Subject: CFP: ECAI-98 WORKSHOP ON MACHINE DISCOVERY
From: Vincent Corruble <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:45:48 +0100

->APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE POSTING<-

-----------------------------------------------------------
          ECAI-98 WORKSHOP ON MACHINE DISCOVERY
                    Call for papers

                    August 24, 1998
                     Brighton, U.K
-----------------------------------------------------------

Note: This Call For Papers is also available at the following URL:          =
 http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~vcorrubl/disco98/cfp.html

Scientific discovery is a human and social process that has attracted
attention from a growing portion of the AI community, as well as from
neighbouring disciplines such as philosophy and psychology. It is a
privileged area for the study of creativity, itself a fundamental
subject for Artificial Intelligence research. Though the field originated
in the US, European research on machine discovery has known significant
developments since the early 90's. The latest meeting dedicated to=
 scientific
discovery, held as a AAAI Spring Symposium at Stanford University in 1995,
was successful, in large part because it brought together researchers from
various disciplines, within and outside AI, with a shared interest. A new
workshop organised in the same spirit will be held at the 1998 European
Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Brighton, U.K.

Contributions are invited in the following areas:
=B7 New systems and tools to automate or aid scientific discovery
=B7 New computational models of scientific activity
=B7 Reports on new scientific findings resulting from the use of=
 computational
tools performing non-trivial, high-end tasks
=B7 Lessons learned from earlier science (recent or not so recent) through
computational simulations and case studies
Throughout the workshop, demonstrations of working systems will be=
 encouraged
when appropriate.

Computational research on scientific discovery shares interests with other
emerging fields such as Data Mining and Intelligent Data Analysis, and seeks
interaction with domain scientists from various fields such as physics,=20
chemistry, biology, or medicine. With this in mind, the Machine Discovery
workshop will be held in co-ordination with another ECAI workshop: IDAMAP'98
(Intelligent Data Analysis in Medicine And Pharmacology). ECAI'98 attendees
are encouraged to participate in both workshops. In particular, at least one
session will be held in common to address issues of shared interest.

Format of submissions:
We welcome submissions of both extended abstracts and full papers, but=
 extended
abstracts (4 pages max.) are encouraged (some authors will be invited to=
 send
full versions of their papers at a later date).
E-mail submissions are encouraged, in the following formats: Postscript, MS=
 Word.
Please use this address: [email-masked]
For postal submissions, please send 3 copies to the following address:
     Vincent Corruble and Derek Sleeman (Discovery 98)
     University of Aberdeen
     Department of Computing Science
     King's College
     Aberdeen AB24 3UE
     Scotland, U.K.

Submissions need to be received by April 7, 1998 to be guaranteed proper=
 review.
Authors will be notified of acceptance by May 7, 1998, by e-mail when=
 possible.

Organisation committee
Derek Sleeman and Vincent Corruble (co-chairs), University of Aberdeen, UK=
=20
Raul Valdes-Perez, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Jean-Gabriel Ganascia, Universit=E9 Pierre et Marie Curie, France
Jan Zytkow, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA=20

Contact for enquiries
Derek Sleeman or Vincent Corruble. E-mail address: [email-masked]
Workshop WWW page: http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~vcorrubl/disco98/disco98.html
ECAI official WWW page for workshop W9 : =
 http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ecai98/tw/W9.html
ECAI-98 main WWW page:  http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ecai98/
ECAI official WWW page for IDAMAP'98:=
 http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ecai98/tw/W21.html

Important dates

Date (deadline)	Relevance
7 April 1998	Deadline for paper/abstract submission
7 May 1998	Notification of acceptance of submissions
1 Jun 1998	Deadline for revised versions of accepted submissions
24 Aug 1998	Workshop held in Brighton, UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Vincent Corruble            Research Fellow
University of Aberdeen          email: [email-masked]
Department of Computing Science Phone: +44 (1224) 272284
King's College                  Fax  : +44 (1224) 273422
ABERDEEN  AB24 3UE              www  :
Scotland, U.K.                  http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~vcorrubl/
--------------------------------------------------------------------