Subject: CFP: Workshop on Learning for Text Categorization at AAAI/ICML
From: Mehran Sahami <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 23:40:38 PST

* Apologies if you received this message multiple times *

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

                     AAAI/ICML-98 Workshop on
                 Learning for Text Categorization

              to be held July 27, 1998 in Madison, WI

The enormous growth of on-line information, has led to a comparable
growth in the need for methods that help users organize such
information.  One area in particular that has seen much recent
research activity is the use of automated learning techniques to
categorize text documents.  Such methods are useful for addressing
problems including, but not limited to: keyword tagging, word sense
disambiguation, information filtering and routing, sentence parsing,
clustering of related documents and classification of documents into
pre-defined topics.

The aim of this workshop is to examine recent theoretical,
methodological, and practical innovations from the various communities
interested in text categorization.  The workshop will cover recent
advances from such fields as Machine Learning, Bayesian Networks,
Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Case-Based
Reasoning, Language Modeling and Speech Recognition.  By analyzing the
different underlying assumptions and state-of-the-art methodologies
used in text categorization research, as well as successful
applications of this work, we hope to foster new interactions between
researchers in this area.

Particular topics of interest for the workshop include, but are not
limited to: text representations, classification methods, clustering
methods, formal models, feature selection and data transformation
methods, evaluation metrics, and innovative applications of text
categorization systems.

The workshop will include paper presentations, invited talks,
and numerous opportunities for discussion.  Those interested in making
a presentation should submit a paper (4-8 pages) describing their
recent work in text categorization.  Submissions regarding work in
progress and preliminary results are encouraged.  Those interested in
participating in the workshop, but not submitting a paper, should
submit a one-page abstract of their research interests in learning
methods for text categorization.  Attendence is limited to 50
participants.

Important Dates:
	March 11, 1998	  Submission deadline
	April 1, 1998     Notification to authors
	April 22, 1998    Camera-ready copies due
	July 27, 1998     Workshop date

Paper and abstract submissions can be sent via electronic mail as a
PostScript document, or a URL to a PostScript document to:
[email-masked].  Alternatively, 5 hard copies of
the paper or abstract can be sent to:

Thorsten Joachims
Universitaet Dortmund
FB Informatik VIII
44221 Dortmund
Germany
Phone: +49/231/755-5102
FAX: +49/231/755-5105

For further information, check the WWW page:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mccallum/textcat.html

Workshop Committee:

Mehran Sahami (Chair)
	Gates Building 1A
	Computer Science Department
	Stanford University
	Stanford, CA 94305-9010
	[email-masked]
	Phone: (650) 725-8784
	FAX: (650) 725-1449	

Mark Craven ([email-masked]) Carnegie Mellon University
Thorsten Joachims ([email-masked]) Universitaet Dortmund 
Andrew McCallum ([email-masked]) Justsystem Pittsburgh Research Center