Subject: IEA/AIE'96 (Japan)
From: [email-masked] (B.e.Ayeb)
Date: 9 Sep 1995 11:21:50 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.ai,can.ai,comp.ai.fuzzy

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

                                 IEA/AIE-96

       The Ninth International Conference on Industrial & Engineering
          Applications of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems

         ACROS Fukuoka, Tenjin Chuo-ku Fukuoka Japan, June 4-7, 1996

                                Sponsored by 
               International Society of Applied Intelligence
                      Fukuoka Institute of Technology

                            in Cooperation with 
       AAAI, ACM/SIGART, CSCSI, ECCAI, IEE, IEEE-CS, IEEJ, IEICE, IM&C,
            INNS, IPSJ, JCSS, JNNS, JSAI, JSME, JSPE, SICE, SOFT

HISTORY
    This conference has been held in Tennessee, USA; South Carolina, USA;
Hawaii, USA; Paderborn, Germany; Edinburgh, Scotland; Texas, USA; Melbourne,
Australia; and now visits the Orient for the first time.

CONFERENCE TOPICS
    IEA/AIE-96 continues the tradition of emphasizing the application of
Artificial Intelligence and Expert/Knowledge-based systems to engineering
and industrial problems. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

    * Automated Problem Solving         * CAD/CAM
    * Case-based Reasoning              * Computer Vision
    * Connectionist Models              * Dependability of AI/ES
    * Distributed AI Architectures      * Expert Systems
    * Fuzzy Logic & Soft Computing      * Genetic Algorithms
    * Heuristic Searching               * Intelligent Computer Network
    * Intelligent Databases             * Intelligent Interface
    * Intelligent Tutoring              * KBS Methodologies
    * Knowledge Acquisition             * Knowledge Representation
    * Machine Learning                  * Model-Based Reasoning
    * Natural Language Processing       * Neural Networks
    * Planning & Scheduling             * Practical Applications
    * Reasoning Under Uncertainty       * Robotics
    * Sensor Fusion                     * Spatial & Temporal Reasoning
    * Speech Recognition                * System Integration
    * Tools                             * Verification & Validation of KBSs

CALL FOR PAPERS
    Authors are invited to submit five copies of papers, written in English,
of up to 10 single-spaced pages, presenting the results of original research
or innovative practical applications relevant to one or more of the listed
areas of interest. Practical experiences with state-of-the-art AI methodologies
are also acceptable when they reflect lessons of unique value to the conference
attendees. Shorter works, up to 6 pages, to be presented in 10 minutes, may be
submitted as short papers representing work in progress or suggesting possible
research directions. Submissions should be received by the program co-chair at
IEA/AIE-96 conference office by November 8, 1995. All papers should include a
key word list. Notification of the review process will be made by January 22,
1996, and final copies of papers will be due for inclusion in the conference
proceedings by February 20, 1996. Referees will be asked to nominate papers
for a Best Paper Prize to be announced at the conference. All papers, but
particularly those nominated for Best Paper Competition, will be automatically
considered for a place in the Journal of Applied Intelligence.

GENERAL CHAIR
  Moonis Ali, Southwest Texas State University

PROGRAM CHAIR
  Setsuo Ohsuga, Waseda University

PROGRAM CO-CHAIR
  Takushi Tanaka, Fukuoka Instistitute of Technology

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
  Makoto Amamiya, Kyushu U, Japan       Frank Anger, U West FL, USA
  Bechir el. Ayeb, U Sherbrooke, Can.   Fevzi Belli, U Paderborn, Germany
  Gautam Biswas, Vanderbilt U, USA      Ivan Bratko, U Ljubljana, Slovenia
  Joe R. Brown, MCC, USA                B. G. Buchanan, U Pittsburgh, USA
  Kai H. Chang, Auburn U, USA           Hon Wai Chun, City U, Hong Kong
  Paul Chung, Loughborough U, UK        Tony Cohn, U Leeds, UK
  Alain Costes, LAAS-CNRS, France       Jose Cuena, U Politec. Madrid, Spain
  Roberto Desimone, SRI, USA            Ken Ford, U West FL, USA
  Graham Forsyth, DSTO, Australia       Shuichi Fukuda, Tokyo Metro. IT, Jp.
  Toshio Fukuda, Nagoya U, Japan        Andreas Guenter, U Hamburg, Germany
  Mehdi T. Harandi, U Illinois, USA     Koichi Hori, U Tokyo, Japan
  Masumi Ishikawa, KIT Iizuka, Japan    Shun Ishizaki, Keio U, Japan
  Masatoshi Ito, Tokyo IT, Japan        Shuichi Iwata, U Tokyo, Japan
  Lakhmi C. Jain, UNISA, Australia      K. Kawamura, Vanderbilt U, USA
  Shigenobu Kobayashi, Tokyo IT, Jp.    Jay Liebowitz, G.Washington U, USA
  Michael Magee, U Wyoming, USA         W.Marquardt, RWTH Aachen, Germany
  Gen Matsumoto, ETL, Japan             Manton Matthews, U S Carolina, USA
  Drew McDermott, Yale U, USA           John Mitchiner, Sandia N Lab., USA
  Riichiro Mizoguchi, Osaka U, Japan    Hiroshi Motoda, ARL, Hitachi, Japan
  Masao Mukaidono, Meiji U, Japan       Yi Lu Murphey, U Michigan-Dbn, USA
  Isao Nagasawa, KIT Iizuka, Japan      Toyoaki Nishida, NAIST, Japan
  Gordon S. Novak, U Texas, USA         Norio Okino, Kyoto U, Japan
  Dick Peacocke, BNR, Canada            Francois Pin, Oak Ridge N Lab., USA
  Don Potter, U Georgia, USA            Henri Prade, U Paul Sabatier, France
  F.J. Radermacher, U Ulm, Germany      Rita Rodriguez, U West FL, USA
  Erik Sandewall, Linkoping U, Sweden   Nigel Shadbolt, U Nottingham, UK
  Mildred L.G. Shaw, U Calgary, Canada  Katsuhiko Shirai, Waseda U, Japan
  Yoshiaki Shirai, Osaka U, Japan       Reid Simmons, CMU, USA
  Motoi Suwa, ETL, Japan                Michio Suzuki, CRIEPI, Japan
  Takao Terano, Tsukuba U, Japan        Spyros Tzafestas, NTU Athens, Greece
  Ian H.Witten, U Waikato, New Zealand  Takeshi Yamakawa, KIT Iizuka, Japan

INQUIRIES
  Prof. Moonis Ali                      Prof. Takushi Tanaka
  IEA/AIE-96 General Chair              IEA/AIE-96 Conference Office
  Dept. of Computer Science             Fukuoka Institute of Technology
  Southwest Texas State University      3-30-1, Wajiro-Higashi
  San Marcos TX 78666-4616              Higashi-ku Fukuoka 811-02
  U.S.A.                                Japan
  Phone:+1-512-245-3409                 Phone:+81-92-606-3131 ext. 2297
  Fax:  +1-512-245-8750                 Fax:  +81-92-606-1342
  E-mail: [email-masked]                  E-mail: [email-masked]

INTERNET
  http://www.fit.ac.jp/ieaaie.html

The proceedings will be published and will be available at the conference.
Copies of the proceedings of earlier conferences are available from:
Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Customer Service, P.O.Box 786,
Cooper Station, New York, NY 10276; Fax:(+1)212-645-2459
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am interested in attending or receiving information on IEA/AIE-96. Please
put my name on the mailing list.

Name:_________________________  E-mail Address:____________________________
Full Postal Address:_______________________________________________________
Phone [Country] (area) number: [       ] (        ) _______________________ 
Fax Number:                    [       ] (        ) _______________________ 
Please check. [ ]  I would like to have registration information.  
              [ ]  I would like to submit a paper.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mail, e-mail or fax to Prof. Moonis Ali or to Prof. Takushi Tanaka; addresses
are given in the Inquiries item. A colour brochure of IEA/AIE-96 is available.