Subject: CFP: 10th Banff KA Workshop
From: Mark Musen <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 18:31:53 +0100

Call for Participation KAW'96
   Tenth Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based Systems Workshop
                   Banff, Canada, November 9-14, 1996

                ---- Draft Papers Due May 31, 1996 -----

The objective of the annual knowledge-acquisition workshops is to provide a
forum for those developing theories, methods, systems, and empirical studies
that relate to the process of building intelligent systems of all kinds.

To encourage vigorous interaction and exchange of ideas, the workshop will be
kept small--to about 40 participants. The format is designed to develop
extensive discussions and continuing collaboration on significant issues;
thus, the majority of the workshop will be devoted to activities within small
working groups that each will meet for one or two days, in parallel with other
workshop activities over the course of the week. In plenary sessions, we will
attempt to define the state of the art and future research needs.  General
attendance will be limited to those submitting their work, one author per
paper.

The meeting is structured to support specialist subgroups that will have their
own working agendas, as well as plenary meetings for general knowledge
exchange. In addition to the submission of papers, we welcome proposals for
new specialist sessions and minitracks that may include a small number of
invited participants who can help investigators in the area of knowledge
acquisition to form bridges with other research communities.

Eight sessions or minitracks have so far been scheduled for the workshop.  The
corresponding topics, and the organizers of the sessions, are as follows:

1. Distributed knowledge modeling over the Internet
       Frank Maurer          [email-masked] (U Kaiserslautern)
       Henrik Eriksson       [email-masked]              (Linkoping U)

2. Corporate memory and enterprise modeling
       Rose Dieng            [email-masked]  (INRIA-Sophia)
       Johan Vanwelkenhuysen [email-masked]  (INRIA-Sophia)

3.  Shareable and reusable ontologies
      Gertjan van Heijst     [email-masked]      (U of Amsterdam)
      Nicola Guarino	     [email-masked]    (NRC, Italy)

4.  Shareable and reusable problem-solving methods
      Dieter Fensel	     [email-masked]	 (U of Karlshue)
      Richard Benjamins	     [email-masked]      (U of Amsterdam)
      B. Chandrasekaran      [email-masked]  (Ohio State Univ)

5. Knowledge acquisition from natural language
      Fernando Gomez         [email-masked]       (U Central Florida)

6. Agent-oriented approaches to knowledge engineering
      Frances Brazier        [email-masked]		 (Free U of Amsterdam)
      Jan Treur              [email-masked]              (Free U of Amsterdam)

7. KA for temporal reasoning and planning
      Yuval Shahar	     [email-masked]	 (Stanford U)
      Samson Tu	             [email-masked]       (Stanford U)

8. System demonstrations -- Sun, Mac, PC and Internet
      Rob Kremer             [email-masked]     (U Calgary)

Individuals who feel they have a new perspective to offer which does not fit
into a specialist session are also invited to submit papers.  Such papers are
especially welcome, but will be expected to offer significant new insights.

Draft papers (up to 20 pages) should be sent electronically to Brian Gaines
before May 31, 1996. Acceptance and revision notices will be e-mailed by July
31, 1996. Revised papers (20 pages) should be submitted by September 30, 1996,
so that hardcopies may be bound together for distribution at the workshop.
Authors who submit papers to the workshop will be expected to help with the
refereeing of papers submitted by other individuals.

Submission and review of papers, and coordination of all aspects of the
meeting, will be through the Internet.  Papers should be transmitted in
postscript or common document processor format (e.g., Microsoft Word) either
by e-mail to [email-masked], or by FTP to ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca in
directory /incoming (with an email note to [email-masked] when the
paper is transferred).

Authors should indicate appropriate sessions/minitracks for each submission.
If there is uncertainty regarding the optimum track for a paper, authors
should contact the chairs of the track that seems closest, preferably in
advance of the submission deadline.  Depending on the range of papers
received, some tracks may be collapsed whereas other tracks may be added in
advance of the workshop.

Demonstrations of mature software systens will be an important feature of the
workshop, and a range of high-performance workstations will be provided.
Authors submitting to this track should contact Rob Kremer about the logistics
of setting up demonstrations and showing videos.

Participation by graduate students is particularly encouraged. There will be a
number of awards for reduced conference fees to full-time graduate students
whose papers are accepted.  If appropriate, please indicate that you wish to
apply for such an award when you submit a paper.

The world-wide web (WWW) will be used to coordinate the meeting and to provide
further details of the tracks, paper formats, conference arrangements, and so
on.  Please see the following URL for more information about the workshop:

  http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW.html

Workshop Co-chairs:

Brian R. Gaines
Department of Computer Science
University of Calgary
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
(403) 220-5901
[email-masked]

Mark A. Musen
Section on Medical Informatics
Knowledge Systems Laboratory
Stanford University
Stanford CA, USA  94305-5479
(415) 723-6979
[email-masked]