Subject: HAI97.TXT
From: Michael Kaiser <[email-masked]>
To: "hai97 -- Prof. R. Dillmann" <[email-masked]>, Gillian Hayes <[email-masked]>, Holger Friedrich <[email-masked]>, Jim Crowley <[email-masked]>, Katharina Morik <[email-masked]>, Michael Kaiser <[email-masked]>, Pierre Dillenbourg <[email-masked]>, Stefan Wrobel <[email-masked]>, Attilio Giordana <[email-masked]>, Volker Klingspor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:28:05 +0100 (MET)

**************************************************************************
			   CALL FOR PAPERS

	    MLNET FAMILIARIZATION WORKSHOP AT THE ECML 97
		      IN PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC

        MACHINE LEARNING AND HUMAN-AGENT INTERACTION (HAI 97)
**************************************************************************
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

	   Up-to-date information on HAI 97 is available at
		http://wwwipr.ira.uka.de/events/hai97/

	       ECML-97 information can be obtained from
		  http://is.vse.cz/ecml97/home.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**********
BACKGROUND
**********

The concept of intelligent agents has recently found growing interest both in
theory-oriented research as well as in applications such as robotics,
manufacturing, information retrieval, and human-computer interaction.
Especially, the idea of agents as intelligent systems that act in cooperation
with or on behalf of a human user becomes increasingly important in today's
information-oriented society.  Research issues in this context comprise, among
others:

	o Which services can agents (robots and softbots) really provide?
	o How can humans communicate with artificial agents (and vice versa)?
	o How can artificial agents improve their performance over time?

For Machine Learning, the field of intelligent agents offers a wide area of
both research and applications.  Specifically, the following questions ought
to be answered if intelligent agents are to become useful for everyday users:

	o What and how can artificial agents learn from humans?
	o What and how can artificial agents learn from each other?
	o What and how can artificial agents learn without external guidance
	  or instruction?

Currently, the field lacks the interdisciplinary cooperation of researchers in
Psychology, Machine Learning, Human-Computer Interaction, Human-Robot
Interaction, and Multi-Agent Systems.  For example, adaptive user interfaces,
programming by demonstration, behaviour cloning and skill transfer, and
learning for communication in multi-agent systems are treated as different
areas of research in different communities.  In addition, psychological
aspects of human-agent interaction and communication are often forgotten as
soon as serious technical problems are to be solved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****
SCOPE
*****

By means of this workshop, we intend to promote an interdisciplinary view on
human-agent interaction with a special focus on learning issues.  On the
foundations of research in human-computer interaction, human-robot
interaction, Psychology, and Machine Learning we intend to provide a forum to
discuss research issues, applications, methods and techniques related but not
limited to the following points:

	o The Psychology of Human-Agent Interaction
	o Learning Tasks in Human-Agent Interaction
	o Learning Techniques for support of Human-Agent Interaction
	o Machine Learning from Human-Agent Interaction (e.g., Programming by
	  Demonstration)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

********************
SUBMISSION OF PAPERS
********************

Paper submissions are limited to 5000 words.  The title page must contain the
title of the talk, name(s) and affiliation(s) of the author(s) and a list of
keywords as well as the full address (including E-Mail) of the first author.
A sample paper, a LaTeX style file and an RTF style file are available
via ftp from ftpipr.ira.uka.de. A laser-quality copy of the paper should
be received by the workshop organizers by February 15th, 1997.  Alternatively,
the submission of papers in Postscript format via anonymous ftp to
ftpipr.ira.uka.de is encouraged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***************
IMPORTANT DATES
***************

	o February 15th, 1997: Deadline for paper submission
	o March 8th, 1997: Notification of acceptance
	o Camera ready copy (in postscript): April 1st, 1997
	o April 23rd-26th: ECML-97
	o April 26th: HAI '97

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

************************
HAI'97 PROGRAM COMMITTEE
************************

	o J.  Crowley (France)
	o P.  Dillenbourg (Switzerland)
	o R.  Dillmann (Germany)
	o A.  Giordana (Italy)
	o G.  Hayes (UK)
	o K.  Morik (Germany)
	o S.  Wrobel (Germany)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
WORKSHOP INFORMATION AND SUBMISSION OF PAPERS TO:
-------------------------------------------------

Michael Kaiser
University of Karlsruhe
Institute for Real-Time Computer Systems & Robotics (IPR)
Kaiserstrassße 12
D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phone: +49-721-608-4051
Fax: +49-721-606-740
E-Mail: [email-masked]

OR:

Volker Klingspor
University of Dortmund
Informatik VIII
D-44221 Dortmund, Germany
Phone: +49-231-755-2499
Fax: +49-231-755-5105
E-Mail: [email-masked]