, Novgorod)

Eugene Metlitski,  Professor  (St.-Petersburg  State  Electrotechnical
   University, St.-Petersburg)

Anatolij Nemirko,   Professor,  (St.-Petersburg  State  University  of
   Electrical Engineering, St.-Petersburg)

Gennadij Savin, Professor, corresponding member of the Russian Academy
   of  Sciences (Computer Science and Automation Branch of the Russian
   Academy of Sciences, Moscow)

Victor Soifer, Professor (The Samara State Aerospace University, Sama-
   ra)

Yuri Vasin,  Professor  (Research Institute of Applied Mathematics and
   Cybernetics,  N.Lobachevsky State University  of  Nizhny  Novgorod,
   Nizhny Novgorod)

Participation:
--------------

The Workshop is open to all scientists working in  one  of  the  above
"Topics  of  Interest".  The number of participants will be limited to
about 100.

The Russian side will cover the living expenses of up  to  ten  German
participants to be selected on the basis of submitted papers.

1. There will be workshop fee.  Its amount will be declared in the 2-d
   Announcement.

2. There is an opportunity to organize postconference tours to  Moscow
   and  St.-Petersburg  (scientific and cultural events).  The details
   and prices will be declared in the 2-d Announcement.

Registration and Submission of Papers:
--------------------------------------

Please, indicate  your  interest  in participation as soon as possible
after receiving this email by making a preliminary registration. Plea-
se, send your PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION either
   by email to [email-masked],
   or by Fax to H. Niemann,      +49-9131-691185,
   or by email to [email-masked]
   or by Fax to I.B. Gourevitch, +7-095-129-0797.

Papers will be selected by the Organizers on the basis of a 3 - 5 page
abstract.

The first page should include:
       TITLE (capitals, 14 pts)
       Names of Authors           |
       Affiliation                |
       Address                    |  1.5-spaced, 12 pts
       e-mail                     |
       Annotation (up to 10 lines)|

In addition,  Posters may be submitted to the Workshop by  sending  an
abstract  in  the  above format.  Computers will be made available for
software demonstrations.

Please, SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT in the above format as  soon  as  possible,
but not later than 16. January 1996.

Abstracts from Germany should be sent
   either by Fax to H. Niemann, 09131-691185,
   or by email to [email-masked].

Notification of acceptance will be by end of January, 1996.

Publication of Papers:
----------------------

A "Collection of Abstracts" will be available at the Workshop.
The presentation of a paper will have 30 minutes, including
discussion.

Full papers will be published in 1996 in the journal "Pattern Recogni-
tion and Image Analysis".  A full paper is limited to not more than 36
pages (double-spaced, 12 pts). A poster may be published as a paper.

Addresses:
----------

Participants from Germany should contact:

   Prof. Dr.-Ing. H. Niemann
   Forschungsgruppe Wissensverarbeitung
   Bayerisches Forschungszentrum fuer Wissensbasierte Systeme (FORWISS)
   Am Weichselgarten 7
   91058 Erlangen
   tel.: 09131-691195 (or 857774)
   fax.: 09131-691185
   email: [email-masked]