Subject: Re: PKAW98
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:09:52 +0200

This year's PKAW will be a part of PRICAI98
(<http://jsaic.krdl.org.sg/pricai98/>). For the latest
information, please visit
<http://www.ar.sanken.osaka-u.ac.jp/PKAW98.html>.

                      Call for Papers

PKAW98, The 1998 Pacific Rim Knowledge Acquisition Workshop

                   Sponsored by PRICAI98

                      Venue & Date
             Singapore, November 22-23, 1998

1. Introduction

The objective of this workshop is to assemble theoreticians and
practitioners concerned with developing methods and systems that
assist the knowledge acquisition process and assessing the suitability
of such methods.  Thus, the workshop includes all aspects of
eliciting, acquiring, modeling and managing knowledge, and their role
in the construction of knowledge-intensive systems.  Knowledge
acquisition still remains the bottleneck for building a knowledge based
system. Reuse and sharing of knowledge bases are major issues and 
no satisfactory solutions have been agreed upon yet. There is a wide
range of research. Much of the work in this field has been knowledge
acquisition from human experts. The advent of the age of digital
information has brought the problem of data overload. Our ability to
analyze and understand massive datasets lags far behind our ability to
gather and store the data. A new generation of computational
techniques and tools is required to support the acquisition of useful
knowledge from the rapidly growing volume of data. All of these are to
be discussed in this workshop.

This workshop offers an opportunity to draw together both aspects of
dealing with the situated nature of human knowledge and expertise and
of developing methods that depend more on their algorithmic adequacy
than on the expertise of the knowledge engineer.

2. Topics of Interest

Papers are invited in all aspects of knowledge acquisition for
knowledge-based systems, including (but not restricted to):

 o Fundamental views on knowledge that affect the knowledge
   acquisition process and the use of knowledge in knowledge
   engineering
 o Algorithmic approaches to knowledge acquisition
 o Tools and techniques for knowledge acquisition, knowledge
   maintenance and knowledge validation
 o Evaluation of knowledge acquisition techniques, tools and methods
 o Knowledge acquisition, machine learning and knowledge discovery
 o Languages and frameworks for knowledge and knowledge modeling
 o Integration of knowledge acquisition techniques with wider
   information systems or decision support systems
 o Methods and techniques for sharing and reusing knowledge
 o Distributed knowledge acquisition through infrastructures such as
   the Internet

3. Participation and Submission of Papers

Despite the more open nature of this workshop the major goal remains
to encourage vigorous interaction and exchange of ideas. Consequently,
the workshop participation will be kept small - less than 40
participants.  Persons not submitting papers can also request to
participate. Authors are invited to formulate an issue that would be
useful to discuss. Software demonstrations related to presented papers
are also encouraged.

The submissions may be sent by e-mail (self-contained LaTex or
PostScript or PDF files) or as hardcopies (in triplicate) to Hiroshi
Motoda (address see below). E-mail submission is highly encouraged. To
ensure a uniform look for the final proceedings, authors are requested
to follow the paper format (up to 15 page) for the PRICAI'98 main
conference. Style format for LaTeX2e can be downloaded from
http://jsaic.krdl.org.sg/pricai98/.

The submissions will be reviewed by members of the program committee.
Accepted papers will be published in the proceedings and distributed
at the workshop. Authors will retain copyright of their papers.

For more information about the workshop, please contact the workshop
organizers.

4. Important Dates 

    Papers due by: July 10, 1998
    Notification of Acceptance: September 10, 1998 
    Camera-ready version of Final Paper due: October 10, 1998 
    Date of Workshop: November 22-23, 1998

5. Workshop Organizers

     Hiroshi Motoda
       Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research
       Osaka University
       8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki 567-0047, Japan
       [email-masked]

     Riichiro Mizoguchi
       Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research
       Osaka University
       8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki 567-0047, Japan
       [email-masked]

     Paul Compton
       Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
       School of Computer Science and Engineering
       University of New South Wales, Australia
       [email-masked]

     Huan Liu
       Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
       National University of Singapore
       Singapore 119260
       [email-masked]

6. Program Committee

  Dai Araki(Toshiba, Japan)
  Bob Colomb (University of Queensland)
  Paul Compton (University of New South Wales, Australia)
  John Debenham (CSIRO and University of Technology, Sydney, Australia)
  Brian Gaines (University of Calgary, Canada)
  Masahiro Hori(IBM Japan, Japan)
  Yves Kodratoff (CNRS and University of Paris-Sud, France)
  Huan Liu (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
  Tim Menzies (University of New South Wales, Australia)
  Riichiro Mizoguchi (Osaka University, Japan)
  Katharina Morik (University Dortmund, Germany)
  Hiroshi Motoda (Osaka University, Japan)
  Enrico Motta (Open University, UK)
  Mark Musen (Stanford University, USA)
  Cecile Paris (CSIRO, Australia)            
  Takao Terano (Tsukuba Univiersity, Japan)
  Katsuhiko Tsujino (Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Japan)
  Yoshiyuki Koseki (NEC Corporation, Japan)
  Geoff Webb (Deakin University, Australia)
 
For the latest information, please visit 
  <http://www.ar.sanken.osaka-u.ac.jp/PKAW98.html>.

Hiroshi Motoda                                      
Division of Intelligent Systems Science,            
The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research,
Osaka University                                    
8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047
Japan                                               

E-mail [email-masked]
Phone    :  81-6-879-8540
Fax      :  81-6-879-8544
URL      : http://www.ar.sanken.osaka-u.ac.jp/