Subject: ES98: 18th SGES International Conference - December 14th-16th 19
From: "Max Bramer" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:54:17 +0200

The British Computer Society

SGES: the Specialist Group on Knowledge-Based Systems and Applied
Artificial Intelligence

ES98: Cambridge, England, December 14th-16th 1998

Call for Contributions

[This call and additional information is also available on the
conference web site:
http://www.sis.port.ac.uk/~bramerma/sges/es98/es98.htm]

The 18th SGES International Conference on Knowledge-Based Systems and
Applied Artificial Intelligence is being held in Cambridge between
14th and 16th December 1998.

The objective of the annual SGES conferences is to bring together
researchers and application developers from business, industrial and
academic communities to discuss issues and solutions to problems based
on techniques derived from Artificial Intelligence. 

These conferences are the premier European forum for Applied AI. The
two-day conference (December 15th-16th) will be preceded by a day of
tutorials on AI topics. The whole event will be accompanied by an
exhibition.

The Conference continues to build on the success of previous years,
with a two-track event containing fully refereed technical and
applications papers. 

For the Technical Stream, contributions are invited in the form of
papers of up to 5,000 words presenting original work on
knowledge-based systems or other areas of Artificial Intelligence.
Areas of interest include (but are not restricted to): knowledge-based
systems, knowledge engineering  methodology, constraint satisfaction,
intelligent agents, machine learning, model-based reasoning,
verification and validation of KBS, natural language understanding,
case-based reasoning, neural networks, genetic algorithms, data mining
and knowledge discovery in databases.

For the Application Stream, contributions are invited in the form of
papers of up to 5,000 words presenting case studies of knowledge-based
or other AI systems that address real-world problems such as
diagnosis, monitoring, scheduling and selection. Most importantly, the
papers should highlight the critical elements of success and the
lessons learned. 

Guidance notes for Application Stream authors are given on the
conference web site. 

Papers submitted to both streams will be refereed and those accepted
will again be published in book form as volumes 15 and 6 in the
Group's well-established "Research and Development" and "Applications
and Innovations" series (for the technical and application streams
respectively). A selection of the best papers will also be published
as a Special Issue of the international journal `Knowledge-Based
Systems', to be edited by Professor Max Bramer.

To assist us with our planning of the conference, anyone intending to
submit a paper should provide a short abstract, with title, at the
earliest opportunity to the appropriate stream leader at the address
given below. Authors should indicate the stream to which their papers
are being submitted. Please include your full name and postal address
in any email submissions. 

Formatting instructions for papers will be sent as soon as the title
and abstract are received.

Four copies of the full papers should be submitted by post in paper
form to arrive no later than Friday 19th June 1998. Submissions should
be sent to the following addresses:

Technical Stream

Dr. Roger Miles
Intelligent Computer Systems Centre
Faculty of Computer Studies and Mathematics
University of the West of England
Frenchay
Bristol 
BS16 1QY
England

Application Stream

Dr. Robert Milne
Intelligent Applications Ltd
1 Michaelson Square
Livingston
West Lothian EH54 7DP 
Scotland

Please note that presenters of submitted papers will be asked to cover
their costs of attending the conference by paying at the SGES academic
members' rate.

TUTORIALS & WORKSHOPS
The Conference Committee invites proposals for tutorials or workshops
to be presented on the first day of the conference. Proposals for full
and half day tutorials, from an individual or group of presenters
should be directed in the first instance to Dr. Ian Watson:
 [email-masked]

EXHIBITION
A table top exhibition will run alongside the Conference. There will
be a limited number of spaces available and potential exhibitors are
encouraged to book early, as these will be on a first-come,
first-served basis. (Contact Richard Ellis: [email-masked])

SPONSORSHIP
The Conference Committee is keen to make contact with any
organisations who may wish to sponsor the Conference, in whole or in
part. Sponsorship will ensure the highest visibility for the
benefactor, both through the appearance of the company logo on all
promotional literature and in references to the Conference in all
media exposure prior to and after the event. Potential sponsors should
contact the SGES Treasurer, Dr. Robert Milne:
[email-masked]

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE:
Conference Chairman: Professor Max Bramer, University of Portsmouth
Deputy Conference Chairman: Mr Richard Ellis, Crew Services Ltd

Tutorial Organiser: Dr Ian Watson, University of Salford

Technical Programme Chair: Dr Roger Miles, University of the West of
England, Bristol 
Deputy Technical Programme Chair: Mr Mike Moulton, University of Portsmouth

Applications Programme Chair: Dr. Robert Milne, Intelligent Applications Ltd.
Deputy Applications Programme Chair: Mrs Ann Macintosh, University of Edinburgh

For all administrative queries about the conference contact:

Miss Linsay Turbert (ES98 Administrator)
Intelligent Applications Ltd
1 Michaelson Square
Livingston
West Lothian
EH54 7DP 
Scotland

or email: [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DATES:
Title/Abstract notification:         now
Full paper submission:               19 June 1998
Notification of acceptance:         7 August 1998
Camera ready papers due:         18 September 1998