Subject: KDD-96 Call for Papers
From: [email-masked] (KDD-96 Account)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 02:50:14 +0100

=========================================================================
                     C a l l   F o r   P a p e r s
=========================================================================

                 The Second International Conference on

              Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-96)
              --------------------------------------------

                Portland, Oregon, USA, August 3-5, 1996
                =======================================

           Sponsored by AAAI and Collocated with AAAI-96 and UAI-96.

      visit the KDD-96 WWW page at http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/kdd96 

Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD), also referred to as Data Mining,
is an area of common interest to researchers in machine discovery,
statistics, databases, knowledge acquisition, machine learning, data
visualization, high performance computing, and knowledge-based systems. The
rapid growth of data and information has created a need and an opportunity for 
extracting knowledge from databases, and both researchers and application 
developers have been responding to that need. KDD applications have been 
developed for astronomy, biology, finance, insurance, marketing, medicine,
and many other fields.  

The first international conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data
Mining (KDD-95), held in Montreal in August 1995, was an outstanding success, 
attracting over 340 participants.  The second international conference 
will follow up the success of KDD-95 by bringing together researchers and 
application developers from different areas focusing on unifying themes. 
The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   Theory and Foundational Issues in KDD:
      Data and knowledge representation for KDD
      Probabilistic modeling and uncertainty management in KDD
      Modeling of structured, unstructured and multimedia data
      Metrics for evaluation of KDD results
      Fundamental advances in search, retrieval, and discovery methods
      Definitions, formalisms, and theoretical issues in KDD

   Data Mining Methods and Algorithms:
      Algorithmic complexity, efficiency and scalability issues in data mining
      Probabilistic and statistical models and methods
      Using prior domain knowledge and re-use of discovered knowledge
      Parallel and distributed data mining techniques
      High dimensional datasets and data preprocessing
      Unsupervised discovery and predictive modeling

   KDD Process and Human Interaction:
      Models of the KDD process
      Methods for evaluating subjective relevance and utility
      Data and knowledge visualization
      Interactive data exploration and discovery
      Privacy and security

   Applications:
      Data mining systems and data mining tools
      Application of KDD in business, science, medicine and engineering
      Application of KDD methods for mining knowledge in text, image, 
         audio, sensor, numeric, categorical or mixed format data
      Resource and knowledge discovery using the Internet

This list of topics is not intended to be exhaustive but an indication of 
typical topics of interest. Prospective authors are encouraged to submit 
papers on any topics of relevance to knowledge discovery and data mining.

DEMONSTRATION SESSIONS:
KDD-96 also invites working demonstrations of discovery systems.  Exact
details on how to arrange a demo at KDD-96 will be forthcoming.

SUBMISSION AND REVIEW CRITERIA: 
Both research and applications papers are solicited.  All submitted papers 
will be reviewed on the basis of technical quality, relevance to KDD, 
novelty, significance, and clarity.  Authors are encouraged to make their 
work accessible to readers from other disciplines by including a carefully
written introduction. Papers should clearly state their relevance
to KDD.

Please submit 5 *hardcopies* of a short paper (a maximum of 9 single-spaced 
pages not including cover page but including bibliography, 1 inch margins, and 
12pt font) to be received by March 18, 1996. A cover page must include author(s)
full address, E-MAIL, paper title and a 200 word abstract, and up to 5 keywords.
This cover page must accompany the paper.  In addition, an ASCII version of 
the cover page should be sent electronically via email to
[email-masked] by March 18th 1995 (preferably earlier for e-mail). 
For the electronic title page, authors are required to use the template
made available by ftp. Please visit http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/kdd96/ to 
retrieve the electronic template.

Please mail the 5 hardcopies of the full papers to :     
                                AAAI (KDD-96)
                                445 Burgess Drive
                                Menlo Park, CA 94025-3496
                                U.S.A.
Phone: (+1 415) 328-3123; Fax: (+1 415) 321-4457    Email: [email-masked]

     *********** I m p o r t a n t   D a t e s ****************
     * 5 copies of full papers received by:    March 18, 1996 *
     *   (in addition to an electronic ASCII title page)      *
     * acceptance notices:                     April 19, 1996 *
     * final camera-readies due to AAAI by:    May 20, 1996   *
     **********************************************************

KDD-96 Organization:
====================

General Conference Chair:  Usama M. Fayyad, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
KDD-96 Publicity Chair:    Padhraic Smyth, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
KDD Sponsorship Chair:     Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, GTE Laboratories
	
Program Co-chairs:
==================
        Evangelos Simoudis       (IBM Almaden Research Center)
        Jia Wei Han              (Simon Fraser University)

Program Committee
=================
        Rakesh Agrawal            (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
        Tej Anand                 (AT&T Global Information Solutions, USA)
        Ron Brachman              (AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA)
        Wray Buntine              (Heuristicrats Research, USA)
	Nick Cercone		  (University of Regina, Canada)
        Peter Cheeseman           (NASA AMES Research Center, USA)
	Bruce Croft               (University of Massachusetts at Amherst, USA)
        Steve Eick                (AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA)
        Usama Fayyad              (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, USA)
        Clark Glymour             (Carnegie-Mellon University, USA) 
        George Grinstein          (University of Lowell, USA)
        David Hand                (Open University, UK)
        David Heckerman           (Microsoft Corporation, USA)
        Se June Hong              (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA)
        Tomasz Imielinski         (Rutgers University, USA)
        Larry Jackel              (AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA)
        Larry Kerschberg          (George Mason University, USA)
        Willi Kloesgen            (GMD, Germany)
        David Madigan             (University of Washington, USA)
        Chris Matheus             (GTE Laboratories, USA)
        Heikki Mannila            (University of Helsinki, Finland)
        Sham Navathe              (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
        Raymond Ng                (University of British Columbia, Canada)
        Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro (GTE Laboratories, USA)
        Daryl Pregibon            (AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA)
        Ted Senator               (US Department of the Treasury, USA)
        Wei-Min Shen              (University of Southern California, USA)
        Arno Siebes               (CWI, Netherlands)
        Andrzej Skowron           (University of Warsaw, Poland)
        Steve Smith               (Dun and Bradstreet, USA)
        Padhraic Smyth            (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, USA)
        Ramakrishnan Srikant      (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
        Alex Tuzhilin             (NYU Stern School, USA)
        Ramasamy Uthurusamy       (GM Research Laboratories, USA)
        Xindong Wu                (Monash University, Australia)
        Wojciech Ziarko           (University of Regina, Canada)
        Jan Zytkow                (Wichita State University, USA)

For further information, send inquiries regarding
      * submission logistics to AAAI at [email-masked]
            Phone: (+1 415) 328-3123; Fax: (+1 415) 321-4457 
      * KDD-96 sponsorship and industry participation to:
        Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro at [email-masked] 
            Phone: 617-466-4236, Fax: 617-466-2960
      * technical program and content to [email-masked]
      * general and publicity issues to [email-masked]