Subject: Expert Systems 96: Call for Papers (version 2: 23/03/96)
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:13:58 +0100

BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY SPECIALIST GROUP ON EXPERT SYSTEMS
===========================================================

ANNUAL CONFERENCE - EXPERT SYSTEMS '96 (ES96)
=============================================

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

The sixteenth annual Conference of the British Computer Society
Specialist Group on Expert Systems, ES96, is being held at St.
John's College, Cambridge from 16th to 18th December 1996.

The objective of the ES series of conferences is to bring
together researchers and application developers from the
business, industrial and academic communities to discuss issues
and solutions to problems based on techniques derived from
Artificial Intelligence.

The Conference continues to build on the success of previous
years, with a two-track event containing fully refereed technical
and applications papers.

For the Technical Stream, contributions are invited in the form
of papers of up to 5,000 words on knowledge-based systems and
related areas of Artificial Intelligence. Papers representing
original work on theoretical and applied AI relating to:
constraint satisfaction; intelligent agents; knowledge
engineering methods; machine learning; model-based reasoning;
verification and validation of KBS; natural language
understanding; case-based reasoning, knowledge discovery in
databases and other related areas are welcome.

For the Applications Stream, contributions are invited in the
form of papers of up to 5,000 words presenting case studies of
knowledge based systems that address real-world problems such as:
diagnosis, monitoring, scheduling and selection. Most
importantly, the papers should highlight the critical elements of
success and the lessons learned.

Papers submitted to both streams will be refereed and those
accepted will again be published in book form in the "Research
and Development in Expert Systems" and "Applications and
Innovations in  Expert Systems" series (for the technical and
application streams respectively).

To assist us with our planning of the conference, anyone
intending to submit a paper should provide a short abstract, with
title, at the earliest opportunity to the Conference Secretariat.

Authors should indicate the stream to which their papers are
being submitted. Please include your full name and postal address
in any email submissions.

Formatting instructions for papers will be sent as soon as the
title and abstract are received.

Four copies of papers should be submitted to arrive no later than
Friday 21st June 1996.  Submissions should be sent in paper form
by post to the Conference Secretariat.

PLEASE NOTE that presenters of submitted papers will be asked to
cover their costs of attending the conference by paying at the
SGES members' academic rate.

TUTORIALS & WORKSHOPS
=====================
The Conference Committee invites proposals for tutorials or
workshops to be presented on Monday 16th December. Proposals for
full and half day tutorials, from an individual or group of
presenters should be directed in the first instance to the
Conference Secretariat.

EXHIBITION
==========
A table top exhibition will run alongside the Conference. There
will be a limited number of spaces available and potential
exhibitors are encouraged to book early, as these will be on a
first-come, first-served basis.

SPONSORSHIP
===========
The Conference Committee is keen to make contact with any
organisations who may wish to sponsor the Conference, in whole or
in part. Sponsorship of an international conference such as ES96
will ensure the highest visibility for the benefactor, both
through the appearance of the company logo on all promotional
literature and in references to the Conference in all media
exposure prior to and after the event.

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
=====================
Conference Chair:
   Dr Ian Watson, University of Salford, Salford, M5 4WT
   [email-masked]

Deputy Conference Chair:
   Prof Max Bramer, University of Portsmouth, Southsea, PO4 8JF
   [email-masked]

Technical Programme Chair:
   Mr John Nealon, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, OX3 0BP
   [email-masked]

Applications Programme Chair:
   Mrs Ann Macintosh, Artificial Intelligence Applications
   Institute, Edinburgh, EH1 1HN
   [email-masked]

CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT
=======================
Mrs. Kit Stones 
The Conference Team 
17 Spring Road 
Kempston, Bedford MK42 8LS 

   Tel/Fax +44 (0)1234-302490           
   [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DATES
================
Title/Abstract notification:         now
Full paper submission:               21 June 1996
Notification of acceptance:          9 August 1996 
Camera ready papers due:             20 September 1996

World Wide Web address for conference information
=================================================
  http://www.sis.port.ac.uk/sges/es96.html