Subject: CALL: Special Issue of IJHCS/KA
From: [email-masked] (Brian Gaines)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 21:19:50 +0100

I lost the final section of this mailing when I first sent it, with
deadlines and abstract.

IJHCS/KA is experimenting with a peer commentary special issue on
Using Explicit Ontologies in KBS Development, and I encourage all members
of the KA community to submit material, b.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        Call for Papers

                       Special Issue of the

International Journal of Human-Computer Studies/Knowledge Acquisition

           on Using Explicit Ontologies in KBS Development

IJHCS/KA invites contributions to a special issue consisting of a
seminal paper by van Heijst, Schreiber and Wielinga together with
associated papers and commentaries.

The main paper is already available through the Internet. Other
contributions to the special issue can range from short comments
on some aspect of this paper, through longer commentaries on the
issues raised with links to related work, to complete papers related
to the topic of using explicit ontologies in KBS developments.

This call is available on the web at:

  http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/IJHCS/VH.html

The paper is directly available on the web at:

  http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/IJHCS/VH

and in compressed PostScript and PDF formats at:

  ftp://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/www/IJHCS/VH/VH.ps.Z

  ftp://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/www/IJHCS/VH/VH.pdf

Submissions should be submitted electronically by ftp to the directory:-

  ftp://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/incoming

together with email to the editor:-

  [email-masked]

noting that an article has been submitted to the special issue.

Submissions should be in PostScript, PDF or HTML, and it is preferable
if all formats are supplied.

Submissions will be made available electronically for comments by
others and to help coordinate the special issue.

Submissions will be reviewed in the normal way taking into account
their role in the special issue.

General information on IJHCS/KA is available at:

  http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/IJHCS

and information for authors at

  http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/IJHCS/IJHCS_IA.html</a>

**Deadlines**

The special issue will be published in the Fall of 1996. If you intend
to submit material please notify Brian Gaines
as soon as possible. Contributions should be submitted by March 31.
Comments will be returned by April 30 and final versions due by May 31.

**Abstract of Lead Paper**

Using Explicit Ontologies in KBS Development

G. van Heijst A.Th. Schreiber B.J. Wielinga
University of Amsterdam
Department of Social Science Informatics
Roetersstraat 15 NL-1018 WB, Amsterdam
gertjan,schreiber,[email-masked]

This article presents a number of ways in which ontologies - schematic
descriptions of the contents of domain knowledge - can be constructed and can be
used to improve the knowledge engineering process. The main message is that
early
in the knowledge engineering process an application-specific ontology should be
constructed. To facilitate this, the article presents some principles for
organizing a library of reusable ontological theories which can be configured
into an application ontology. This application ontology is then exploited to
organize the knowledge acquisition process and to support computational design.
The process is illustrated with a knowledge engineering scenario in the
domain of
treating acute radiation syndrome.