Subject: EKAW-97 Second Call for Papers
From: Enric Plaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:35:13 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.ai

_____________________________________________________________________
            EKAW-97 Second Call for Papers
_____________________________________________________________________

			           EKAW-97
		      http://www.acia.org/ekaw/

		 10th European Workshop on Knowledge
		Acquisition, Modeling, and Management

	   Sant Feliu de Guixols, Catalonia, Spain
		       October 15 - 18, 1997

The EKAW, together with the Banff KAW and the PKAW, has expanded the
workshop scope and has become the European Workshop on Knowledge
Acquisition, Modeling, and Management. The EKAW acronym and series
number (currently the tenth) are maintained.  The European Workshop on
Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling, and Management will celebrate its
tenth edition in 1997 and will take place in the Costa Brava town of
Sant Feliu de Guixols, Catalonia, Spain, from October 15 to 18
(inclusive), 1997.
_____________________________________________________________________

                      Call for Papers

The EKAW is concerned with all aspects of eliciting, acquiring,
modeling and managing knowledge, and with their role in the
construction of knowledge-intensive systems. Submissions are invited
on relevant topics, including but not restricted to:

 o Languages and frameworks for knowledge acquisition, modeling, and
   management
 o Tools and techniques for knowledge acquisition, modeling, and
   management
 o Acquiring knowledge through machine learning, data-mining and
knowledge
   discovery in databases.
 o Knowledge acquisition and management for enterprise modeling and
   corporate memories.
 o Methods and techniques for reuse of knowledge and knowledge models,
in
   particular related to the construction, maintenance and use of
   supporting libraries
 o Knowledge acquisition, modeling, and management over the Internet.
 o Agent-oriented approaches to knowledge acquisition, modeling, and
   management.
 o Evaluations of knowledge acquisition, modeling, and management
   techniques, tools and methods.

Workshop attendance will be limited to 40 participants, one author for
each paper accepted. The workshop will last 3.5 days and will consist
of plenary sessions, invited talks, and working groups on selected
issues. Authors are invited to formulate an issue that would be useful
to discuss. Software demonstrations related to presented papers are
also encouraged. Accepted papers will be published in Springer's
Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence.

Important dates

 Submission deadline:                           15 April 1997
 Notification of acceptance:                    15 June 1997
 Camera ready copy and author registration due: 15 July 1997
 Workshop:                                      15-18 October 1997

_____________________________________________________________________

                        Invited Speakers of EKAW 97

EKAW'97 will feature three invited speakers on different topics. At
this moment, the following speakers have confirmed their
participation:

 * Tom Gruber, Intraspect Software (formerly at KSL, Stanford
University)

_____________________________________________________________________

                     Working groups planned for EKAW 97

During EKAW'97, several working groups will be organized where
specific topics, issues, etc. will be discussed. At this moment, the
following working groups are planned:

 * The status of the ongoing Sisyphus III project

_____________________________________________________________________

Submission Procedure

Authors should submit both a full paper and an "electronic title
page". Full papers may be submitted in either of two ways:

 * Electronically, as a UNIX-printable postscript file, plus one hard
   copy. This is the preferred mode of submission.
 * As hard copy only, sending five copies.

Authors submitting electronically should check whether the generated
postscript file prints well on a Unix platform, before sending it.
Electronic submissions are due not later than April 15. Authors should
also send a single hard copy of the electronic submission as soon as
possible after the electronic submission. Full instructions for
electronic submissions are given below and also are available at
http://www.acia.org/ekaw/electronic.html.

Authors submitting only hard copies should send all five copies to the
submission address to arrive on or before April 15. Double-sided
copies are strongly encouraged.

In addition, authors should submit by email an electronic 
title pages by April 15. Full instructions for electronic title pages
are given below and also are available at
http://www.acia.org/ekaw/electronic.html.

Submission Address

EKAW-97
IIIA - Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (CSIC)
Campus UAB
08193 Bellaterra, Catalonia
Spain

Submission Format

The first page of submitted papers should include: title, author
names, affiliations, postal addresses, electronic mail addresses,
telephone and fax numbers for all authors, and a brief abstract. All
correspondence will be sent to the author designed as contact person
in the electronic title page.

Submissions should not exceed 6000 words and should be printed on 8.5"
x 11" or A4 paper with at least 1 inch margins on all sides. Notice
that, since the proceedings will be published as LNAI, authors using
LaTeX may already use the Springer style files. You can find
information on Springer's format and the needed files at:
http://www.acia.org/ekaw/springer.html.

_____________________________________________________________________

                       Electronic submission of papers

Papers should be transmitted in compressed postscript format by
anonymous FTP to "ftp.iiia.csic.es" in the directory "ekaw". The name of
the transmitted file should be included in the electronic title
page. Papers should be transmitted not later than April 15, 1997.

Before transmitting, please consider the following:

 * We strongly advice to transmit compressed postscript files (either
   using gzip (.gz) or compress (.Z). Plain postscript files tend to be
   large which makes transmission more vulnerable to errors.
 * The name of the submitted file should start with the family name of
the
   first author and end with the compression MIME, e.g.,
   "cruijff97a.ps.gz" or "cruijff97a.ps.Z".
 * If, for some reason, you want to transmit your paper again (e.g., due
   to a transmission error or a revised version), use a different name,
   e.g., "cruijff97b.ps.gz".
 * Note that anonymous FTP has only "put/send" permission. That is, you
   will not be able to view the directory content with "ls", nor remove
   your submission.

_____________________________________________________________________

                    Electronic submission of title pages

The electronic version of the title page must be sent by April 15,
1997, but only after being sure that the compressed postscript file
has been transmitted successfully (otherwise, you do not know the name
of the transmitted file).

We strongly encourage to send the title page using a special WWW form
at http://www.iiia.csic.es/cgi-bin/ekaw97-tp. Alternatively, the title
page can be emailed in plain ASCII to [email-masked] completing
the following fields (surname, first name address, etc. only for
contact person):

Authors:
Surname:
First Name:
Address:
Z.C.:
City:
Country:
Fax:
E-mail:
Title:
Abstract:
Keywords:
File: (only if submission is electronic)

If you have any trouble with electronic submissions, please contact us
at "[email-masked]".

_____________________________________________________________________

Program Committee

Co-chairs

        Enric Plaza               Richard Benjamins
    [email-masked]          [email-masked]

                   [email-masked]
 IIIA - Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (CSIC)
                        Campus UAB
            08193 Bellaterra, Catalonia, Spain
                   Fax: +34-3-580 96 61
                  Phone: +34-3-580 95 70
              URL: http://www.acia.org/ekaw/

Program Committee Members of EKAW'97

 + Stuart AITKEN, University of Glasgow (UK)
 + Hans AKKERMANS, University of Twente (NL)
 + Nathalie AUSSENAC, IRIT- CNRS, Toulouse (F)
 + Guy BOY, EURISCO, Toulouse (F)
 + Joost BREUKER, University of Amsterdam (NL)
 + James CUPIT, University of Nottingham (UK)
 + Dieter FENSEL, University of Karlsruhe (G)
 + Brian GAINES, University of Calgary, Calgary (CA)
 + Jean-Gabriel GANASCIA, LAFORIA-University Paris VI (F)
 + Frank van HARMELEN, Free University Amsterdam (NL)
 + Gertjan van HEIJST, CIBIT (NL)
 + Robert de HOOG, University of Amsterdam (NL)
 + Yves KODRATOFF, LRI - University Paris Sud, Orsay (F)
 + Eelco KRUIZINGA, CIBIT (NL)
 + Marc LINSTER, Digital Equipment Corp. (USA)
 + Katharina MORIK, University of Dortmund (G)
 + Enrico MOTTA, Open University (UK)
 + Mark MUSEN, Stanford University (USA)
 + Kieron O'HARA, University of Nottingham (UK)
 + Nigel SHADBOLT, University of Nottingham (UK)
 + Franz SCHMALHOFER, DFKI, Kaiserslautern (G)
 + Guus SCHREIBER, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam (NL)
 + Yuval SHAHAR, Stanford University (USA)
 + Mildred SHAW, University of Calgary, Calgary (CA)
 + Derek SLEEMAN, University of Aberdeen (UK)
 + Maarten van SOMEREN, University of Amsterdam (NL)
 + Rob van der SPEK, CIBIT (NL)
 + Rudi STUDER, University of Karlsruhe (G)
 + Walter VAN DE VELDE, Free University of Brussels (B)
 + Andre VALENTE, University of Southern California (USA)
 + Hans VOSS, GMD, Sankt Augustin (G)
 + Bob WIELINGA, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam (NL)

             --------------------------------------------------

Sponsors

EKAW-97 is sponsored by the Catalan Association for Artificial
Intelligence (ACIA), and the European Network of Excellence in Machine
Learning (MLnet).

Sant Feliu de Guixols Tourist Information

http://www2.scsinet.es:80/peixblau/