Subject: CFP: Workshop on Learning for Autonomous Robots
From: [email-masked] (Henry H Hexmoor)
Date: 28 Aug 1995 17:05:22 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.ai

An International Workshop on Learning for Autonomous Robots

ROBOLEARN-96

Preliminary Call For Papers

Key West, Florida, USA -- May 19-20, 1996

This workshop will be held in conjunction with FLAIRS-96.

Designing robots that can accomplish tasks in the real world is a
difficult problem due to the complexity and unpredictability of the
environment.  Thus, really useful robots and autonomous creatures must
learn new know-how and improve on old know-how to be successful.  This
know-how may involve developing maps, action policies, or more basic
reactive responses.  Autonomous agents may adapt through associative
mechanisms such as neural networks, inductive techniques such as
reinforcement learning, evolutionary processes such as genetic
algorithms, or analytic techniques such as explanantion-based
learning. Machine learning is a large research area within which we
focus on learning techniques viable for robots and autonomous agents
that must operate in complex environments.  These learning techniques
can be used to improve lower level motor skills or higher level
reasoning skills.  We prefer results with implemented physical agents.
More than what is learned, we are interested in discussion of well
established as well as novel learning techniques, and in learning
issues that remain as open problems.

SUBMISSION

Authors must submit, by ftp, a compressed postscript version of their
paper which should be at most 10 double-spaced pages.  The first page
should include the title but should not identify the author in any
manner.  A separate cover page should also be submitted containing the
author's name, physical address, email address, phone number,
affiliation and paper title.  In cases of multiple authors, all
correspondence will be sent to the first author unless otherwise
requested.

ftp ftp.cs.buffalo.edu 
and put your submission in users/hexmoor/robolearn96

Papers must be received by December 15, 1996.  Authors of accepted
papers will be notified by February 15, 1996.  The final camera-ready
copy of the papers will be expeced by April 15, 1996.  Final papers
must consist of at most 5 galley pages.

For those who can't submit papers electronically and all other
communications direct your communication to the following address:

Henry Hexmoor 
Dept. of Computer Science 
SUNY at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Email: [email-masked]

PUBLICATION

All accepted papers will be published in the workshop proceedings. As
well, a selected subset of the papers will be invited for inclusion
(subject to refereeing) in a book or in a special issue of a journal.

ORGANIZATION

Chairs:

Henry Hexmoor and Lisa Meeden

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Minoru Asada, Osaka University
George Bekey, USC 
Doug Blank, Indiana University 
Long-Ji Lin, Siemens 
Gary McGraw, Indiana University  
Sridhar Mahadevan, University of South Florida 
Ulrich Nehmzow, University of Manchester  
Ashwin Ram, Georgia Tech 
Justinian Rosca, University of Rochester 
Sebastian Thrun, U of Bonn (and CMU) 
Toby Tyrrell, Plymouth Marine Laboratory
Brian Yamauchi, Stanford Robotics Laboratory 

SPONSORING ORGANIZATIONS

Sponsorship for ROBOLEARN-96 is being sought from the American Association for
Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), and Florida Artificial Intelligence Research 
Society (FLAIRS),

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANT DATES

December 15, 1995       Submission deadline <BR>
February 15, 1996      Notification of acceptance <BR>
April 15, 1996         Camera-ready copy deadline <BR>
May 19-20, 1996        ROBOLEARN-96 Workshop <BR>
May 20-22, 1996        FLAIRS-96 Conference <BR>

See WWW page for latest details--