Subject: EWLR-5: Workshop Announcement & CfP
From: [email-masked] (Volker Klingspor)
Date: 28 Mar 1996 09:59:30 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.ai

EWLR-5 
  MLnet Familiarization Workshop and 5th European Workshop on
  Learning Robots

  Bari, Italy ---  July 2nd, 1996

  Announcement & Call for papers

  Further information: http://www-ai.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/ewlr/ewlr5.html

Scope of the workshop:

Robot learning is one of the currently small but growing fields in
machine learning in Europe. Four European Workshops on Learning Robots
have been held during the last three years, starting with participants
from the Esprit-project BLearn-II and then expanding to scientists from
outside BLearn. The fifth workshop aims to familiarize researcher with
European work on learning robots.

Robotics offers numerous opportunities to learn. Learning is applied
at lower level to learn controller for skill acquisition or to learn
how to control special sensors like vision systems. Higher-level
learning concerns learning to classify the robot's perception,
learning to plan, learning for monitoring and supervision.  In all
cases of learning the representation of the robot's perception and
action, or, in other terms, the organization of the robot's knowledge
and the processes, that deal with this knowledge, determines the
applicability of learning algorithms and the applicability of the
learned knowledge.  Furthermore, for higher level learning, it has
been shown, that the signal-to-symbol-preprocessing step is crucial
for learning. A lot of the work for applying real world robots in real
world domains comes from finding the right algorithm for this
preprocessing step.

The workshop's emphasis is on the application of Machine Learning in
real world Robotic applications, including, but not limited to:

Human-Robot Interaction * Mobile Robot Perception, Navigation, and
Mission Planning * Architectures for Intelligent Robots * 
Knowledge Representation for Robot Learning * Robot Supervision,
Fault Detection and Recovery * Learning and Adaptivity in Robot
Control

Submission of papers:

The goal of familiarization workshops is to make European research
more visible and acknowledged. The workshop is intended to offer an
overview of European research in the area of Learning Robots.
Scientists from European institutions are invited to present their
work to an international audience which, of course, is not restricted
to Europeans.

The size of papers is limited to 8 pages. The title page should
include the paper title, the author's name, physical address, email
address, phone number, affiliation. In cases of multiple authors, all
correspondence will be sent to the first author unless otherwise
requested.  Submissions must be received by the workshop chair by May,
15th.  Alternatively, electronical submission of papers in Postscript
format via email to [email-masked] is
encouraged. The papers will be published in the workshop proceedings,
papers submitted by email will additionally be published
electronically. A style description and a LaTeX style file is
available via anonymous ftp at
ftp-ai.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/EWLR-5/ewlr5.tar.Z

Import Dates:

Submission deadline:        May, 15th, 1996 
Notification of acceptance: June, 1st, 1996 
Camera ready copy:          June, 15th, 1996
Workshop:                   July, 2nd, 1996

Program Committee:

L. Basanez (Spain)
L. Camarinha-Matos (Portugal)
R. Dillmann (Germany) 
A. Giordana (Italy) 
K. Morik (Germany) 
C. Torras (Spain) 
H. Van Brussel (Belgium) 
G. Vernazza (Italy)

Workshop chair:

Volker Klingspor 
Universitaet Dortmund 
Lehrstuhl Informatik VIII 
D-44221 Dortmund, Germany
Phone: + 49 231 755 2499 
Fax:   + 49 231 755 5105 
Email: [email-masked]