Subject: [[email-masked] (Yves Kodratoff): Announcement]
From: [email-masked] (MLnet Admin)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 14:00:20 0000

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 14:12:17 +0200
From: [email-masked] (Yves Kodratoff)
To: mlnet
Subject: Announcement
Content-Type: text
Content-Length: 3749

Can you advertise that? Thanks. Yves

Symposium on  Knowledge Discovery in Databases at 
EMCSR'96 

April 9 -12, 1996

Information relative to the European Meeting on Cyb. and Sys. Res.
in http://www.ai.univie.ac.at

Knowledge discovery in databases (KDD) is a new research area at the 
intersection of machine learning, statistics, and databases. Hence, submitted 
papers must not describe only an improvement in one of the three concerned 
fields, but some interaction between at least two of them. KDD and Data 
Mining have already received attention from Industry, and we will welcome 
papers describing KDD applications on large sets of data of industrial 
interest. We would like to promote other issues as well, such as the 
formalization of the KDD approach (theories for KDD), and the 
epistemological, philosophical, and ethical issues.

Just before the symposium, will take place a tutorial on KDD, delivered by 
Usama Fayyad and Evangelos Simoudis, two pioneers of this area. The 
tutorial costs $ 275 and its duration is about 4 hours of teaching. After the 
tutorial, a free demonstration of some publicly available KDD software will 
take place.
*** Please reserve for the tutorial through the Conference Secretariat ***

Selection committee:
+++++++++++++++++++++

Pieter Adriaans, Christoph Breitner, Wray Buntine, Werner Emde, Usama 
Fayyad, Ronen Feldman, Jean-Gabriel Ganascia, Olivier Gascuel, Attilio 
Giordana, Willi Kloesgen, Yves Kodratoff, Heikki Mannila, Thierry van de 
Merckt, Ryszard Michalski, Katharina Morik, Vassilis Moustakis, Reza 
Nakhaeizadeh, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Luc De Raedt, Michele Sebag, 
Colin  Shearer, Arno Siebes, Derek Sleeman, Charles Taylor, Ruediger 
Wirth, Stefan Wrobel. 

Submission Guidelines
+++++++++++++++++++++

Acceptance of contributions will be determined on the basis of Draft Final 
Papers.
These papers must not exceed 10 single-spaced A4 pages (maximum 43 
lines, max.
line length 160 mm, 12 point), in English. They have to contain the final 
text to be
submitted, including graphs and pictures. However, these need not be of 
reproducible
quality. The Draft Final Paper must carry the title, author(s) name(s), and 
affiliation
(incl. e-mail address, if possible) in this order. 

***Please specify the symposium in which you would like to present your 
paper.***

Each scientist shall submit only one paper. 
Please send four hard copies of 
the Draft Final Paper to the Conference Secretariat  
****(do NOT send them to symposia chairpersons!) **** 
Electronic or fax submissions cannot be accepted. 

Deadline for Submission: October 12, 1995.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Authors will be notified about acceptance or rejection no later than 
December 
11, 1995. Successful authors will be provided by the conference secretariat 
at 
the same time with the instructions for the preparation of the final paper, 
which will also be available via ftp and World-Wide Web. 

Final Papers
++++++++++++

The final paper will be limited to a maximum of 6 pages (10-point, double 
column).Camera-ready copies of the final paper will be due at the 
conference 
secretariat by Jan. 29, 1996.

Presentation
++++++++++++

It is understood that each accepted paper is presented personally at the  
Meeting 
by one of its authors. 

Conference Fee
++++++++++++++

AS 2800 if received before January 31, 1996 
AS 3300 if received later
AS 3800 if paid at the conference desk.

Secretariat
+++++++++++

I. Ghobrial-Willmann and G. Helscher 
Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
A-1010 Vienna 1, Schottengasse 3 (Austria)
Phone: +43-1-53532810
Fax: +43-1-5320652
E-mail: [email-masked] 

------- End of Forwarded Message