Subject: ICBR-95
From: Maarten van Someren <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 16:07:20 +0100

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CASE-BASED REASONING 1995 (ICCBR-95)

                         Oct. 23-26, 1995
                       Sesimbra - Portugal

                  C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

We welcome submissions to ICCBR-95, the first international conference
on case-based  reasoning. The  conference follows  and extends the CBR
workshops that have taken place in  the United  States since  1988 and
Europe  since  1993.  ICCBR  is  planned  to  become a biennial event,
encouraging  the  more  specific  workshops to  be  held in  the years
between.  This  year's  conference  will be  held  in  Europe,  in the
beautiful small town of Sesimbra, south of Lisbon.

Case-based  reasoning  is  now an  established  area  of  AI,  with  a
continually growing world-wide  research  community  and a  number  of
fielded applications. ICCBR-95 will be a broad-scoped and high-quality
conference,  where  we  will  sum up the  status  of  the  field in  a
tutorial, discuss recent research results through scientific paper and
poster sessions, and in application sessions focus  on system building
tools  and industrial  and other type of applications. The overall aim
of ICCBR-95  is  to  advance  the  scientific and application-oriented
state  of the CBR field  by bringing  researchers  and system builders
together  for in-depth discussions and general  exchange  of views and
ideas.  As  the  first   international  event  within  the  case-based
reasoning field, ICCBR-95 should lead to a consolidation of our common
platform,  and  to a  strengthening  of the CBR community and field in
general.

The conference will start with an  'application  day' consisting of an
introductory  tutorial  and   a  set  of  presentations  focusing  the
practical uses of CBR technology.  This  is followed by three days  of
scientific paper presentations,  invited talks, panel discussions, and
poster sessions.

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS:

Submissions are invited on all aspects of CBR and analogical reasoning
including (but not restricted to):

      - Indexing and retrieval
      - Case modification
      - Learning
      - Cognitive modelling
      - Knowledge representation
      - Case memory structures
      - Integrated problem solving and learning
      - Integrating CBR and with other methods
      - Case-based reasoning and design
      - Case-based knowledge engineering
      - Evaluation methods
      - Comparisons of CBR systems
      - System architectures
      - Application-related methods for, e.g.,
        Reuse of experience, Corporate memories,
        Information filtering/retrieval, Knowledge management
        Active decision support, Education and tutoring.

Papers will be  carefully  reviewed for relevance to CBR, originality,
significance,   technical   quality,   and  clarity  of  presentation.
Scientific papers  may address theoretical  issues, empirical studies,
or  novel  approaches  related  to  cognitive  models,   computational
methods,   tool-oriented  research,  or   development   methodologies.
Application  papers   may  describe  fielded   or  close-to-be-fielded
systems, system building  experience, or  tool  studies. Papers may be
accepted for  plenary or poster presentation. All accepted papers will
be published in the conference proceedings.

All submissions should be in the form of  a  printed paper, written in
English. Papers  should  be printed on 8.5" x 11" or A4  sized  paper.
They must  be  a  maximum  of  12  pages long,  including figures  and
bibliography.  Each page must have no more  than 43 lines, lines being
at most 140mm (5.5") long and 12 point type.  The papers should have a
separate page,  in addition to  the 12 pages mentioned above, with the
title of the paper, names, postal and email  address of the authors, a
200-word  abstract, and a list of  keywords.  Please  indicate on  the
front page whether your  paper is a scientific paper or an application
paper.

Five copies  of submitted papers should be sent by surface mail before
April 10th to one of the program conference co-chairs:

PROGRAM CONFERENCE CHAIRS

Prof. Agnar Aamodt (program co-chair)
University of Trondheim, Department of Informatics
N-7055 Dragvoll, Norway
email: [email-masked]
phone:  +47-7359-1838, fax: +47-7359-1733

Prof. Manuela Veloso (program co-chair)
Carnegie Mellon University, Department of Computer Science
Pittsburgh PA 15213-3891, USA
email: [email-masked]
phone:  (412) 268-8464, fax: (412) 268-5576

LOCAL ORGANIZATION CHAIR

Carlos Bento
Univ. de Coimbra - Lab. de Informatica e Sistemas
Vila Franca - Pinhal de Marrocos
3030 Coimbra - PORTUGAL
email: [email-masked]
phone:  +351 39 7000030, fax: +351 39 701266

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Deadline                                    April 10th 1995
Notification of Acceptance or Rejection                May   20th 1995
Camera-Ready Copy                                      June  20th 1995

APPLICATIONS AND TOOL DEMOS
We also invite demos of systems and commercial tools during  ICCBR-95.
This will be  organized by  Stefan Wess, University  of Kaiserslautern
and Inference Germany:

Stefan Wess
Inference GmbH
Lise-Meitner-Strasse 3
D-85716 Unterschleissheim, Germany
email: [email-masked]
phone: ++49 89 3218180 fax: ++49 89 32181830

ARRANGEMENT

ICCBR-95  is  organized  by  APPIA,  the  Portuguese  Association  for
Artificial  Intelligence,  in  cooperation  with  the  University   of
Coimbra.  Sesimbra is a small town 35 Km south of Lisbon. It has great
fishing traditions and is famous  for its fish and  seafood. Near from
there  is a  spectacular region  of  natural forest which is  national
patrimony.

Accommodation will be at Hotel do Mar, overlooking the beautiful beach
of Sesimbra. The  bedrooms, with large terraces facing the ocean,  are
equipped with  telephone,  satellite television  and air conditioning.
The Hotel includes a broad set of sport facilities and a play area for
children.

We are determined at  keeping the costs at an acceptable level to also
enable  students and  people from academia to participate on  a  large
scale.  The prices are favorable in Portugal at this time of the year.
There may be student  scholarships available.  The conference will  be
sponsored   by   Acknosoft,   Paris   and  some  other  companies  and
organisations yet to be decided or formally confirmed.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Agnar Aamodt   (co-chair) University of Trondheim
Manuela Veloso (co-chair) Carnegie Mellon University
David Aha                 Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC
Klaus Althoff             University of Kaiserslautern
Kevin Ashley              University of Pittsburgh
Ray Bareiss               ILS, Northwestern University
Brigitte Bartsch-Spoerl   BSR Consulting, Munich
Jeff Berger               University of Chicago
Karl Branting             University of Wyoming
Ernesto Costa             University of Coimbra
Paul Compton              University of New South Wales
Kris Hammond              University of Chicago
James Hendler             University of Maryland
Tom Hinrichs              ILS, Northwestern University
Carl Gustaf Jansson       Stockholm University
Surma Jerzy               University of Economics, Wroclaw PL
Eric Jones                Victoria University of Wellington N.Z
Mark Keane                University of Dublin
James King                AT&T GIS, USA
Janet Kolodner            Georgia Institute of Technology
David Leake               University of Indiana
Michel Manago             Acknosoft, Paris
Enric Plaza               IIIA, Spanish Scientific Research Council
Ashwin Ram                Georgia Institute of Technology
Michael Richter           University of Kaiserslautern
Chris Riesbeck            ILS, Northwestern University
Edwina Rissland           University of Massachusetts
Derek Sleeman             University of Aberdeen
Ian Smith                 EPFL, Lausanne
Gerhard Strube            University of Freiburg
Katia Sycara              Carnegie Mellon University
Henry Tirri               University of Helsinki
Shusaku Tsumoto           Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Angi Voss                 GMD, St. Augustin
Ian Watson                University of Salford

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION FORM

Please return the following information to Carlos Bento
([email-masked]) as soon as possible.

 Full Name:
 Title:
 Organization:
 Address:
 Tel:
 Fax:
 e-mail:

 Check the appropriate boxes below:

 [ ] I intend to submit a scientific paper to ICCBR-95.
 [ ] I intend to submit an application-oriented paper to ICCBR-95.
 [ ] I do not intend to submit a paper, but I would like to
       attend the conference.
 [ ] I do not intend to attend the whole conference, but I would
       like to participate on the first day (tutorial and application day)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------