Subject: ECML'97 - 1st announcement
From: [email-masked] (Claire Nedellec)
Date: 9 Jul 1997 11:53:44 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.ai

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      First announcement

     TENTH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON MACHINE LEARNING (ECML-98)
 
              Chemnitz, Germany, April 21-24 1998

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL INFORMATION:

  The 10th  European Conference on  Machine  Learning (ECML-98)  will be
  held in  Chemnitz (ex- Karl Marx Stadt,   near Dresden), Germany, from
  April, 21st to 24th 1998.

  Submissions are  invited that describe empirical, theoretical research
  in  all areas of machine learning.   In  addition, papers from related
  disciplines (for instance, information retrieval, pattern recognition,
  cognitive  modeling,    evolutionary computation,  artificial   neural
  networks, grammatical  inference, reinforcement  learning, etc.)  that
  deal      with adaptive   intelligence, (semi-)automated     knowledge
  acquisition, or (semi-)automated knowledge organization are welcome.

  Submissions that describe the application  of machine learning methods
  to real-world problems  are encouraged (for instance, natural language
  processing, robotics, data  mining, etc.), but such submissions should
  speak  of  general issues  of  machine learning,  perhaps illustrating
  novel  learning methods  or demonstrating  the utility of  established
  methods in previously unexplored settings.

PROGRAM CHAIRPERSONS

  Claire Nedellec and Celine Rouveirol (University of Paris-Sud, France)

LOCAL CHAIR: 

  Andreas Ittner (Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

  A. Aamodt (Norway)            N. Lavrac (Slovenia)
  D. Aha (USA)                  R. Lopez de Mantaras (Spain)
  F. Bergadano (Italy)          S. Matwin (Canada)
  I. Bratko (Slovenia)          K. Morik (Germany)
  P. Brazdil (Portugal)         G. Nakhaeizadeh (Germany)
  W. Daelemans (Netherlands)    D. Page (UK)
  L. De Raedt (Belgium)         L. Saitta (Italy)
  M. Dorigo (Italy)             D. Sleeman (UK)
  F. Esposito (Italy)           M. Van Someren (Netherlands)
  T. Fogarty (UK)               P. Vitanyi (Netherlands)
  J. Fuernkranz (Austria)       S. Wrobel (Germany)
  Y. Kodratoff (France)         G. Widmer (Austria)  

IMPORTANT DATES:

  Submission deadline:          31 October 1997
  Conference:                   21-24 April 1998

IMPORTANT ADDRESS

Submitted papers should be sent to :

  Claire Nedellec and Celine Rouveirol
  LRI, Bat 490                             e-mail: cn/[email-masked]
  Universite Paris-Sud                     Tel: +33 (0)1 69 15 66 26
  F-91405 Orsay                            Fax: +33 (0)1 69 15 65 86
  FRANCE

-------------------------------------------------------------------