Subject: 1st Announcement: EMCSR 1998 (14th Europ. Meeting on Cybernetics & Systems Research)
From: "Mag.Gerda Helscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:54:16 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.cog-eng,comp.robotics.misc,comp.theory,comp.theory.self-org-sys,de.sci.informatik.ki

*          *       
                      *                          *
                                                       
                *      FOURTEENTH EUROPEAN MEETING     *
                                   
              *                    ON                    *

                *    CYBERNETICS AND SYSTEMS RESEARCH  *
                                                            
                      *       (EMCSR 1998)       *

                          April 14 - 17, 1998

                          UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA

        organized by the Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
                          in cooperation with
 Dept.of Medical Cybernetics and Artificial Intelligence, Univ.of Vienna
                                  and
             International Federation for Systems Research

                               * * * * *

An electronic version of this CfP (and further information whenever it
becomes available) can be found at 

                  http://www.ai.univie.ac.at/emcsr/

                               * * * * *

Cybernetics - "the study of communication and control in the animal and
the machine" (N.Wiener) - has recently returned to the forefront, not
only in cyberspace and cyberpunk, but, even more important, contributing
to the corroboration of various scientific theories. Additionally, an
ever increasing number of research areas, including social and economic
theories, theoretical biology, ecology, computer science, and robotics
draw on ideas from second order cybernetics. Artificial intelligence,
evolved directly from cybernetics, has not only technological and
economic, but also important social impacts. With a marked trend 
towards interdisciplinary cooperation and global perspectives, this
important role of cybernetics is expected to be further strengthened
over the next years.

Since 1972, the biennial European Meetings on Cybernetics and Systems
Research (EMCSR) have served as a forum for discussion of converging
ideas and new aspects of different scientific disciplines. As on
previous occasions, a number of sessions providing wide coverage of the
rapid developments will be arranged, complemented with daily plenary
meetings, where eminent speakers will present latest research results.

SESSIONS + Chairpersons:

   A    General Systems Methodology
        G.J.Klir, USA

   B    New Developments in Mathematical Systems Theory
        Y.Rav, France, and F.Pichler, Austria

   C    System, the Quantum, and Complexity
        M.Carvallo, Netherlands, and G.Groessing, Austria

   D    Complex Systems Analysis and Design
        H.Praehofer, Austria, and J.W.Rozenblit, USA

   E    Fuzzy Systems, Approximate Reasoning and Knowledge-Based Systems
        C.Carlsson, Finland, K.-P.Adlassnig, Austria, and E.P.Klement,
        Austria

   F    Designing and Systems
        W.Gasparski, Poland, and G.Goldschmidt, Israel 

   G    Social Systems Design, and its Education
        B.Banathy, USA, and M.Jackson, UK

   H    Biocybernetics and Mathematical Biology
        L.M.Ricciardi, Italy

   I    Cybernetics and Systems in Medicine
        Xie Z., China, and G.Porenta, Austria

   J    Cybernetics of Socio-Economic Systems and of Country Development
        P.Ballonoff, USA, and S.A.Umpleby, USA

   K    Systems, Management and Organization
        G.Broekstra, Netherlands, and R.Hough, USA

   L    Communication and Computers
        A M.Tjoa, Austria

   M    Artificial Neural Networks and Adaptive Systems
        H.-M.Gross, Germany, and G.Dorffner, Austria

   N    Embodied Cognition and Artificial Intelligence
        M.Mataric, USA, and E.Prem, Austria

   O    Steps Towards a Science of Consciousness
        A.Sloman, UK, and R.Trappl, Austria

   P    From Agent Theory to Agent Implementation
        J.P.Mueller, UK, and P.Petta, Austria

   Q    Applications of Data Mining
        Y.Kodratoff, France

   R    Theory and Application of Artificial Intelligence
        V.Marik, Czech Republic, and E.Buchberger, Austria

   W    Workshop: Ethical Problems of Information Systems
        W.Gasparski, Poland

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Acceptance of contributions will be 
determined on the basis of Draft Final Papers. Each paper must
explain clearly
- what problem it is trying to address,
- what has been tried before and why it isn't good enough,
- WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WHY IT IS BETTER,
- some proof that your method is sound (or reference to it),
- how it will help others/apply to other problems,
- some results/proof it works.
Draft Final Papers must not exceed 10 single-spaced A4 pages 
(maximum 43 lines, max. line length 160 mm, 12 point), in English.
They have to contain the final text to be submitted, including 
graphs and pictures. However, these need not be of reproducible 
quality.
They must carry the title, author(s) name(s), and affiliation 
(incl. e-mail address, if possible) in this order, and must
include an abstract. 
Please specify the symposium in which you would like to present 
your paper. Each scientist shall submit only   o n e   paper.
Please send   f o u r   hard copies of the Draft Final Paper 
to the Conference Secretariat (NOT to symposia chairpersons!)
Electronic or fax submissions cannot be accepted.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: October 17, 1997. 
Submissions received after the deadline cannot be considered.

NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE/REJECTION: Authors will be notified
about acceptance or rejection no later than December 5, 1997.
Successful authors will be provided by the conference secretariat
at the same time with the instructions for the preparation of the
final paper, which will also be available via ftp and World-Wide
Web.

FINAL PAPERS: The final paper will be limited to a maximum of
6 pages (10-point, double column). Camera-ready copies of the
final paper will be due at the conference secretariat by 
January 30, 1998. Acceptance of the final paper will be based
on compliance with the reviewers' comments.

PRESENTATION: It is understood that each accepted paper is
presented personally at the Meeting by one of its authors.

CONFERENCE FEE:
AS 2900 if received before January 31, 1998
AS 3500 if received later
AS 4200 if paid at the conference desk.
The Conference Fee includes participation in the Fourteenth European 
Meeting, attendance at official receptions, coffee during breaks,
and the volumes of the proceedings available at the Meeting. 
Please send cheque, or transfer the amount free of charges for
beneficiary to the account no. 0026-34400/00 of the Austrian
Society for Cybernetic Studies at Creditanstalt-Bankverein Vienna
(bank routing number: 11000, SWIFT code: CABVATWW). Please state
your name clearly.

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS will be handled by AUSTROPA INTERCONVENTION, 
P.O.Box 30, A-1043 Vienna, phone +43-1-58925-118, fax +43-1-5867127.
Reservation cards will be sent to all those registering for the
conference.

SCHOLARSHIPS: The International Federation for Systems Research
is willing to provide a limited number of scholarships covering 
the registration fee for the conference for colleagues from weak 
currency countries. Applications should be sent to the Conference
Secretariat before October 17, 1997. 

INSURANCE: The conference organizers can accept no liability for
personal injuries, or for loss or damage to property belonging to
conference participants, either during or as a result of the
conference. Please check the validity of your personal insurance.

                                 * * * * *

There are a limited number of proceedings of the last conference
"Cybernetics and Systems '96" (2 vols., 1243 pages), plus some
of former conferences, available.
Please contact the conference secretariat for more details.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAIRMAN of the Meeting: Robert Trappl, President
                         Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies

SECRETARIAT:             I. Ghobrial-Willmann and G. Helscher
                         Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies

                         A-1010 Vienna 1, Schottengasse 3 (Austria)
                         Phone: +43-1-53532810
                         Fax: +43-1-5320652
                         E-mail: [email-masked]

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE:

K.-P. Adlassnig (Austria)       O. Ladanyi (Austria
P. Ballonoff (USA)              V. Marik (Czech Republic)
B. Banathy (USA)                M. Mataric (USA)
G. Broekstra (Netherlands)      J. P. Mueller (UK)
E. Buchberger (Austria)         P. Petta (Austria)
C. Carlsson (Finland)           F. Pichler (Austria)
M. Carvallo (Netherlands)       G. Porenta (Austria)
G. Chroust (Austria)            H. Praehofer (Austria)
G. Dorffner (Austria)           E. Prem (Austria)
W. Gasparski (Poland)           Y. Rav (France)
G. Goldschmidt (Israel)         L. M. Ricciardi (Italy)
G. Groessing (Austria)          J. M. Rozenblit (USA)
H.-M. Gross (Germany)           N. Rozsenich (Austria)
W. Horn (Austria)               A. Sloman (UK)
R. Hough (USA)                  A  M. Tjoa (Austria)
M. Jackson (UK)                 R. Trappl (Austria)
E. P. Klement (Austria)         H. Trost (Austria)
G. J. Klir (USA)                S. A. Umpleby (USA)
Y. Kodratoff (France)           Z. Xie (China)

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

E. Buchberger                   P. Petta
G. Chroust                      F. Pichler
I. Ghobrial-Willmann            R. Trappl
G. Helscher                     H. Trost
W. Horn                         M. Veitl
J. Matiasek                          

              *******************************************
              PAPER SUBMISSION DEADLINE: October 17, 1997
              *******************************************

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMCSR-98  FOURTEENTH EUROPEAN MEETING ON CYBERNETICS AND SYSTEMS
RESEARCH

REGISTRATION:

Electronic registration is possible via

                http://www.ai.univie.ac.at/emcsr/

or by sending an e-mail to 

                [email-masked]

containing the following data:

   o    I plan to attend the Meeting and to submit a paper
        to Session .....

   o    I plan to attend the Meeting, but I will not submit a paper.

   o    I will not be at the Meeting but am interested to receive
        information about the Proceedings.

   NAME:

   ADDRESS:

   E-MAIL: