Subject: PADD99 Call for Papers
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:45:39 +0200

PADD99 -  CALL FOR PAPERS
                            =============================

                   The Third International Conference and Exhibition on
          The Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining

                       Wednesday 21st April - Friday 23 April 1999
                 Commonwealth Insititue and Events Centre, London, UK

                                http://www.demon.co.uk/ar/PADD99/

            ****** Paper Submission deadline:  January 11th, 1999 ******

                           PADD99 is sponsored and supported to date by:

                                CompulogNet, LPA, WhiteCross Systems

The Event

The emphasis of PADD is unique.  It combines the peer-to-peer paper review
process of academic conferences with that of the applied industrial
mainstream commercial event.
The contrast of theory and practice, research and deployment is rarely
found elsewhere.

PADD99 will provide a rich blend of tutorials, invited talks, refereed
papers, panel discussions, poster session, social agenda and a full
industrial exhibition. The result is an ideal forum for the exchange of
ideas and knowledge, between experts from a broad spectrum of international
industries and key technologies.

This year PADD will form part of a five day Practical Application Expo
which will also include conferences on Agents, Logic Programming, Knowledge
Management and JAVA.
You are invited to register your interest in PADD99 by completing the reply
form below.

Venue

PADD99 will  take place at The Commonwealth Conference and Events Centre.
It enjoys a prime location in the heart of London, strategically situated
in Royal Kensington and Chelsea, leading onto High Street Kensington which
is home to one of London's premier shopping areas, and a selection of
quality hotels and restaurants.

To the North and East the Centre is bounded by the attractive Holland Park
which gives a semi-rural setting in the heart of London. Many of the seminar
rooms are air conditioned, have natural light and command splendid views
of the lawns and park.

Call for Papers

You are invited to submit a paper to PADD99. Your paper should fall into
one of the following categories.

*      Commercially available products

*      Internally deployed solutions

*      Fully advanced pre-production prototypes

There are two types of submission available:

    1.Paper
    2.Industrial Report

1.Paper

Paper submissions will be refereed by the programme committee. Accepted
papers will have 30 minutes to present their papers at the conference.

Your paper can be on virtually any area or issue related to Knowledge
Discovery and Data Mining. Papers can be of any length, up to a maximum of
20 pages, which might include but are not limited to the following:

              Telecommunications
              Health Care
              Marketing
              Internet Based Mining
              Finance
              Retail
              Customer Retention
              Fraud Detection
              Process Engineering/Industrial Control
              Transport

In addition this year, we are expanding the conference to address business
issues in Data Mining.
Papers are requested on Best Practices for Data Mining:

              Managing Data Mining Projects
              Cost Benefit Analysis
              Project Success Factors
              Risk Management
              Achieving High Level Sponsorship
              Knowledge Management
              Integrating OLAP Solutions
              Reasons for failure of Data Mining Projects

Especially of interest are papers that investigate the interface
between Knowledge Management, KDD and OLAP.

For further guidance please find below a by no means exhaustive list of the
underlying technologies identified by the organisers.

Rule Induction, Classification, Clustering, Inductive Logic Programming,
Pattern Recognition, Predictive Modelling, Neural Networks, Client/Server
Systems, Intelligent Agents, Knowledge Acquisition, Visualisation,
Dependency Detection, Uncertainty Handling, Sequence Processing,
Regression Methods for Prediction, Database issues in Data Mining, Fuzzy
Logic Approaches to Data Mining

2.Industrial Report

In recognition of the applied nature of PADD, we encourage the submission
of Industrial Reports. This type of submission is intended for professionals
who have little time to write a full paper, but who nevertheless, would like the
opportunity to present the benefits of their application at the conference.

Please forward a short paper (no more than 6 pages) describing your
application based on the guidelines below. Industrial Reports will receive a
fast track review.

Submission Policies

Submissions need to meet the conference objectives and achieve a balance
between application and theory and with this in mind we have produced
guidelines to help you achieve this. Please visit our web site for further
information.

Papers:     http://www.demon.co.uk/ar/PADD99/guidelines
Reports:    http://www.demon.co.uk/ar/PADD99/report
Please indicate which catagory your paper falls into on submission.

Papers and Industrial Reports will be published in the proceedings but note
that there will be a clear indication as to the type of submission.

In some cases revisions to submissions will be asked for by the programme
committee. Authors are responsible for making the required revisions and
submitting the final or revised version of the paper by the due date for
the final camera ready copy. Papers not meeting the revision requirements
will not be included in the Proceedings.

Papers from non English speakers are strongly encouraged, however we
would ask that your paper is proof read by a native English speaker, if
possible, before submission.

Submission Details

Five copies of your paper, in English, should be received by the conference
organisers, on or before January 11, 1999.

Please also submit an electronic version of your paper as a PDF file or Word
document. The email address for this will be made available in due course.

Please include a cover page including:
           1.Full Contact Details
           2.A Short Abstract

Authors of successful submissions will be notified by February 15, 1999.

Accepted papers in camera-ready format will be due by March 15, 1999.

**Important Note**

Please use the following address when sending your papers to us.

PADD99
54 Knowle Avenue
Blackpool
Lancs   FY2 9UD
UK

Call for Exhibitors

The conference also provides an opportunity for software vendors and
developers to demonstrate KDD systems. You are invited to contact the
organiser to arrange for your application to be exhibited at the event.

Programme Committee

The PADD99 Programme Committee comprises a number of highly influential
figures who are recognised experts in the field of Knowledge Discovery and
Data Mining.  Chaired by Neil Mackin of White Cross Systems Ltd., this
programme committee is drawn from industry leaders and first class
universities and research organisations.

Howard Arner Jr                         ADS, USA
Chid Apte                                      IBM Research, USA
Howard F. Arner Jr.                     ADS, USA
Max Bramer                                 University of Portsmouth, UK
Alex Freitas                                  CEFET-PR, Brazil
Ramon Lopez de Mantaras             IIIA, Spain
Hendrick Blockeel                        University of Leuven, Belgium
Usama Fayyad                               Microsoft Research, USA
Koichi Furukawa                          Keio University, Japan
Warwick Graco                             Health Insurance Commission, Australia
Chris Harris-Jones                      AMS Management Systems, UK
Yves Kodratoff                              LRI, France
Nada Lavrac                                  Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
Hing Yan Lee                                 Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore
Sally McClean                               University of Ulster, UK
Trevor Martin                              University of Bristol, UK
Abraham Meidan                           WizSoft, Israel
Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro         Knowledge Stream Partners, USA
Huw Roberts                                 BT Laboratories, UK
Claude Sammut                             Univ. of New South Wales, Australia
Colin Shearer                               ISL, UK
Evangelos Simoudis                      IBM, USA
Lisa Sokol                                     MRJ Technology Solutions, USA
Ramasamy Uthurusamy                General Motors, USA
Phil Vasey                                     LPA, UK
Ruediger Wirth                            Daimler Benz AG, Germany
Stefan Wrobel                               GMD, Germany
Chris Volinsky                              AT&T Labs, USA
Xindong Wu                                   Monash University, Australia

Organisation

The Conference is organised by The Practical Application Company. The
Sponsorship and Exhibition Coordinator is Clive Spenser, PMG Treasurer, and
Marketing Director of Logic Programming Associates.

---------------------------------------------------
To register interest please take the time to fill in this quick reply form
and send it to [email-masked]

Name:

Position:

Organisation:

Address:

Postcode:

Country:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-mail:

URL:

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PADD99 (Give provisional title if possible)

[ ]     I may submit an Industrial Report to PADD99 (Give provisional title
         if possible)

[ ]     I may wish to attend PADD99 as a delegate

[ ]     My company may wish to sponsor or exhibit at the event

[ ]     I have no interest in this technology. But keep me informed of other
         events in your advanced software technology series

[ ]    I am interested in other events at the Practical Application Expo

[ ]     I have no interest in this. Please remove me from the mailing list

-------------------------------------------------------

The Practical Application Company
PO Box 137
Blackpool
Lancs FY2 9UN
UK
Tel:  +44 (0)1253 358081
Fax: +44 (0)1253 353811
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:  http://www.demon.co.uk/ar/TPAC/