Subject: ICCBR-97 - 2nd Call for Participation
From: [email-masked] (David Leake)
Date: 9 Jun 1997 11:37:21 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.edu,sci.cognitive,comp.cog-eng

Second Call for Participation

				 ICCBR-97
	  Second International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning

			     Brown University
		Providence, Rhode Island, July 25-27, 1997

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
  The regular registration deadline is June 18
  The conference hotel and dormitory room blocks will be held until June 24
      (Note that all hotel-style rooms at Brown are now sold out, but
      dormitory rooms are still available.)

Additional information is available from http://www.iccbr.org/iccbr-97.html.
Questions should be sent to [email-masked].

Contents

- Conference Overview
- Registration Form
- Schedule outline and list of accepted papers
- Travel and Accommodations Information
- Program Committee and Sponsors

	    --------------- Conference Overview ---------------

In 1995, the first International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ICCBR-95)
was held in Sesimbra, Portugal, as the start of a biennial series.  ICCBR-97,
the Second International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, will be held at
Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, on July 25-27, immediately prior
to AAAI-97 and IAAI-97.

The program of ICCBR-97 will include both research and applications.  The
three-day conference will feature invited talks, paper and poster sessions,
and panels presenting both mature work and new ideas, selected from over
100 submissions to the conference.  The conference aims to achieve a
vibrant interchange between researchers and practitioners with different
perspectives on fundamentally related issues, in order to examine and
advance the state of the art in case-based reasoning and related fields.

Topics to be addressed in conference presentations include:

   * Case representation, indexing and retrieval, similarity assessment, case
     adaptation, and analogical reasoning
   * Case-based and instance-based learning, index learning, and integrating
     CBR with other learning methods
   * Case-based reasoning and related approaches for task areas such as
     education, design, and medicine
   * Integration of CBR with other AI methods and comparisons to other
     approaches
   * Methods and systems for decision support, knowledge management, and
     intelligent information retrieval
   * Novel application areas for case-based techniques, deployed applications
     with significant impact, and lessons learned from application
     development 

	      --------------- Registration ------------------

All registrations will be processed by the Indiana University Conference
Bureau.  Registrations may be submitted on the web (using the form at
http://www.indiana.edu/~iuconfs/iccbr), by letter, by fax, or by telephone.
Those who prefer not to send credit card information over the web may 
submit the registration form by web and credit card information by phone.
Contact information for the Conference Bureau is as follows:

   Indiana University Conference Bureau
   Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) 671
   Bloomington, IN 47405, U.S.A.

   Toll-free phone (within U.S. only):  800-933-9330
   International phone +1 (812) 855-4661
   Fax +1 (812) 855-8077
   E-mail [email-masked]

For fax or mail registration, please complete the following form
(print or type all information):

Name:
Company or Institution:
Position:
Address:
City/State/Zip:
Country:

Business Phone:
Home Phone:
Fax:
E-mail Address:

Registration rates: (circle amount of desired registration)
===================

Regular registration (received by June 18):
--------------------

Standard registration (nonstudent)        $350
  Includes proceedings, refreshment breaks, reception, banquet

Standard registration (student)           $190
  Includes proceedings, refreshment breaks, reception, banquet

Economy student registration              $110
  Includes refreshment breaks and reception only

On-site registration (received after June 18 or at the conference).
--------------------

Availability depends on space and is not guaranteed:

Standard registration (nonstudent)        $400
Standard registration (student)           $200
Economy student registration              $125

Additions
---------

Guest Tickets
Reception		#___@ $25	$_________
Banquet			#___@ $40	$_________

(Availability of guest tickets after June 18 depends on space and is
not guaranteed.)

Total due:                              $_________
---------

Method of Payment:
-----------------

Payment in U.S. dollars must be included with this form.  Either send
an international money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to
"ICCBR-97, Indiana University", or provide the following information
for credit card billing:

CIRCLE ONE:   VISA   MasterCard   Discover
Card Account #:
Name as it appears on credit card (please print):
Expiration Date:
Signature

Notes:
------

- To qualify for student rates, attendees must provide a proof of
  student status in hard copy form (e.g., photocopy of valid student
  ID) at the time of registration.  Students who register on the web
  must send their proof of status by airmail or fax to:

  ICCBR-97
  c/o Indiana University Conference Bureau
  Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) 671
  Bloomington, IN 47405, U.S.A.

  The web registration will not be final until proof of status is received.
  However, the date of registration will be considered the date that the
  web form is submitted, provided the proof of status is received
  within two weeks of submission of the web form.

- When submitting registrations, keep in mind the possibility of
  postal delays.  Web-based registration avoids these delays.

- All registrants will receive a confirmation by mail.

- Registration fees are not refundable.  However, your registration
  may be transferred to another person upon request.

- In the event of cancelation, ICCBR is liable only for the registration
  fees paid.

For questions about registration procedures, please contact the
Indiana University conference bureau.

    ----------- Schedule Outline and List of Accepted Papers ----------- 

The conference will begin in the morning of July 25th and end in the
afternoon of July 27th.  Specific times and the schedule of talks will be
distributed electronically and posted to the conference web site when they
become available.  The first day of the conference will focus primarily on
applications, followed by the opening reception and a poster session
featuring both research and applications in the evening of July 25th.  The
following papers and posters will be presented at the conference.

Applications Papers and Posters
===============================

New Technology Bliss and Pain in a Large Customer Service Center
Helen Thomas, Richard Foil, Jim Dacus

Lessons Learned from Deployed CBR Systems and Design Decisions Made in
Building a Commercial CBR Tool
Hideo Shimazu and Yosuke Takashima

Case-Based Reasoning for Information System Design
Dirk Krampe, Markus Lusti

Applying Memory-Based Learning to Indexing of Reference Ships for Case-
Based Conceptual Ship Design
Dongkon Lee, Jaeho Kang, Kwang Ryel Ryu, Kyung-Ho Lee

A Scalable Approach for Question-Based Indexing of Encyclopedic Hyper-texts
Christopher Wisdo

Encouraging Self-Explanation through Case-Based Tutoring, A Case Study
Michael Redmond and Susan Phillips

Case-Based Reasoning in Color Matching
William Cheetham, John Graf

An Engineering Approach for Troubleshooting Case Bases
James R. Trott and Bing Leng

Using Case-Based Reasoning for Reusing Software Knowledge
Carsten Tautz and Klaus-Dieter Althoff

Estimating Software Development Effort with Case-Based Reasoning
G.R.Finnie, G.W.Wittig and J.-M. Desharnais

Applying Case-based Reasoning to Automated Deduction
Marc Fuchs, Matthias Fuchs

ForMAT and Parka: A Technology Integration Experiment and Beyond
David Rager, James Hendler, Alice Mulvehill

From Troubleshooting to Process Design: Closing the Manufacturing Loop
C.J. Price, I.S. Pegler, M.B. Ratcli e, A. McManus

CBR in a Changing Environment
Daeyeon Joh

A Case-Based Approach for Elaboration of Design Requirements
Paulo Gomes and Carlos Bento

Ocram-CBR: A Shell for Case-Based Educational Systems
Marco Papagni, Vincenzo Cirillo, Alessandro Micarelli and Lina Di Vito

Case-Based Reasoning in an Ultrasonic Rail-Inspection System
Jacek Jarmulak, Eugene J.H. Kerckho s, Peter Paul van't Veen

CBR for Document Retrieval - The FAllQ Project
Mario Lenz and Jaroslava Pevgonen

A Large Case-Based Reasoner for Legal Cases
Rosina Weber-Lee, Ricardo Miranda Barcia, Marcio C. da Costa, Ilson W.
Rodrigues Filho, Hugo C. Hoeschl, Tania C. D'Agostini Bueno, Alejandro
Martins, Roberto C. Pacheco

Combining Medical Records with Case-Based Reasoning in a Mixed Paradigm
Design--- TROPIX Architecture and Implementation
A. Sunny Ochi-Okorie

Scientific Papers and Posters
=============================

Representation and Formalization

The Evaluation of a Hierarchical Case Representation using Context Guided
Retrieval
Ian Watson and Srinath Perera

An Explicit Representation of Reasoning Failures
Michael T. Cox

On the Admissibility of Concrete Domains for CBR Based on Description Logics
Gerd Kamp

The Case for Graph-Structured Representations
Kathryn E. Sanders, Brian P. Kettler, and James A. Hendler

Similarity Metrics: A Formal Unification of Cardinal and Non-Cardinal
Similarity Measures
Hugh Osborne and Derek Bridge

Indexing and Retrieval

What You Saw Is What You Want: Using Cases to Seed Information Retrieval
Jody J. Daniels and Edwina L. Rissland

Using Machine Learning for Assigning Indices to Textual Cases
Stefanie Bruninghaus and Kevin D. Ashley

Using Introspective Learning to Improve Retrieval in CBR: A Case Study in
Air Traffic Control
Andrea Bonzano, Padraig Cunningham, and Barry Smyth

Refining Conversational Case Libraries
David W. Aha and Leonard A.Breslow

On the Relation between the Context of a Feature and the Domain Theory in
Case-Based Planning
Hector Munoz-Avila, Frank Weberskirch and Thomas Roth-Berghofer

Perspectives: A declarative Bias Mechanism for Case Retrieval
Josep Lluis Arcos and Ramon Lopez de Mantaras

Theoretical Analysis of Case Retrieval Method Based on Neighborhood of a New
Problem
Seishi Okamoto and Nobuhiro Yugami

How Case-Based Reasoning and Cooperative Query Answering Techniques Support
RICAD
Jirapun Daengdej and Dickson Lukose

Case Adaptation

The Adaptation Knowledge Bottleneck: How to Ease it by learning from Cases
Kathleen Hanney and Mark T. Keane

A Case Study of Case-Based CBR
David B. Leake, Andrew Kinley, and David Wilson

Merge Strategies for Multiple Case Plan Replay
Manuela M. Veloso

Solution-Relevant Abstractions Constrain Retrieval and Adaptation
Erica Melis

Towards Improving Case Adaptability with a Genetic Algorithm
Lisa Purvis, Salil Athalye

Selecting Most Adaptable Diagnostic Solutions through Pivoting-Based
Retrieval
Luigi Portinale, Pietro Torasso, Diego Magro

Learning

Examining Locally Varying Weights for Nearest Neighbor Algorithms
Nicholas Howe and Claire Cardie

A Utility-based Approach to Learning in a Mixed Case-Based and Model-Based
Architecture
Maarten van Someren, Jerzy Surma, and Pietro Torasso

Loose Coupling of Failure Explanation and Repair: Using Learning Goals to
Sequence Learning Methods
Michael T. Cox

Case-Based Planning to Learn
J. William Murdock, Gordon Shippey, and Ashwin Ram

PAC Analyses of a `Similarity Learning' IBL Algorithm
Anthony D. Griffiths, Derek G. Bridge

Using A Case-Base of Surfaces to Speed-Up Reinforcement Learning
Chris Drummond

Integrated Approaches

Using Case Based Reasoning for Argumentation with Multiple Viewpoints
Nikos Karacapilidis, Brigitte Trousse, Dimitris Papadias

Stratified Case-Based Reasoning in Non-Refinable Abstraction Hierarchies
L. Karl Branting

Maintaining Unstructured Case Bases
Kirsti Racine and Qiang Yang

Supporting Combined Human and Machine Planning: An Interface for Planning by
Analogical Reasoning
Michael T. Cox and Manuela M. Veloso

Using Software Process Modeling for Building a Case-Based Reasoning
Methodology: Basic Approach and Case Study
Ralph Bergmann, Wolfgang Wilke, Juergen Schumacher

Qualitative Knowledge to Support Reasoning About Cases
Robert J. Aarts and Juho Rousu

Integrating Rule Induction and Case-based Reasoning to Enhance Problem
Solving
Aijun An, Nick Cercone, and Christine Chan

Creative Reasoning

Creative Design: Reasoning and Understanding
Marin Simina, Janet Kolodner

Experimental Study of a Similarity Metric for Retrieving Pieces from
Structured Plan Cases: its Role in the Originality of Plan Case Solutions
Luis Macedo, Francisco C. Pereira, Carlos Grilo, Amilcar Cardoso

An Analogical Theory of Creativity in Design
Sambasiva R. Bhatta and Ashok K. Goel

CBR and Uncertainty

Probabilistic Indexing for Case-Based Prediction
Boi Faltings

Fuzzy Modelling of Case-Based Reasoning and Decision
Didier Dubois, Francesc Esteva, Pere Garcia, Lluis Godo, Lopez de Mantaras
and Henri Prade

Case Based Reasoning, Fuzzy Systems Modeling and Solution Composition
Ronald R. Yager

A Probabilistic Model for Case-Based Reasoning
Andres F. Rodriguez, Sunil Vadera, L. Enrique Sucar

      -------------- Travel and Accommodations --------------

Travel information is available at http://www.iccbr.org/travel.html.

Two types of housing are available for ICCBR-97 attendees: hotel
accommodations at the Westin Hotel (at a special ICCBR rate), and
air-conditioned single dormitory rooms on the Brown campus (shared
bath).  All housing arrangements must be made directly with the
housing providers; please see the housing information at
http://www.iccbr.org/hotel_info.html for details.  Availability of
space is not guaranteed and unreserved rooms can only be held through
June 24.  After that time rooms may be unavailable or may only be
available at a higher price.

NOTE:  All hotel-style rooms at Brown were also reserved for the
conference, but these are now sold out.

      --------------- Program Committee and Sponsors ---------------

Co-chairs

             David Leake                            Enric Plaza
     Computer Science Department    IIIA - Artificial Intelligence Research
         Indiana University                       Institute (CSIC)
        [email-masked]                     [email-masked]
          Lindley Hall 215              Spanish Scientific Research Council
 Bloomington, Indiana, 47405, U.S.A.  Campus Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
        Fax: +1 812-855-4829             08193 Bellaterra, Catalonia, Spain
       Phone: +1 812-855-9756                   Fax: +34-3-580 96 61
                                               Phone: +34-3-580 95 70

Committee Members

 Agnar Aamodt             University of Trondheim
 David Aha                Naval Research Laboratory
 Klaus Althoff            University of Kaiserslautern
 Kevin Ashley             University of Pittsburgh
 Ray Bareiss              ILS Northwestern University
 Brigitte Bartsch-Spoerl  BSR Consulting
 Carlos Bento             University of Coimbra
 Karl Branting            University of Wyoming
 Ernesto Costa            University of Coimbra
 Michael Cox              Carnegie Mellon University
 Boi Faltings             EPFL Lausanne
 Ashok Goel               Georgia Institute of Technology
 Kristian Hammond         University of Chicago
 James Hendler            University of Maryland
 Thomas Hinrichs          ILS Northwestern University
 Eric Jones               Victoria University of Wellington
 Mark Keane               Trinity College of Dublin
 James King               LEXIS-NEXIS
 Philip Klahr             Inference Corporation
 Janet Kolodner           Georgia Institute of Technology
 Ramon Lopez de Mantaras  IIIA-CSIC
 Robert Macura            Medical College of Georgia
 Michel Manago            AcknoSoft
 William Mark             National Semiconductor Corp.
 Ashwin Ram               Georgia Institute of Technology
 Michael Richter          University of Kaiserslautern
 Christopher Riesbeck     ILS Northwestern University
 Edwina Rissland          University of Massachusetts
 Hideo Shimazu            NEC
 Evangelos Simoudis       IBM Almaden Research Center
 Derek Sleeman            University of Aberdeen
 Ian Smith                EPFL Lausanne
 Gerhard Strube           University of Freiburg
 Katia Sycara             Carnegie Mellon University
 Shusaku Tsumoto          Tokyo Medical and Dental University
 Manuela Veloso           Carnegie Mellon University
 Angi Voss                GMD FIT
 Ian Watson               Salford University
 Stefan Wess              Inference GmbH

Sponsors

ICCBR-97 is supported by the American Association for Artificial
Intelligence (AAAI), the Catalan Association for Artificial
Intelligence (ACIA), the International Joint Conferences on Artificial
Intelligence, Inc. (IJCAII), Inference Corporation, LEXIS-NEXIS, and
the European Network of Excellence in Machine Learning (MLnet).