Subject: CFP: 11th Banff Workshop on KA
From: Mark Musen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 10:46:41 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.ai

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: KAW'98

                         Eleventh Workshop on
           Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling, and Management
                            Voyager Inn
                   Banff, Canada, April 18-23, 1998

               http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW.html

              ---- Draft Papers Due October 31, 1997 -----

The knowledge-acquisition workshops provide a forum for those developing
theories, methods, systems, and empirical studies that relate to the
process of building intelligent systems of all kinds.  Increasing
emphasis has been placed on approaches for modeling expertise and for
management of knowledge within a variety of computational frameworks.

To encourage vigorous interaction and exchange of ideas, the workshop
will be kept small--to about 50 participants. The format is designed to
develop extensive discussions and continuing collaboration on
significant issues; thus, the majority of the workshop will be devoted
to activities within small working groups that each will meet for one or
two days, in parallel with other workshop activities over the course of
the week. In plenary sessions, we will attempt to define the state of
the art and future research needs.  General attendance will be limited
to those submitting their work, one author per paper.

The meeting is structured to support specialist subgroups that will have
their own working agendas, as well as plenary meetings for general
knowledge exchange. In addition to the submission of papers, we welcome
proposals for new specialist sessions and minitracks that may include a
small number of invited participants who can help investigators in the
area of knowledge acquisition to form bridges with other research
communities.

Ten sessions or minitracks have so far been scheduled for the workshop. 
Additional information about each of the minitracks has been (or will
soon be) posted to the world-wide web page for KAW'98
(http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW.html) and will appear on the KAW
list server (archives of which are accessible from the KAW web page). 
The corresponding topics, and the organizers of the sessions, are as
follows:

1. Knowledge management and knowledge distribution through the Internet
     Rose Dieng          [email-masked]  (INRIA-Sophia)
     Henrik Eriksson     [email-masked]              (U Linkoping)
     Knut Hinkelmann     [email-masked]     (U Kaiserslautern)
     Frank Maurer        [email-masked]     (U Calgary)
     R. Uthurusamy       [email-masked]             (General Motors)

2. Shareable and reusable components for knowledge systems
     Richard Benjamins   [email-masked]        (CSIC, Barcelona)
     Adam Farquhar       [email-masked]        (Stanford U)
     Dieter Fensel       [email-masked]   (U of Karlshue)
     John Gennari        [email-masked]    (Stanford U)

3. Visual knowledge-modeling languages and environments
     Dickson Lukose      [email-masked]     (U Calgary)
     Rob Kremer          [email-masked]     (U Calgary)

4. Knowledge modeling using conceptual graphs
     Dickson Lukose      [email-masked]     (U Calgary)
     Guy Mineau          [email-masked]        (U Laval)

5. Knowledge acquisition from natural language
     Fernando Gomez      [email-masked]       (U Central Florida)

6. Knowledge modeling for agent-based systems
     Frances Brazier     [email-masked]            (Free U Amsterdam)
     Jan Treur           [email-masked]              (Free U Amsterdam)

7. Process support for knowledge acquisition: The quest for quidelines
     Guus Schreiber      [email-masked]    (U of Amsterdam)

8. Evaluation of knowledge-acquisition methodologies
     Tim Menzies         [email-masked]        (U New South Wales)
     Frank van Harmelen  [email-masked]             (Free U Amsterdam)
     Greg Yost           [email-masked]            (Ellora Software)

9. Sisyphus III and IV knowledge-engineering studies
     Rob Kremer          [email-masked]     (U Calgary)
     Nigel Shadbolt      [email-masked]         (U Nottingham)

10. System demonstrations -- Sun, Mac, PC and Internet
     Rob Kremer          [email-masked]     (U Calgary)

Individuals who feel they have a new perspective to offer which does not
fit into a specialist session are also invited to submit papers.  Such
papers are especially welcome, but will be expected to offer significant
new insights.

Draft papers (up to 20 pages) should be sent electronically to Brian
Gaines before October 31, 1998. Acceptance and revision notices will be
e-mailed by December 31, 1997. Revised papers (up to 20 pages) should be
submitted by February 28, 1998, so that hardcopies may be bound together
for distribution at the workshop.  Authors who submit papers to the
workshop will be expected to help with the refereeing of papers
submitted by other individuals.

Submission and review of papers, and coordination of all aspects of the
meeting, will be through the Internet.  The proccedings will be
published on the World Wide Web and the preferred form of submission is
HTML.  To submit a paper, simply e-mail the corresponding URL to
[email-masked].  Alternatively, FTP a tar file to
ftp://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/incoming (with an email note to
[email-masked] when the paper is transferred).  It is
preferable if the submission is as close as possible in format to that
required for the final proceedings.  See the KAW web site for details.

Authors should indicate the most appropriate session/minitrack for each
submission.  If there is uncertainty regarding the optimum track for a
paper, authors should contact the chairs of the track that seems
closest, preferably in advance of the submission deadline.  Depending on
the range of papers received, some tracks may be collapsed whereas other
tracks may be added in advance of the workshop.

Demonstrations of mature software systens will be an important feature
of the workshop, and a range of high-performance workstations will be
provided.  Authors submitting to this track should contact Rob Kremer
about the logistics of setting up demonstrations and showing videos.

Participation by graduate students is particularly encouraged. There
will be a number of awards for reduced conference fees to full-time
graduate students whose papers are accepted.  If appropriate, please
indicate that you wish to apply for such an award when you submit a
paper.

Workshop Co-chairs:

Brian R. Gaines
Department of Computer Science
University of Calgary
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
(403) 220-5901
[email-masked]

Mark A. Musen
Section on Medical Informatics
Stanford University
Stanford California, USA  94305-5479
(650) 723-6979
[email-masked]