Subject: [CFP] NIPS*96 CALL FOR PAPERS
From: [email-masked] (Sue Becker)
Date: 29 Feb 96 23:34:30 CST
Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience,comp.ai,comp.ai.neural-nets,comp.speech,comp.robotics.research,comp.dsp,sci.image.processing,sci.stat.math

CALL FOR PAPERS

         Neural Information Processing Systems -- Natural and Synthetic 
                  Monday December 2 - Saturday December 7, 1996 
                              Denver, Colorado

This is the tenth meeting of an interdisciplinary conference which brings
together cognitive scientists, computer scientists, engineers, neuro-
scientists, physicists, and mathematicians interested in all aspects of neural
processing and computation.  The conference will include invited talks and
oral and poster presentations of refereed papers.  The conference is single
track and is highly selective.  Preceding the main session, there will be one
day of tutorial presentations (Dec. 2), and following will be two days of
focused workshops on topical issues at a nearby ski area (Dec. 6-7).  Major 
categories for paper submission, with example subcategories, are as follows:

Algorithms and Architectures:  supervised and unsupervised learning
algorithms, constructive/pruning algorithms, decision trees, localized basis
functions, layered networks, recurrent networks, Monte Carlo algorithms,
combinatorial optimization, performance comparisons

Applications:  database mining, DNA/protein sequence analysis, expert systems, 
fault diagnosis, financial analysis, medical diagnosis, music processing,
time-series prediction

Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science:  perception, natural language,
human learning and memory, problem solving, decision making, inductive
reasoning, hybrid symbolic-subsymbolic systems

Control, Navigation, and Planning:  robotic motor control, process control,
navigation, path planning, exploration, dynamic programming, reinforcement
learning

Implementation:  analog and digital VLSI, optical neurocomputing systems,
novel neuro-devices, simulation tools, parallelism

Neuroscience:  systems physiology, signal and noise analysis, oscillations,
synchronization, mechanisms of inhibition and neuromodulation, synaptic
plasticity, computational models

Speech, Handwriting, and Signal Processing:  speech recognition, coding, and
synthesis, handwriting recognition, adaptive equalization, nonlinear noise
removal, auditory scene analysis

Theory:  computational learning theory, complexity theory, dynamical systems,
statistical mechanics, probability and statistics, approximation and
estimation theory

Visual Processing:  image processing, image coding and classification, object
recognition, stereopsis, motion detection and tracking, visual psychophysics

Review Criteria:  All submitted papers will be thoroughly refereed on the
basis of technical quality, significance, and clarity.  Novelty of the work
is also a strong consideration in paper selection, but, to encourage
interdisciplinary contributions, we will consider work which has been
submitted or presented in part elsewhere, if it is unlikely to have been seen
by the NIPS audience.  Authors should not be dissuaded from submitting recent
work, as there will be an opportunity after the meeting to revise accepted
manuscripts before submitting final camera-ready copy.

Paper Format:  Submitted papers may be up to seven pages in length, including
figures and references, using a font no smaller than 10 point.  Submissions
failing to follow these guidelines will not be considered.  Authors are
encouraged to use the NIPS LaTeX style files obtainable by anonymous FTP at 
the site given below.  Papers must indicate (1) physical and e-mail addresses 
of all authors; (2) one of the nine major categories listed above, and, if
desired, a subcategory; (3) if the work, or any substantial part thereof, has
been submitted to or has appeared in other scientific conferences; (4) the 
authors' preference, if any, for oral or poster presentation; this preference 
will play no role in paper acceptance; and (5) author to whom correspondence 
should be addressed.

Submission Instructions:  Send six copies of submitted papers to the address
below; electronic or FAX submission is not acceptable.  Include one
additional copy of the abstract only, to be used for preparation of the
abstracts booklet distributed at the meeting.  SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY
MAY 24, 1996.  From within the U.S., submissions will be accepted if mailed
first class and postmarked by May 21, 1996.

Mail submissions to:

   Michael Jordan 
   NIPS*96 Program Chair 
   Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, E10-034D 
   Massachusetts Institute of Technology 
   79 Amherst Street
   Cambridge, MA  02139  USA

Mail general inquiries and requests for registration material to:

   NIPS*96 Registration 
   Conference Consulting Associates 
   451 N. Sycamore
   Monticello, IA  52310

   fax: (319) 465-6709  (attn: Denise Prull)

   e-mail: [email-masked]

Copies of the LaTeX style files for NIPS are available via anonymous ftp at

   ftp.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.206.173) in /afs/cs/Web/Groups/NIPS/formatting

The style files and other conference information may also be retrieved via
World Wide Web at

   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/NIPS

NIPS*96 Organizing Committee: General Chair, Michael Mozer, U.  Colorado;
Program Chair, Michael Jordan, MIT; Publications Chair, Thomas Petsche,
Siemens; Tutorial Chair, John Lazzaro, Berkeley; Workshops Co-Chairs, Michael
Perrone, IBM, and Steven Nowlan, Lexicus; Publicity Chair, Suzanna Becker,
McMaster; Local Arrangements, Marijke Augusteijn, U. Colorado; Treasurer,
Eric Mjolsness, UCSD; Government/Corporate Liaison, John Moody, OGI;
Contracts, Steve Hanson, Siemens, Scott Kirkpatrick, IBM, Gerry Tesauro,
IBM.  Conference arrangements by Conference Consulting Associates,
Monticello, IA.

            DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF SUBMISSIONS IS MAY 24, 1996

*******  Crossposted: comp.robotics.research (moderated)  *******
  Summary: Academic, government & industry research in robotics.
           Charter: ftp://ftp.robot.ireq.ca/pub/crr/Charter
                    Submissions: [email-masked]
       Meta-discussions/information: [email-masked]