Subject: PAKDD-98: Advance Program and CFP
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:03:50 +0100

********************
                         *  P A K D D ' 98  *
                         ********************
 
  2nd Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
 
                Melbourne, Australia, April 15-17, 1998
 
              C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N
 
            Home Page: http://www.sd.monash.edu.au/pakdd-98

Sponsored by:
  MAIC: Monash Artificial Intelligence Consortium
  School of Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University
  ACSys: Cooperative Research Center for Advanced Computational System

Invited Speakers:
  Jiawei Han (ACSys Keynote Speaker, Simon Fraser University, Canada)
  Chris Wallace (Monash University, Australia)
  Bhavani Thuraisingham (MITRE Corporation, USA)

Conference Chairs: 
  Ross Quinlan (RuleQuest Research Pty Ltd)
  Bala Srinivasan (Monash University)

Program Chairs:
  Xindong Wu (Monash University)
  Ramamohanarao Kotagiri (Melbourne University)

INTRODUCTION
============

The Second Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data 
Mining (PAKDD-98) provides an international forum for the sharing 
of original research results and practical development experiences 
among researchers and application developers from different KDD 
related areas such as machine learning, databases, statistics, 
knowledge acquisition, data visualization, software re-engineering, 
and knowledge-based systems. It follows the success of PAKDD-97 
held in Singapore in 1997 by bringing together participants from 
universities, industry and government.

The conference program consists of 2 tutorials, 3 invited talks, 
one panel discussion, one pre-conference workshop, and a number 
of technical sessions for refereed paper presentations. The topic 
of the panel discussion is `To What Extent Can Data Mining Be 
Proceduralised?', and the theme of the workshop is `Parallel and 
Distributed Data Mining'. The 2 tutorials are `Data Mining: An 
Overview from Database Perspective' and `Applications of Minimum 
Message Length in Data Analysis'.

Of the 110 submissions, PAKDD-98 accepted 31 regular papers; an 
acceptance rate of 28%. In addition, over 20 papers were accepted 
as posters for short presentations. The technical sessions include: 
Data Mining in Temporal and Spatial Data; Rough Sets, Fuzzy Logic 
and Neural Networks; Induction of Rules and Decision Trees; Agent 
and Internet Based Mining; New Tools and Algorithms for Data Mining; 
Advanced Topics in Data Mining; Commercial Applications of Data 
Mining; and Minimum Message Length Inference (MML). The conference 
proceedings is published by Springer-Verlag as a book, titled
`Research and Development in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining' 
(Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1394).

Advance Program

April 15, Wednesday:
--------------------

Tutorials:

  Morning (9.00am - 12.00 noon):
    Chris Wallace (Monash University, Australia),
    Applications of Minimum Message Length in Data Analysis
  Afternoon (2.00pm - 5.00pm):
    Jiawei Han (Simon Fraser University, Canada),
    Data Mining: An Overview from Database Perspective

Pre-Conference Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Data Mining
    Full Day: http://ruby.doc.ic.ac.uk/workshop/

April 16, Thursday:
-------------------

8:30am - 8:45am
Introduction: Ross Quinlan and Bala Srinivasan, Conference Chairs

8:45 - 9:45 am
ACSys Keynote Talk: Jiawei Han
OLAP Mining: An Integration of Data Mining and Data Warehousing
Technologies

9:45am - 10:00am
Break

10.00am - 12.00 noon

Parallel Session 1:

 S4A: Data Mining in Temporal and Spatial Data
 Session Chair: David Cheung, Hong Kong University

 - Selective Materialization: An Efficient Method for Spatial Data
   Cube Construction
   by J. Han, N. Stefanovic and K. Koperski

 - Discovery of Association Rules over Ordinal Data: A New and Faster
   Algorithm and its Application to Basket Analysis
   by O. Buchter and R. Wirth

 - Discovering Associations in Spatial Data -- An Efficient Medoid
   Based Approach
   by V. Estivill-Castro and A. T. Murray

 - Mining Algorithms for Sequential Patterns in Parallel: Hash Based
   Approach
   by T. Shintani and M. Kitsuregawa

 - Data-Mining Massive Time Series Astronomical Data Sets -- a Case
   Study (Short Paper)
   by M.K. Ng, Z. Huang, and M. Hegland

Parallel Session 2:

 S4B: Rough Sets, Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks
 Session Chair: Ning Zhong, Yamaguchi University

 - Data Mining Using Dynamically Constructed Recurrent Fuzzy Neural
   Networks
   by Y. Frayman and L. Wang

 - Rough Set-Inspired Approach to Knowledge Discovery in Business
   Databases
   by W. Kowalczyk and Z. Piasta

 - Data Mining Based on the Generalization Distribution Table and
   Rough Sets
   by N. Zhong, J. Dong and S. Ohsuga

 - Using Rough Sets for Knowledge Discovery in the Development of a
   Decision Support System for Issuing Smog Alerts (Short Paper)
   by I. Jagielska

 - A Classification and Relationship Extraction Scheme for Relational
   Databases Based on Fuzzy Logic (Short Paper)
   by M. Vazirgiannis

12.00 - 1.30pm: Lunch

(Business Meeting at 1.00pm - 1.30pm)

1.30pm - 3.00pm

Parallel Session 1:

 S3A: Advanced Topics in Data Mining (1)
 Session Chair: Honghua Dai, The University of New England

 - Hybrid Data Mining Systems: The Next Generation
   by S. S. Anand and J. G. Hughes

 - Effect of Data Skewness in Parallel Mining of Association Rules
   by D. W. Cheung and Y. Xiao

 - Identifying Relevant Databases for Multidatabase Mining
   by H. Liu, H. Lu and J. Yao

Parallel Session 2:

 S3B: Induction of Rules and Decision Trees (1)
 Session Chair: Zijian Zheng, Deakin University

 - Representative Association Rules
   by M. Kryszkiewicz

 - Bayesian Classification Trees with Overlapping Leaves Applied to
   Credit-Scoring
   by G. Paass and J. Kindermann

 - Treatment of missing values for association rules
   by A. Ragel and B. Cremilleux

3.00pm - 4.00pm

Parallel Session 1:

 S2A: Agent and Internet Based Mining (Short Papers)
 Session Chair: Olivier de Vel, James Cook University

 - The Hunter and the Hunted -- Modelling the Relationship between Web
   Pages and Search Engines
   by D. L. Dowe, L. Allison and G. Pringle

 - Constructing Personalized Information Agents
   by C. H. Chang and C. C. Hsu

 - Learning User Preferences on the WEB
   by F. Jacquenet and P. Brenot

Parallel Session 2:

 S2B: New Tools and Algorithms for Data Mining (1)
 Session Chair: John Zeleznikow, La Trobe University

 - CCAIIA: Clustering Categorical Attributes into Interesting
   Association Rules
   by B. Gray and M. E. Orlowska

 - Contextual Text Representation for Unsupervised Knowledge Discovery
   in Texts
   by P. Perrin and F. Petry

4.00pm - 4.30pm: Break

4.30pm - 6.00pm

Parallel Session 1:

 S3C: Minimum Message Length Inference (MML)
 Session Chair: Kevin Korb, Monash University

 - Point Estimation Using the Kullback-Leibler Loss Function and MML
   by D. L. Dowe, R. A. Baxter, J. J. Oliver and C. S. Wallace

 - Single Factor Analysis in MML Mixture Modelling
   by R. T. Edwards and D. L. Dowe

 - Minimum Message Length Segmentation
   by J. J. Oliver, R. A. Baxter and C.S. Wallace

Parallel Session 2:

 S3D: Induction of Rules and Decision Trees (Short Papers)
 Session Chair: Huan Liu, National University of Singapore

 - An Efficient Global Discretization Method
   by K. M. Ho and P. D. Scott

 - CFMD: A Conflict-Free Multivariate Discretization Algorithm
   by Y. Lu, H. Liu and C. L. Tan

 - Characteristic Rule Induction Algorithm for Data Mining
   by A. Maeda, H. Maki and H. Akimori

 - Modelling Decision Tables from Data
   by J. Vanthienen and H. Timmermans

 - Mining Association Rules for Estimation and Prediction
   by T. Washio, H. Matsuura and H. Motoda

 - Mining Association Rules with Linguistic Cloud Models
   by D. Li, K. Di, D. Li, and X. Shi

7.00pm: Conference Dinner

April 17, Friday:
-----------------

8:30am - 8:45am
Introduction: Xindong Wu and Kotagiri Ramamohanarao, Program Chairs

8:45 - 9:45 am
Invited Talk: Chris Wallace
Intrinsic Classification with Spatial Correlation

9:45am - 10:00am
Break

10.00am - 12.00 noon

Parallel Session 1:

 S4C: Commercial Applications of Data Mining
 Session Chair: Graham Williams, CSIRO

 - Mining Market Basket Data Using Share Measures and Characterized
   Itemsets
   by R. J. Hilderman, C. L. Carter, H. J. Hamilton and N. Cercone

 - Knowledge Acquisition for Goal Prediction in a Multi-User Adventure
   Game
   by D. W. Albrecht, A. E. Nicholson and I. Zukerman

 - Discovering Case Knowledge Using Data Mining
   by S. S. Anand, D. Patterson, J. G. Hughes and D.A. Bell

 - Knowledge Discovery in Discretionary Legal Domains
   by J. Zeleznikow and A. Stranieri

 - Design Recovery with Data Mining Techniques (Short Paper)
   by C. Montes de Oca and D. L. Carver

Parallel Session 2:

 S4D: Induction of Rules and Decision Trees (2)
 Session Chair: Hiroshi Motoda, Osaka University

 - Mining Regression Rules and Regression Trees
   by B. Y. Sher, S. C. Shao and W. S. Hsieh

 - Improved Rule Discovery Performance on Uncertainty
   by M. R. Tolun, H. Sever and M. Uludag

 - Scaling Up the Rule Generation of C4.5
   by Z. Zheng

 - Interestingness of Discovered Association Rules in Terms of
   Neighborhood-Based Unexpectedness
   by G. Dong and J. Li

12.00 - 1.15pm: Lunch

1.15pm - 2.15pm
Invited Talk: Bhavani Thuraisingham
Data Warehousing, Data Mining, and Security

2.15pm - 3:15pm

Parallel Session 1:

 S2C: New Tools and Algorithms for Data Mining (2)
 Beat Wuthrich, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

 - Trend Directed Learning: A Case Study
   by H. Dai

 - Feature Mining and Mapping of Collinear Data
   by O. de Vel, D. Coomans and S. Patrick

Parallel Session 2:

 S2D: Advanced Topics in Data Mining (Short Papers)
 Session Chair: Yike Guo, Imperial College

 - Towards Real Time Discovery from Distributed Information Sources
   by V. Cho and B. Wuthrich

 - Multiple Databases, Partial Reasoning, and Knowledge Discovery
   by C. Nowak

 - A Data Mining Approach for Query Refinement
   by Y. Liu, H. Chen, J. X. Yu and N. Ohbo

3.15pm - 4.15pm

Parallel Session 1:

 S2E: Advanced Topics in Data Mining (2)
 Session Chair: Ming Zhao, Telstra

 - Wavelet Transform in Similarity Paradigm
   by Z. R. Struzik and A. Siebes

 - Automatic Visualization Method for Visual Data Mining
   by Y. Iizuka, H. Shiohara, T. Iizuka and S. Isobe

Parallel Session 2:

 S2F: New Tools and Algorithms for Data Mining (Short Papers)
 Session Chair: Hongjun Lu, National University of Singapore

 - Constructing Conceptual Scales in Formal Concept Analysis
   by R. Cole, P. Eklund and D. Walker

 - Empirical Results on Data Dimensionality Reduction Using the
   Divided Self-Organizing Map
   by T. Koshizen, H. Ogawa and J. Fulcher

 - The CLARET algorithm
   by A. Pearce and T. Caelli

 - LR Tree: A Hybrid Technique for Classifying Myocardial Infarction
   Data Containing Unknown Attribute Values
   by C. L. Tsien, H. S. F. Fraser and I. S. Kohane

 - Rule Generalization in Decision Tables Using Condition Combination
   by H. Xue and Q. Cai

4.15pm - 4.30pm: Break

4.30pm - 5:30pm Panel Discussion
To What Extent Can Data Mining Be Proceduralised?
Panel Chair: Ross Quinlan, RuleQuest Research Pty Ltd and UNSW

7:00pm
Program Committee Dinner

-------------------------------------------------------------

                       REGISTRATION FORM
                  PAKDD-98, 15-17 April 1998
     Melbourne Convention Centre, Flinders Street
                       Melbourne, Australia

Conference Registration Fee:

               Before 1 April 1998       After 1 April 1998
-------------------------------------------------------------
Regular (*)       AUS$400                      AUS$500
Student           AUS$200                      AUS$250
Tutorials     one: $100; both: $150      one: $150; both: $250
Workshop             $100                         $100

Registration for the Workshop only: $180

If you register for one tutorial only, please tick

        ________ by Jiawei Han  ________ by Chris Wallace

(*) Conference dinner included for regular registration only.

        ________ Yes, I would like to attend.

        ________ No, I do not wish to attend.

    $70 for student registration and/or for an additional ticket.

PLEASE TYPE OR PRINT:

Title: ______ First Name: ______________ Surname: _______________

Company: ________________________________________________________

Address: ________________________________________________________

City: _________________ State: __________  Post/Zip Code: _______

Country: ________________________________________________________

Phone: ___________________________ Fax: _________________________

Email: __________________________________________________________

                              Conference Fee: ___________________

                                Tutorial Fee: ___________________

                                Workshop Fee: ___________________

Conference dinner (for student registration): ___________________

           Extra-page charges (authors only): ___________________

                               Total Payment: ___________________

Payment should be made in Australian Dollars by cheque (check) or
international money order to MONASH UNIVERSITY and accompany the
registration form. Written cancellations received by 14 April 1998 will be
liable to a 50% service fee. After this date there will be no refund.

If you wish to pay by credit card, please complete the following:

Select one: ___ VISA  ___ Mastercard   Expiration Date: __________

Print name exactly as shown on card: _____________________________

Card Number: _____________________________________________________

Cardholder's signature: _________________________ Date: __________

Please return registration form and fee to:

   Michelle Riseley
   School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
   Monash University
   900 Dandenong Road
   Caulfield East, Melbourne 3145
   Australia

   Tel: +61-3-9903-2488
   Fax: +61-3-9903-1077
   E-mail: [email-masked]