Subject: CFP: 14th ICML-97
From: "Jeffrey C. Schlimmer" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

Preliminary Call for Papers
 
THE FOURTEENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MACHINE LEARNING
 
                      July 8-12, 1997

                 Nashville, Tennessee, USA
 
The Fourteenth International Conference on Machine Learning 
(ICML-97) will be held at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, 
Tennessee from July 8 to July 12, 1997. ICML-97 is co-located 
with the Tenth Annual Conference on Computational Learning 
Theory (COLT-97), and the organizers anticipate fruitful 
interactions between the two communities. The ICML-97 program
proper includes a half day of tutorials on July 8 (organized 
in conjunction with COLT-97), a technical program that runs 
from July 9 through July 11, and a day of workshops on 
July 12.

Submissions are invited that describe empirical, theoretical,
and cognitive modeling research in all areas of machine 
learning. In addition, papers from related disciplines (e.g.,
information retrieval, statistics, pattern recognition) that 
deal with adaptive intelligence, (semi-)automated knowledge 
acquisition, or (semi-)automated knowledge organization are 
welcome. Submissions that describe the application of machine
learning methods to real-world problems are encouraged, but 
such submissions should speak to general issues of machine
learning, perhaps illustrating novel learning methods or 
demonstrating the utility of established methods in 
previously unexplored settings.

Authors must submit 4 hardcopies of their submissions, as 
well as a copy of their title page via electronic mail. The 
mailing addresses for hardcopies are:

**Regular Mail**                  **Express Mail**
  
Doug Fisher/ICML-97               Doug Fisher/ICML-97
Department of Computer Science    Department of Computer Science
Box 1679, Station B               1500 21st Ave. South
Vanderbilt University             Room 433, Village at Vanderbilt
Nashville, TN 37235 USA           Nashville, TN 37212 USA 
  
                                  615-322-2796 (Express mail forms)

Submissions must arrive by **January 22, 1997.**
Acceptance decisions will be mailed by **March 24, 1997.**
Camera-ready copies will be due by **April 18, 1997.**

A copy of the title page should be sent via electronic mail
to [email-masked] by **January 20, 1997** (note 
the date).

The title page should accompany each hardcopy submission, in 
addition to being sent through electronic mail. The title 
page, both the electronic and hardcopy versions, should be 
formatted as follows:

   Title: 

   Author(s) with address(es):

   Abstract (200 word maximum):

   Keywords:

   Email address of contact author:

   Phone number of contact author:

   Multiple submission statement (if applicable):

The title page should be detachable from the main body of the 
paper. The main body should include the paper's title and 
abstract, but not the authors, keywords, or contact 
information.

The main body (excluding detachable title page, but including
everything else such as title, abstract, figures, tables,
and references) of a submission must not exceed **16** pages 
formatted as follows: 12 point font, single-spaced 
(Baselineskip = 0.1875 inches or 0.4763 cm), a maximum 
per-page text width of 5.5 inches (14.00 cm), and a maximum 
per-page text height of 7.5in (19 cm). If the Chair believes 
that a submission exceeds 660 square inches or 4258 square 
centimeters (under 12pt, single space assumptions), then the 
submission will be rejected without review, and an 
explanation will be provided to the author(s). Submissions 
with text on both sides of each page are encouraged.

For complete submission requirements, as well as information 
on registration, housing, workshops, and tutorials, see

   http://cswww.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~mlccolt/icml97/index.html

or send email to    
 
   [email-masked].