Subject: GECCO Call for Papers
From: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:49:52 +0200

Dear Colleagues:

I invite you to what promises to be a signal event in the development
of the field of genetic and evolutionary computation (GEC), namely the
Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO) to be held
14-17 July, 1999 in Orlando, Florida at the Omni Rosen Hotel.

I have attached a call for papers and participation, and as you can
see, the conference embodies the best of its constituent and
cooperating conferences and workshops.  After adjusting for overlap,
we conservatively expect the attendance at GECCO to make it the
largest single GEC event ever held, but we have made no compromises
with quality or intimacy.  Many of the best names in the field have
signed onto six autonomous program policy committees ("demes").
Hundreds of the field's most recent and best authors have signed up to
review the large number of submissions expected, but as you will read
below, extraordinary steps have been taken to respect the norms of
traditional and emerging areas, both.  A full slate of regular
conference features together with over 21 free tutorials,
bird-of-a-feather workshops, a special graduate student workshop,
late-breaking papers, and guests and invited speakers make this a
special event you will not want to miss.

But a great conference is built first and foremost with great papers.
Therefore, I urge you to mark the date Wednesday, January 27, 1999 on
your calendar.  This is the submission deadline for GECCO, and I hope
you will consider sending us your latest and best results.

Thank you, and I look hope to see you in Orlando.

Sincerely,

Dave Goldberg
Chair, GECCO-99

			       GECCO-99
		  Call for Papers and Participation
	 1999 GENETIC AND EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION CONFERENCE
		http://www-illigal.ge.uiuc.edu/gecco/

			   14-17 July, 1999
		Omni Rosen Hotel, Orlando, Florida USA

			   A Joint Meeting
of the Eighth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA-99)
   and the Fourth Annual Genetic Programming Conference (GP-99) 

The 1999 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-99)
combines the longest running conference in evolutionary computation
(ICGA) and the world's two largest GEC conferences (GP and ICGA) to
create a unique opportunity to bring together the best in research in
the growing field of genetic and evolutionary computation (GEC).

Each paper submitted to the GECCO conference will be peer-reviewed by
one of the six independent program committees specializing in various
aspects of genetic and evolutionary computation.  Each program
committee consists of a chair and policy members who are active
researchers of published books and papers in the field of genetic and
evolutionary computation.  Each program policy committee establishes
its own review criteria and policies and make the final decisions
concerning papers submitted to it. These independent "demes" will help
ensure that the review process respects the diverse traditions and
norms of the various facets of genetic and evolutionary computation at
the same time it guarantees the acceptance of work of the highest
caliber.  In addition, work that runs across the boundaries of two or
more demes is also encouraged.  The editor-in-chief will assign
qualified reviewers for papers that combine the methods of different
demes, or for papers that do not fit nicely in one of these categories
(e.g., papers that pertain to GEC method, philosophy, or pedagogy).

Mark your calendars now for what promises to be the largest,
high-quality GEC event ever held.

GENERAL CHAIR: David E. Goldberg, University of Illinois, [email-masked] 

PROGRAM CHAIRS & POLICY COMMITTEES: 

Evolution Strategies/Evolutionary Programming (ES/EP). A. E. Eiben
(ES/EP Editor & Chair ES/EP Committee), Leiden University,
[email-masked]. Program Policy Committee: Thomas Baeck,
Hans-Georg Beyer, Michael Conrad, Ingo Rechenberg, Guenter Rudolph,
Hans-Michael Voigt.

Genetic Algorithms/Classifier Systems (GA/CS). Robert E. Smith (GA/CS
Editor & Chair GA/CS Committee), University of Alabama (on sabbatical
at the University of West England), [email-masked].  
Program Policy Committee: Bir Bhanu, Bill P. Buckles, Runwei Cheng,
Marco Colombetti, Yuval Davidor, Herbert Dawid, Marco Dorigo, Emanuel
Falkenauer, Mitsuo Gen, Randy L. Haupt, Sue Ellen Haupt, John
H. Holland, Kim F. Man, Dirk C. Mattfeld, Zbigniew Michalewicz,
Melanie Mitchell, K. S. Tang, Michael D. Vose.

Genetic Programming/Evolvable Hardware (GP/EH). Wolfgang Banzhaf
(Proceedings Editor-in-Chief , GP/EH Editor, & Chair GP/EH Committee),
University of Dortmund, [email-masked].
Program Policy Committee: David Andre, Vladan Babovic, Forrest H
Bennett III, Tobias Blickle, Dimitris C. Dracopoulos, Frank
D. Francone, Andreas Geyer-Schulz, Wolfgang A. Halang, Hitoshi Iba,
Christian Jacob, Martin Keane, Robert E. Keller, John R. Koza, Sam
Kwong, W. B. Langdon, Peter Nordin, Thomas S. Ray, Moshe Sipper,
Adrian Thompson.

Artificial Life, Adaptive Behavior, and Agents (AAA). Vasant Honavar
(Editor & Chair AAA Committee) Iowa State University,
[email-masked].  
Program Policy Committee: Christoph Adami, Randall D. Beer, Richard
K. Belew, Stan Franklin, Thomas S. Ray, Sandip Sen, Katia Sycara,
Stewart W. Wilson.

DNA and Molecular Computing (DNA/MC). Max H. Garzon, (Editor & Chair DNA/MC
Committee), University of Memphis, [email-masked]. 
Program Policy Committee: Michael Conrad, Russell Deaton, Masami
Hagiya, Stephen Karl, Giancarlo Mauri, Grzegorz Rozenberg.

Real-World Applications & Software (RWAS). Mark Jakiela, (Chair &
Editor RWAS Committee),Washington University (St. Louis),
[email-masked].  
Program Policy Committee: L. Davis, Terrence Fogarty, Bill Fulkerson,
Vasant Honavar, David Leinweber, Frieder Lohnert, Eric Michielssen,
David Montana, David Noever, David Powell, Nicholas Radcliffe, Peter
Ross, David Schaffer, Steve Smith, Gil Syswerda, Steven A. Ward.

COOPERATING ORGANIZATIONS, CONFERENCES, AND WORKSHOPS

GECCO-99 is a joint meeting of the Eighth International Conference on
Genetic Algorithms (ICGA-99) and the Fourth Annual Genetic Programming
Conference (GP-99) and is held in cooperation with the European
Network of Excellence in Evolutionary Computing (EvoNet), Evolution
Artificielle, the International Conference on Evolvable Systems
(ICES), International Society for Adaptive Behavior, International
Workshop on Ant Colony Optimization (ANTS 98), Parallel Problem
Solving from Nature (PPSN) Steering Committee, and the American
Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).  Cooperation with
other conferences and organizations is welcome (contact [email-masked]).

TUTORIALS (Confirmed to date) 

Rik Belew, Artificial Life, Adaptive Behavior, and Agents 
Forrest H Bennett III, Analog Circuit Design via Genetic Programming 
Lawrence Davis, Real World Applications of GEC 
Kalyanmoy Deb, Messy Genetic Algorithms and Linkage Learning 
Ken DeJong, GEC: Comparing and Contrasting the Different Methodologies
Marco Dorigo, Introduction to Ant Colony Optimization 
Stephanie Forrest, Immune System Modeling and Computation 
Max Garzon & Randy C. Murphy, Introduction to DNA Computing 
Tetsuya Higuchi, Evolvable Hardware 
John R. Koza, Introduction to Genetic Programming 
W. B. Langdon, Genetic Programming Data Structures 
Jean-Arcady Meyer, Introduction to Adaptive Behavior
Peter Nordin, Machine Code Genetic Programming 
I. C. Parmee, Genetic and Evolutionary Computation in Design 
Guenter Rudolph, Theory of Evolution Strategies and Programming 
Hans-Paul Schwefel, Introduction to Evolution Strategies 
Lee Spector, Quantum Computation 
Leigh Tesfatsion & David McFadzean, Agent-Based Computational Economics
Michael Vose, Genetic Algorithm Theory 
Darrell Whitley, Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks 
Stewart Wilson, Classifier Systems

BUSINESS COMMITTEE 

David E. Goldberg,University of Illinois, [email-masked] 
John R. Koza, Stanford University, [email-masked] 

PRE-CONFERENCE GRADUATE STUDENT WORKSHOP 

Graduate students working on GEC dissertations will be given the
opportunity to submit their work for presentation at a workshop on
Tuesday, July 13, 1999.  Contact Una-May O-Reilly ([email-masked]),
MIT AI Lab, Graduate Student Workshop Chair, for information.

BIRD-OF-A-FEATHER WORKSHOPS

Thematic workshops on a variety of topics will be held during the
conference.  Annie Wu ([email-masked]), Naval Research
Laboratory AI Center, will chair the workshops and is seeking
proposals for workshop topics. 

SUBMITTING PAPERS 

The deadline for arrival at the physical address of the AAAI of eight
(8) paper copies of each submitted paper is Wednesday, January 27,
1999. Papers are to be in single-space, 10-point type on 8 1/2" x 11"
paper with 1" margin at the top and 3/4" margin at left, right, and
bottom. A4 paper may be used.  Papers may not be submitted by e-mail
or fax.  

Each paper is to contain all of the following 9 items, contained
entirely within a maximum total of eight (8) pages, IN THIS ORDER: (1)
the paper's category (chosen from one of the following alternatives:
genetic algorithms, genetic programming, evolvable hardware,
classifier systems, evolution strategies, evolutionary programming,
DNA and molecular computing, real-world applications, software,
artificial life, adaptive behavior, agents, education, methodology,
and philosophy), (2) title of paper, (3) author name(s), (4) author
physical address(es), (5) author e-mail address(es), (6) author phone
number(s), (7) a 50-200 word abstract of the paper at the beginning of
the paper, (8) the text of the paper (including all figures, tables,
acknowledgments, and appendices, if any), and (9) bibliography.

Review criteria will include significance of the work, novelty,
clarity, writing quality, and sufficiency of information to permit
replication (if applicable).  The first-named author (or other
corresponding author designated by the authors at the time of
submission) will be notified of acceptance or rejection (on
approximately March 3, 1999).  To avoid future problems and
misunderstandings, it is preferred (but not required) that the format
of submitted papers roughly follow the required format for final
camera-ready papers.  The required style for the final camera-ready
papers will be posted on the GECCO WWW page (and will be substantially
similar to that of the ICGA-97 and GP-98 conferences).  Different
numbers of pages may be allocated to accepted papers based on the
policies of the various separate program committees of the conference.

The deadline for final camera-ready version of accepted papers will be
announced (and will be approximately April 7, 1999). There will be two
volumes for the conference proceedings books.  By submitting a paper,
the author(s) agree that, if their paper is accepted they will submit
a final revised camera-ready version and that at least one author will
attend and present each accepted paper at the conference.  The
material in papers must represent substantially new work that has not
been previously published by conferences, journals, or edited books in
the field of genetic and evolutionary computation. GECCO permits a
paper to be submitted to the GECCO conference that is substantially
similar to a paper being contemporaneously submitted for review to
another conference; however, by submitting a camera-ready final paper
to the GECCO conference, the authors agree that substantially the same
material will not be published by another conference in the field
(however, material may conceivably be later revised and submitted to
an EC journal or material may be submitted to a non-GEC conference,
such as an applications conference).

ORLANDO AND HOTEL INFORMATION 

Orlando is served by a major international airport and features
numerous tourist attractions, including Disney World, EPCOT Center,
Sea World Orlando, Universal Studios, and much more.  For further
information about Orlando or Central Florida click
http://www.cfdc.org/tourism or http://www.goflorida.com/orlando.

The GECCO conference will be held at the Omni Rosen Hotel in Orlando.
Special rates for GECCO attendees are available by contacting the
hotel directly:

Omni Rosen Hotel 
9480 International Drive 
Orlando, FL 32819 
800-204-7234 
407-354-9840 
Fax: 407-351-2659 
WWW: http://www.omnirosen.com/ 

A CO-LOCATED CONFERENCE

AAAI-99 starts Sunday, July 18, 1999 in Orlando at the Omni Rosen
Hotel.  A number of cooperative activities are being planned between
the two conferences.  More information will be available on the GECCO
web site as it becomes available.

ADMINISTRATION

The conference is administered by the conference staff of the American
Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 445 Burgess Drive,
Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA. Phone: 650-328-3123. FAX: 650-321-4457. 
E-MAIL: [email-masked].

OPERATION 

The conference is operated by the International Society for
Genetic Algorithms, Inc., a Massachusetts not-for-profit corporation
and Genetic Programming Conferences Inc., a California not-for-profit
corporation.

SUPPORT

The conference is supported with a major contribution from i2
Technologies, a leader in the use of genetic and evolutionary
computation.  For career opportunities see www.i2.com.  Support has
also been received from First Quadrant, L. P.  (www.firstquadrant.com)
and from Philips Laboratories, Philips North America Corporation
(www.research.philips.com).

IMPORTANT DATES

January 27, 1999	Paper submission
March 3. 1999 		Notification of acceptance (tentative date)
April 7, 1999 		Camera-ready version due (tentative date)
July 13, 1999		Graduate student workshop
July 14-17, 1999	GECCO-99

		   MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR GECCO-99
		http://www-illigal.ge.uiuc.edu/gecco/