Subject: CFP-PADD97:The Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
From: Stefan Wrobel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 09:38:24 +0200

>Path: nntp.gmd.de!news.ruhr-uni-bochum.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!rz.uni-karlsruhe.de!blackbush.xlink.net!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!howland.erols.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!in2.uu.net!EU.net!usenet2.news.uk.psi.net!uknet!usenet1.news.uk.psi.net!uknet!dispatch.news.demon.net!demon!alroth.demon.co.uk
>From: [email-masked]
>Newsgroups: comp.ai
>Subject: CFP-PADD97:The Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
>Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 17:19:44 +0100
>Lines: 244
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>NNTP-Posting-Host: alroth.demon.co.uk
>X-NNTP-Posting-Host: alroth.demon.co.uk
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Macintosh; I; PPC)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

PADD97 - The First International Conference and Exhibition on
=============================================================
The Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
======================================================================
====

Wednesday 23rd April - Friday 25th April 1997, London, UK

The Commercial Value of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining:- An 
Exploration Through Practical Applications

PADD97 - The First International Conference and Exhibition on the 
Practical Application of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining is a new 
conference that aims to demonstrate the use of this key technology for 
solving real-world problems in business, industry, and commerce.

This event is being sponsored by the European Union to showcase 
powerful industrial and commercial applications of KD and DM-based 
software.  The conference will include presentations from leading 
international companies that are successfully introducing this 
innovative technology.

The annual PADD conference provides a major international forum for 
information exchange, and includes plenary sessions, a multi-track 
conference, introductory and advanced tutorials, round-table 
discussions, and full industrial exhibition. The event will provide 
unrivalled insights into leading-edge applications, systems, 
development tools, and techniques.

Call for Participation

Vast amounts of data are being collected by organisations.  KD and DM 
techniques are used to extract and transform hidden information into 
valuable knowledge through the discovery of relationships and 
patterns.  Business processes are improved and solutions found to 
problems.

The latest research suggests that firms who invest in setting up a 
data warehouse and the software to mine it can expect a high return 
on their investment.  As databases begin to permeate virtually
all aspects of information storage, from e-mail systems to web 
servers, we expect this return to increase dramatically.  

It is quickly being recognized as an essential business intelligence 
tool....a necessary ingredient to discovering the information 
necessary to improve a company's market presence and differentiate 
their products and services in today's global marketplace.

With the rapid advance in data capture , transmission and storage, 
large systems users will increasingly need to implement new and 
innovative ways to use the knowledge hidden in their data.  A wealth 
of potential business opportunities are available through the use of 
this technology.

PA EXPO97

PADD will form part of a five day Practical Application Expo which 
will also include PAP97-The Practical Application of Prolog, 
PACT97-The Practical Application of Constraint Technology and 
PAAM97-The Practical Application of Intelligent Agent and Multi Agent 
Technology.

You are invited to register your interest for PADD97 by completing the 
reply form below.

Call for Papers

We invite you to submit a paper or industrial report describing 
fielded applications which exploit KD and DM technology and which 
emphasize the following aspects:

        * Actual business benefits and business problems addressed

        * Either innovative KD and DM techniques applied to standard 
domains
          or significant new applications of standard techniques

        * Issues and methods of resolution to get the application
          implemented and deployed

        * why KDD was appropriate

        * How benefits are measured

Papers can be of any length, up to a maximum of twenty pages, and on 
virtually any KD and DM related topic, which might include, but are 
not limited to the following:

Rule Induction
Classification
Clustering
Summarisation
Learning Systems
Inductive Logic Programming
Pattern Recognition
Predictive Modelling
Neural Networks
Client/Server Systems
Intelligent Agents
Knowledge Acquisition
Decisional Data Analysis
Visualisation
Dependency Detection
Uncertainty Handling
Sequence Processing
Regression Methods for Prediction
Database issues in Data Mining

Since PADD97 focuses on the real-world benefits of KD and DM 
technology, preference will be given to papers describing fielded 
applications, especially in the business arena. Also of interest are 
descriptions of advanced prototypes, tools and techniques, and general 
survey papers which indicate the future direction this important 
technology will take.  Authors must clearly state whether the systems 
described are in routine use, and discuss the criteria used for 
assessing the performance of both fielded systems and advanced 
prototypes.

Dates:
        Submission Deadline:  November 29th, 1996
        Notification:              January 31st, 1997
        Final Papers due:        February 28th, 1997

Submission Details

Five copies of papers written in English, should be received by the 
conference organiser, at the address below, on or before November 
29th, 1996.
Please include a short abstract, and covering page containing full 
contact details and e-mail address.  Authors of successful submissions 
will be contacted by 31st January 1997.  Accepted papers (in a 
camera-ready format) will be due by February 28th, 1997.   

If submitting your paper by courier please use the following address.

PADD97
54 Knowle Avenue
Blackpool
Lancs   FY2 9UD
UK  

Call for Demonstrations, Workshops and Tutorials 

The conference also provides an opportunity for software vendors and 
developers to demonstrate KDD systems. You are invited to contact the 
organiser to arrange for your application to be exhibited at the 
event. If you would like to organise a workshop or tutorial, or wish 
to see a particular topic covered, please contact us. 

Programme Committee

The PADD97 Programme Committee comprises a number of highly 
influential figures who are recognised experts in the field of 
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.  Chaired by Howard Arner Jr of 
ADS, this programme committee is drawn from industry leaders and first 
class universities and research organisations. 

Chid Apte                                  IBM Research, USA.
Howard Arner  Jr                     ADS, USA  
Max Bramer                              University of Portsmouth, UK
Ivan Bratko                                Ljubljana University, 
Slovenia
Luc De Raedt                               University of Leuven, 
Belgium     
George Drastal                          Siemens, USA
Peter Edwards                           University of Aberdeen, UK
Usama Fayyad                            Microsoft Research, USA
Koichi Furukawa                         KEIO University, Japan
Nada Lavrac                              J. Stefan Institute, Slovenia
Herve Perdrix                           ISOFT, France
Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro        GTE Laboratories, USA
Claude Sammut                           University of New South Wales, 
Australia
V. Seshadri                               AT&T,USA
Colin Shearer                            ISL, UK
Evangelos Simoudis                    IBM, USA  
Gheorghe Tecuci                        George Mason University, USA 
and Romanian Academy, Romania 
Ken Totton                                BT Laboratories, UK
Ramasamy Uthurusamy             General Motors, USA
Phil Vasey                                LPA, UK
Stefan Wrobel                          GMD, Germany
Xindong Wu                              Monash University, Australia

Organisation

The Conference is organised by The Practical Application Company. The 
Sponsorship and Exhibition Coordinator is Clive Spenser, PMG 
Treasurer, and Marketing Director of Logic Programming Associates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
------- 
To register interest please take the time to fill in this quick reply 
form 
and send it to [email-masked]

Name:

Position:

Organisation:

Address:

Postcode:

Country:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-mail:

URL:

[ ]     I may submit a paper to PADD97 (Give provisional title if 
possible)

[ ]     I may wish to attend PADD97 as a delegate

[ ]     My company may wish to sponsor or exhibit at the event

[ ]     I have no interest in this technology. But keep me informed of 
other
        events in your advanced software technology series

[ ]    I am interested in other events at the Practical Application 
Expo

[ ]     I have no interest in this. Please remove me from the mailing 
list

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------