Subject: CFP: Sixth European Workshop on Learning Robots
From: [email-masked] (John Demiris)
Date: 28 Jan 1997 02:43:55 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.neural-nets,comp.ai.alife,comp.cog-eng,sci.cognitive,comp.robotics.misc,comp.ai.fuzzy,comp.theory.dynamic-sys,comp.theory.self-org-sys,comp.ai.genetic

[Note that there is a Webpage with additional and up-to-date information
at "http://arti.vub.ac.be/~cyrano/ewlr_home.html"]
 
=======================================================================
            *** First Announcement and Call for Papers ***

                               EWLR-6

              Sixth European Workshop on Learning Robots
                    Brighton, UK, August 1, 1997
=======================================================================

The Sixth European Workshop on Learning Robots (EWLR-6) will be held
in Brighton, UK on Friday August 1, 1997 in association with the Fourth
European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL97). It will be located in
the Hotel Metropole, the same site as ECAL97.

Scope of the Workshop:
=====================
Learning Robots is an area of rapidly growing interest which is
indicated e.g. by the number of special journal issues and conference
sessions on this subject recently. This is not surprising, as this
area is a subject of interest to many different scientific fields such
as Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Artificial Life, and Cognitive
Science.

The main goal of EWLR-6 is to bring together researchers of all
scientific fields working on or interested in Learning Robots. EWLR
envisages to be an interdisciplinary workshop. It will encourage
the presentation of different viewpoints on Learning Robots and
stimulate an exchange of ideas across the different fields. Topics of
interest include (but are not restricted to):

  * Learning and Adaptivity in robot control
  * Reinforcement Learning
  * Evolutionary Learning in robots
  * Architectures for learning
  * Machine Learning techniques applied to robot problems
  * Learning from Interaction with Humans 
  * Learning by Observation, Imitation, and Cooperation
  * Learning in Multi-Robot Systems
  * Industrial applications of Robot Learning
  * Hardware issues in Learning Robots including Evolware
  * Robot-Learning and Cognition
 
EWLR has good foundations to achieve this ambitious goal. The European
Machine Learning and Robotics community has already organised five
successful workshops (Vienna (1993), Torino (1994), Heraklion (1995),
Karlsruhe (1995), Bari (1996)) incorporating researchers from various
other fields over the years.  EWLR-6 is held in association with
ECAL97 giving substantial hope to also attract people from the
Artificial Life community.  The EWLRs focus on - but are not
restricted to - European research.

Submission of Papers:
====================

The goal of the Workshop is to bring together the various fascinating
aspects of Robot Learning. The workshop offers the contributors the
opportunity to present their work to an unique audience, mixed in
respect to background, united in respect to their area of
research. The workshop will be structured in such a way that will
encourage discussion. In addition to papers describing significant
research in Robot Learning, submissions of high-quality survey- and
position-papers are encouraged. We encourage papers that deal with
learning on real robots although other papers will be considered.
 
Submitted papers must be no longer than 10 pages. The title page
should include the paper title, the author's name, physical address,
email address & affiliation. Submissions have to arrive by * May 01,
1997 * in form of four hardcopies at

        EWLR-6
        Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
        Vrije Universiteit Brussel
        Building G 10 room 725
        Pleinlaan 2
        1050 Brussels, Belgium

or (strongly encouraged) by e-mail to 

        [email-masked]

Program Committee:
=================
 Minoru Asada             (Osaka University, Japan)
 Luc Berthouze            (Electrotechnical Laboratory, Japan)
 Hendrik Van Brussel      (Katholieke Univ Leuven, Belgium)
 Thomas Christaller       (GMD FIT, Germany)
 Ruediger Dillmann        (Universitaet Karlsruhe, Germany)
 Marco Dorigo             (Univ Libre de Brussels, Belgium)
 Attilo Giordana          (University of Torino, Italy)
 John Hallam		  (Univ of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)
 Gillian Hayes            (Univ of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)
 Yasuo Kuniyoshi          (ETL, Japan / MIT, USA)
 Ramon Lopez de Mantaras  (IIIA, Barcelona, Spain)
 Rolf Pfeifer             (University Zuerich, Switzerland)
 Fabio Roli               (University of Cagliari, Italy)
 Jun Tani                 (Sony CS Laboratory, Japan)
 Sebastian Thrun          (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
 Walter Van de Velde      (Vrije Univ Brussel, Belgium)

Important Dates:
===============
May 01, 1997    Submission deadline EWLR-6
May 26          Notification of Acceptance
Jul 01          Camera-Ready due
Jul 28-31       ECAL97
Aug 01, 1997    EWLR-6

Workshop Organization:
=====================

Chair					Co-Chair

Andreas Birk				John Demiris

Artificial Intelligence Laboratory 	Dept. of Artificial Intelligence
Vrije Universiteit Brussel		University of Edinburgh
Brussels, Belgium			Edinburgh, Scotland

[email-masked]			[email-masked]

Accommodation:
============
Note that the notification of acceptance for EWLR-6 is five days in
advance of the early registration deadline for ECAL97. So, people who
want to attend both events have the option of just booking an
additional night when registering for ECAL97. The Hotel Metropole will
offer special accommodation rates for this option.

Homepage of the Workshop:
========================
Additional and up-to-date information can be obtained on the Web at
http://arti.vub.ac.be/~cyrano/ewlr_home.html