Subject: IJCAI-99 Workshop on Intelligent Information Integration
From: Dieter Fensel <[email-masked]> (by way of Dieter Fensel <[email-masked]>)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:05:12 +0100

IJCAI-99 Workshop on
               Intelligent Information Integration=20
		         31 July 1999, Stockholm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/dfe/iii99.html
			http://www.dsv.su.se/ijcai-99/
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The growth of the Internet and other on-line information repositories has
greatly simplified the access to numerous sources of information. But it
has become cliche to observe that this growth has vastly complicated tasks
involving finding, extracting, merging or synthesizing such information.

With today's tools, a tourist planning a trip to Paris cannot simply fetch
from the Web a map showing all Italian restaurants close to the Eiffel
Tower, although this information may well be available on the Web if maps
of Paris, lists of restaurants, and of tourist sites are combined. The
problems is one not of information distribution, but of information
integration. Building tools to simplify access to the wealth of available
information constitutes a significant challenge to computer science.
Artificial Intelligence is well-suited to this challenge, with its emphasis
on heuristic solutions, knowledge representation and knowledge-intensive
techniques, explicit management of uncertainty, learning and adaptivity,
planning, and so forth.

Over the past several years, the "information integration" community in AI
has been exploring these issues. The result has been substantial progress
on problems such as representing information sources; planning
information-gathering actions; handling semantic heterogeneity; optimizing
queries; caching; exploiting ontological knowledge; tools for Web sites
construction; resource discovery; automatically learning to access sources;
and scaling information-gathering systems up to the "real world".
Information on workshops on this topic is available at www.tzi.de/grp/i3
and www.isi.edu/ariadne/aiii98-wkshp/index.html.

Topics of interest include:

   * modeling the contents of information systems
   * flexible approaches to selecting relevant sources
   * approaches for efficient and flexible query planning
   * learning or constructing wrappers for extracting data
   * resolving inconsistencies in identifying objects
   * integration approaches using ontologies/contexts
   * design principles for ontologies used for integration
   * languages for information integration
   * advanced integration architectures
   * semantic, schematic, vocabulary, data heterogeneity
   * information sources in Internet, Intranet
   * classification schemes (for mediators, semantic heterogeneity, etc.)
   * tools for supporting information integration
   * reviews and evaluation of existing integration approaches
   * practical experience with integration approaches
   * theoretical perspectives of information integrations
   * ontology mapping, ontology algebras and context logic
   * intelligent information retrieval
   * security aspects
   * change management
   * federated databases and multi-databases
   * integration of uncertain or inaccurate sources

------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT DATES

                Submission deadline:        1 April 1999

                Notification of
                acceptance:                 1 May 1999

                Camera ready copy and
                author registration due:    1 June 1999

                Workshop:                  31 July 1999

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

Authors should submit a full paper electronically either as a Postscript,
HTML or PDF. In addition, authors should submit an ASCII version of their
title page with abstract by email.

To submit your paper, send it's URL to [email-masked]

Submission Format: The first page of submitted papers should include:
title, author names, affiliations, postal addresses, electronic mail
addresses, telephone and fax numbers for all authors, and a brief abstract.
All correspondence will be sent to the author designated as contact person
in the electronic title page. Submissions should not exceed 6000 words and
should be printed on 8.5" x 11" or A4 paper with at least 1 inch margins on
all sides. A publication of selected articles in a special issue of a
journal is planned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

 Dieter Fensel                                Craig Knoblock
 Institute AIFB                               Information Sciences
 University of Karlsruhe                      Institute
 D-76128 Karlsruhe - GERMANY                  Department of Computer
 email: [email-masked]   Science
 phone: +49 721-6084751                       University of Southern
 fax: +49 721-693717                          California
                                              4676 Admiralty Way
                                              Marina del Rey, CA 90292 -
                                              USA
                                              email: [email-masked]
                                              phone: +1 310-822-1510 x786
                                              fax: +1 310-822-0751

 Nicholas Kushmerick                        Marie-Christine Rousset
 Department of Computer Science             LRI, B=E2timent 490
 University College Dublin                  Universit=E9 de Paris-Sud
 Dublin 4 - IRELAND                         91405 ORSAY Cedex - FRANCE
 email: [email-masked]                         email: [email-masked]
 phone: +353 1-706-2479                     phone: +33 (1) 69 15 61 97
 fax: +353 1-269-7262                       fax: +33 (1) 69 15 65 86

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBERS

   * Franz Baader (RWTH Aachen, Germany)
   * V. Richard Benjamins (University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam)
   * Oliver Duschka (Socratix Systems, USA)
   * Enrico Franconi (University of Manchester, UK)
   * Daniela Florescu (INRIA, France)
   * Mark Friedman (University of Washington, USA)
   * Asuncion Gomez Perez (Technical University of Madrid UPM, Spain)
   * James Hendler (University of Maryland, USA)
   * Chun-Nan Hsu (Academia Sinica, Taiwan)
   * Manfred Jeusfeld (KUB Tilburg University, The Netherlands)
   * Mounia Lalmas (University of London, UK)
   * Maurizio Lenzerini (Univ of Rome, Italy)
   * Alon Y. Levy (University of Washington, USA)
   * Eduardo Mena (University of Zaragoza, Spain)
   * Robert Meersman (Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
   * Steve Minton (Information Sciences Institute, USA)
   * Werner Nutt (Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel)
   * Ulrich Reimer (Swisslife, Switzerland)
   * John Sowa (Binghamton University, USA)
   * Rudi Studer (University of Karlsruhe, Germany)
   * Holger Wache (University of Bremen, Germany)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROCEEDINGS: The workshop proceedings will be available on-line.

=20
Dieter Fensel
Institut AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
tel: +49-721-6084751, fax: +49-721-693717,
email: [email-masked]
URL=3Dhttp://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/~dfe