Subject: CFP: 2nd Int'l. Conference on the Learning Sciences
From: [email-masked] (Daniel C. Edelson)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 15:22:39 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.edu

CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMONSTRATIONS
                      Due Date: Monday, January 8, 1996

      Second International Conference on the Learning Sciences (ICLS '96):
                         Learning for the Real World

                           Northwestern University
                                Evanston, IL
                              July 24-27, 1996

 
        In the five years since the First International Conference on the
Learning Sciences, the field of the Learning Sciences has matured
significantly.  Advances in the understanding of human learning and
innovations in computing technologies have led to new applications and
pedagogical frameworks, many of which have left the laboratory and are
being deployed in varied educational and corporate settings.  Examples
include complex simulation environments for corporate training, modeling
and visualization tools for K-12 education, indexed multimedia databases
for community outreach, and collaboration tools for diverse users and
settings.
 
        The Second International Conference on the Learning Sciences (ICLS
'96) will bring together professionals from academia and industry to share
problems and insights on fostering effective learning to serve real world
needs.  The special focus of the conference will be on tested innovations
in both education and training.  The goal for this conference is to share
experience and insights across a diverse group of researchers, developers,
practitioners, consumers, and policy makers in order to inform design of
the next generation of instructional environments.  With representatives
from cognitive science, artificial intelligence, multimedia, training, and
education, the conference is designed to bring individuals faced with
challenging real world problems together with individuals who offer
innovative solutions.
 
        The conference will be held on the Northwestern University campus
in Evanston, Illinois over 2-1/2 days, from the evening of Wednesday July
24, 1996 through the morning of Saturday July 27th.  The program will
feature plenary addresses by invited speakers, technical paper and poster
sessions, a demonstration session, and a banquet.  We are seeking
high-quality papers reporting novel research results or experience with
theoretically grounded instructional frameworks.  Submitted papers will be
evaluated through peer review with respect to several criteria, including
originality, quality, and significance of research, relevance to the theme
of the conference, and clarity of presentation.  Accepted papers will be
presented at the conference as talks or posters, as appropriate.  Papers
may present results from completed research as well as report on current
research with an emphasis on novel approaches, methods, ideas, and
perspectives.
 
                         ---------------------
                         THE LEARNING SCIENCES
                         ---------------------
 
The Learning Sciences lie at the boundary of the disciplines of education,
psychology, and computer science.  The Learning Sciences are concerned
with the application of research in three areas:

   DESIGN. Design of learning and teaching environments, including
innovative curricula, multimedia, artificial intelligence, and 
telecommunications technologies, and classroom activity structures for 
supporting learning and teaching.

   COGNITION. Models of the structures and processes of learning and 
teaching by which  organized knowledge, skills, and understanding are 
acquired.

   SOCIAL CONTEXT. The social, organizational, and cultural dynamics of
learning and teaching across the range of formal and informal settings.

                   ----------------------------------
                   REQUIREMENTS FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS
                   ----------------------------------
 
        We invite interested individuals to submit papers on a wide range
of education and training topics, emphasizing designs based on insights
from cognitive science, novel applications of technology, or relevant
experience from the front lines.  Preference will be given to papers that
present innovations tested in real-world education and training settings.
Submissions representing collaborations across traditional boundaries are
especially encouraged, e.g., industry/academic or school/researcher.
Papers will be published in the conference proceedings.
 
        For receipt NO LATER than Monday, January 8, 1996, authors should
submit five (5) copies of the paper in hard copy form to:
 
        ICLS '96 Paper Submissions
        Institute for the Learning Sciences
        Northwestern University
        1890 Maple Ave.
        Evanston, IL  60201
 
        If confirmation of receipt is desired, please use certified mail or
enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard.
 
LENGTH:  Papers should be a maximum of eleven (11) pages long (excluding
only the cover page but including figures and references), with 1 inch
margins on all sides (i.e., the text should be 6.5 inches by 9 inches,
including footnotes but excluding page numbers), double-spaced, and in
12-point type.  Each page should be numbered (excluding the cover page).
Camera-ready papers will be required only after authors are notified of
acceptance.  Appropriate formats will be made available at a later date.
Please note that the specified length for submitted papers is intended to
be somewhat shorter than the length of papers published in the proceedings
in order to allow room for meaningful revisions in response to reviewers'
comments.
 
COVER PAGE:  Each copy of the paper must include a cover page, separate
from the body of the paper, which includes:
    1) Title of the paper;
    2) Full names, postal addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses
       of all authors;
    3) An abstract of no more than 200 words;
    4) Three to five keywords in decreasing order of relevance.  The keywords
       will be used in the index for the proceedings;
    5) Preference for presentation format: "Talk or Poster", "Talk Only", or
       "Poster Only".  Accepted papers will be presented either as talks or
       posters, depending on authors' preference and reviewers' recommendations
       about which would be more suitable, and will not reflect the quality of
       the papers.
 
DEADLINE:  Papers must be received by Monday, January 8, 1996.  Papers
received after this date will be recycled.
 
SAMPLE TOPICS:
    -  Application of cognitive theories in education and training.
    -  Social and cultural factors in learning and teaching.
    -  Innovative frameworks for course design.
    -  Designs for pedagogically sound computer-based learning environments.
    -  Authoring tools and guidelines to speed the creation of learning
       environments.
    -  Development of large-scale multimedia resources for education and
       training.
    -  User-interface design for learning environments.
    -  Integration of innovative designs for learning into classrooms in
       schools and businesses.
    -  Designs for fostering social interaction for effective learning.
    -  Technological support for collaborative learning.
    -  Learning in organizations.
    Special Training Topics:
    -  Major challenges facing industrial trainers.
    -  Major deficits in worker preparedness.
    -  Successful training applications in industrial settings.
    -  Interesting failures of training approaches.
    -  Methods for assessing success in industrial training settings.

                ----------------------------------------
                REQUIREMENTS FOR DEMONSTRATION PROPOSALS
                ----------------------------------------
 
        We invite interested individuals to submit proposals for technology
demonstrations illustrating applications of novel approaches to problems of
education and training.  Preference will be given to demonstrations that
represent systems that have been used in real-world education and training
settings.  Submissions representing collaborations across traditional
boundaries are especially encouraged, e.g., industry/academic or
school/researcher.  The demonstration session will be held on the second
night of the conference.
 
        For receipt NO LATER than Monday, January 8, 1996, authors should
submit five (5) copies of the demonstration proposal in hard copy form to:
 
        ICLS '96 Demonstration Proposals
        Institute for the Learning Sciences
        Northwestern University
        1890 Maple Ave.
        Evanston, IL  60201
 
        If confirmation of receipt is desired, please use certified mail or
enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope or postcard.
 
LENGTH:  Demonstration proposals must be a maximum of two (2) pages long
(excluding only the cover page), with 1 inch margins on all sides (i.e.,
the text should be 6.5 inches by 9 inches, including footnotes but
excluding page numbers), double-spaced, and in 12-point type.  Each page
should be numbered (excluding the cover page).
 
COVER PAGE:  Each copy of the proposal must include a cover page, separate
from the body of the proposal, which includes:
    1) Title of the demonstration system;
    2) Full names, postal addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of all
       authors;
    3) An abstract of no more than 200 words;
    4) A description of the system's hardware requirements.
 
DEADLINE:  Demonstration proposals must be received by Monday, January 8,
1996.  Proposals received after this date will be recycled.

                       ------------------------------
                       GENERAL CONFERENCE INFORMATION
                       ------------------------------
 
Critical Dates
 
    January 8, 1996    Papers and proposals received
    March   1, 1996    Notification of acceptance/rejection
    April   1, 1996    Final camera-ready papers due
    July   24, 1996    Conference in Evanston, IL

ICLS '96 Organizers
 
    Conference Chair:
        Roger C. Schank    Northwestern University
    Program Co-chairs:
        Daniel Edelson     Northwestern University
        Eric Domeshek      Northwestern University
    Program Committee (preliminary, as of 8/15/95):
        Larry Birnbaum     Northwestern University
        Allan Collins      Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
        Andrea diSessa     University of California at Berkeley
        Tom Duffy          Indiana University
        Gerhard Fischer    University of Colorado at Boulder
        Susan Goldman      Vanderbilt University
        Louis Gomez        Northwestern University
        Mark Guzdial       Georgia  Institute of Technology
        Jan Hawkins        Center for Children and Technology
        Janet Kolodner     Georgia Institute of Technology
        Timothy Koschmann  Southern Illinois University
        Alan Lesgold       University of Pittsburgh
        Marcia Linn        University of California at Berkeley
        Alan Nowakowski    Andersen Consulting
        Roy Pea            Northwestern University
        Ashwin Ram         Georgia Institute of Technology
        Brian Reiser       Northwestern University
        Mitchel Resnick    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
        Chris Riesbeck     Northwestern University
        Jeremy Roschelle   University of California at Berkeley
        Elliot Soloway     University of Michigan
        Jim Spohrer        Apple Computer Inc.
        Uri Wilensky       Tufts University

Additional Information
 
    ICLS '96 Information                PHONE: (708) 491-3500
    Institute for the Learning Sciences FAX:   (708) 467-2490
    Northwestern University             EMAIL: [email-masked]
    1890 Maple Avenue                   WWW: http://www.ils.nwu.edu/icls96.html
    Evanston, IL 60201

---------
Daniel C. Edelson       Institute for the Learning Sciences and
Assistant Professor       School of Education and Social Policy
[email-masked]                       Northwestern University
Fax: (708) 491-5258                          Evanston, IL 60208