From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:13:43 +0100

Resent-Date:  Mon, 08 Jan 96 09:25:49 GMT
Resent-From:  * <DIAM_EF@FRMRS11>
Resent-To:    [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 13:58:42 +0100
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Originator: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Paul Compton)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: PKAW96
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salut, Hamuabi ai vai o CFP do PKAW, Vasco

----------------------------Original message----------------------------
                   First Call for Papers

PKAW96, The 1996 Pacific Rim Knowledge Acquisition Workshop

                    incorporating

The Fourth Japanese Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based
Systems Workshop and the Second Australian Knowledge Acqusition Workshop

                     Co-Sponsored by
       University of New South Wales, Sydney
      Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence
       Advanced Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd.

                     Venue & Date
          Oceanic Hotel, Coogee Beach, Sydney
                  October 23-25, 1996

                   Invited Speaker
   William Clancey, Institute for Research on Leaning

                 Parallel Conference
        Algorithmic Learning Theory Conference

The objective of this workshop is to assemble theoreticians and
practitioners concerned with developing methods and systems that assist the
knowledge acquisition process and assessing the suitability of such
methods.  This particular workshop offers perhaps an opportunity to try to
draw together the extremes of attempting to deal with the situated nature
of human knowledge and expertise and attempting to develop methods that
depend more on their algorithmic adequacy than the expertise of the
knowledge engineer.

The Algorithmic Learning Theory Conference will be held at the same venue
at the same time.  PKAW participants can attend ALT sessions and vice versa
and the programs will be scheduled to facilitate interaction.

Despite the more open nature of this workshop the major goal remains to
encourage vigorous interaction and exchange of ideas. Consequently, the
workshop participation will be kept small - less than 40 participants.
Persons not submitting papers can also request to participate. Authors are
invited to formulate an issue that would be useful to discuss. Software
demonstrations related to presented papers are also encouraged. Best paper
awards are available for students to cover a part of their travel expenses
(up to A$1000 if an overseas student.  Please indicate if you wish to apply
for such an award).

Papers are invited for consideration in all aspects of knowledge
acquisition for knowledge-based systems, including (but not
restricted to):

 o Fundamental views on knowledge that affect the knowledge
   acquisition process and the use of knowledge in knowledge
   engineering
 o Algorithmic approaches to knowledge acquisition
 o Tools and techniques for knowledge acquisition, knowledge
   maintenance and knowledge validation
 o Evaluation of knowledge acquisition techniques, tools and methods
 o Knowledge acquisition and machine learning
 o Languages and frameworks for knowledge and knowledge modeling
 o Integration of knowledge acquisition techniques with wider
   information systems or decision support systems
 o Methods and techniques for sharing and reusing knowledge
 o Distributed knowledge acquisition through infrastructures such as
   the Internet

Five copies of a draft paper (up to 20 pages) should be sent to Paul
Compton (see the address below) before May 24, 1996.  Postscript submission
by email to [email-masked] is also acceptable. Acceptance notices
will be mailed by August 16, 1996. Camera-ready copies should be returned
before October 4, 1996. The proceedings will be published and distributed
at the workshop.  Authors will retain copyright of their papers.

Workshop Co-chairs

     Paul Compton
       School of Computer Science and Engineering
       Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
       University of New South Wales, Australia
       [email-masked]

     Riichiro Mizoguchi
       Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research
       Osaka University
       8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki 567, Japan
       [email-masked]

     Hiroshi Motoda
       Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research
       Osaka University
       8-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki 567, Japan
       [email-masked]

Notes
=====
The Oceanic Hotel overlooks Coogee beach.  It provides a pick-up
service from the airport which is about 20 mins also.  Coogee is also
about 20 mins by regular public transport from downtown Sydney. Coogee
Beach is an ocean beach with safe surfing and pleasant walks along the
cliffs and foreshore.  In late October, the water will still be cool,
but plenty of people will be swimming.  Other sporting activities are
readily accessible.

Workshop registration of $A360 includes the proceedings, lunch each
day, a reception on the evening of the 22nd, the workshop dinner on
24th (probably a harbour cruise) and access to the ALT conference,
held in parallel.  There is a range of accommodation at Coogee within
a few minutes walk from the Oceanic ranging from water views at the
Oceanic itself (~$150 per night) to backpacker dormitories (15$ per
night).  Coogee also has a wide range of restaurants.

URL: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pkaw96/
Email: [email-masked]
(to be set up shorlty)