Subject: CFP: CIA-99 Cooperative Information Agents
From: Matthias Klusch <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:11:11 +0100

Please take our apologizes if you receive that message more than once.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

******************************************

         Third International Workshop CIA-99 on

       COOPERATIVE INFORMATION AGENTS

                   July 31 - August 2, 1999

                Uppsala/Stockholm (Sweden)
******************************************

                     CIA-99 Homepage:
http://www.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~klusch/cia99.html

The CIA-99 workshop is co-sponsored by the

- Deutsche Telekom AG, Germany.
- Daimler-Benz AG, Germany.
- George Mason University, USA.
- Active On-line Systems Ltd., UK.

and supported by the
  Special Interest Group on
  Distributed Artificial Intelligence
  of the German Computer Society (GI).

CIA-99 Topics & Deadlines
=========================

Modern information environments mainly consist of large, distributed
and heterogenous resources which are connected in the Internet or
corporate Intranets. These environments are open and can
dynamically change over time. To cope with such information environments
means, in particular, to deal with uncertain, incomplete and vague information.
In general, the effective handling of uncertainty is critical in
designing, understanding, and evaluating autonomous, computational systems
tasked with making intelligent decisions. It is also crucial to the
ultimate success and broad application of intelligent information agents
on the Internet as well as in any industrial context.
Moreover, any advanced human-agent interaction in such environments, e.g.,
via synthetic characters, believable avatars or 3-D multimedia-based
representation of the so-called virtual information space available
for individual users in the Internet, remains to be a challenging
research topic. In addition, up to now there are not many systems
of (collaborating) mobile information agents available.

The CIA-99 workshop mainly focus on the following three
special themes:

(1) Information agents in UNCERTAIN information environments.

(2) Systems and applications of MOBILE information agents.

(3) Advanced Human-Agent INTERACTION, in particular
    maintenance and visualization of dynamically changing
    VIRTUAL INFORMATION SPACES.

We encourage especially submission of papers that report on
research and development within these themes.

Besides that, like in previous CIA workshops, all topics in the
research area of intelligent and collaborating information agents
are covered by the CIA-99 workshop.

TOPICS
^^^^^^^

o  Advanced Database and Knowledge-Base Technology

Application of Techniques for Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in
open, distributed and dynamically changing environments.
Management of uncertain and incomplete knowledge for information
gathering in the Internet or large corporate Intranets.

o  Human-Agent Interaction

Synthetic Agents, believable avatars, and 3-D multimedia-based
representation of individual user information spaces in the Internet.
Advanced interfaces for conversations and dialogues among information
agents and users.

o  Adaptive Information Agents

Performance and measurement of adaptation of single agent or
multiagent systems in uncertain information environments.
Computation and Action under uncertainty and limited resources.
Methods for automated uncertain reasoning for collaborating
information agents.

o  Mobility and Issues of Security in the Internet

Architectures, environments and languages for mobile and secure
information agents and servers.
Collaborative information agents on wearable computers, hand-held
and/or satellite-based control devices.

o  Rational Information Agents and Electronic Commerce

Agent-based marketplaces in the Internet.
Electronic Commerce with incomplete and uncertain information.
Economic models of cooperative problem solving among rational
information agents in open information environments.
Standards for privacy of communication, security, and
jurisdiction for agent-mediated commerce.

o  Systems and Applications

Implemented systems and applications of multiple collaborating
information agents on the Internet.

IMPORTANT DATES
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Deadline for Paper Submission:                March  5, 1999

Notification of Acceptance/Rejection:      April 18, 1999

Deadline for camera-ready version:          May   10, 1999

CIA-99  Invited Speakers
====================

The CIA-99 features invited talks from leading experts in
intelligent information agent technology:

*   Agent Technology from a NASA Perspective
     Walt Truszkowski   (NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, USA)

*   Adaptive User Interfaces for Information Agents
     Pat Langley   (Daimler-Benz R&T at Palo Alto, USA)

*   Agent-Based Community Ware
     Toru Ishida   (University of Kyoto, Japan)

*   Agents and Automated Commerce on the Internet
      Michael Wellman   (University of Michigan, USA)

*   Autonomous Search in Uncertain Environments
      Erol Gelenbe   (Duke University, USA)

*   Information Brokering in Digital Media
     Amit Sheth   (Georgia University, USA)

*   Cooperative Information Systems: Making Databases Behave like Information Agents
     Mike P. Papazoglou   (Tilburg University, The Netherlands)

*   Agent-Based Optimal Constraint Management in Distributed Information Environments
     Alexander Brodsky & Samuel Varas   (George Mason University, USA)

CIA-99  Location
=============

The workshop will be held in the city of Uppsala in Sweden.
Uppsala is located 70 km north from Stockholm with the international
airport in between.
For information on Uppsala see, e.g., http://www.uppsala.se/english/index.htm
Please check the CIA-99 homepage frequently for recent info on
the workshop site in Uppsala.

It is intended to offer a shuttle service to the airport and Stockholm at the
last day of the CIA-99 workshop for your convenience,
and to enable you to attend the IJCAI-99 Conference at Stockholm
conference center in time.

CIA-99  Paper Submission
====================

The length of submitted paper must be no more than 12 pages including
all figures, tables, and bibliography. All papers must be written in
English. Submissions will be reviewed for quality, correctness,
originality and relevance. Papers accepted or under review by other
conferences, workshops or journals are not acceptable.
Papers not conforming to the above requirements may be rejected
without review.

Each submission includes the full paper (title, authors, abstract,
text), and in addition a separate title page with the title, a 300-400
word abstract, a list of keywords, authors (names, addresses,
email addresses, telephone and fax numbers).

For publication in the Springer LNCS series, please prepare a
camera-ready version of your contribution together with the
corresponding Springer style files ''llncs'' (for LaTeX) to be obtained
by ftp trick.ntp.springer.de (/pub/tex/latex/llncs).

For those not using the Springer LNCS style files:
The paper must be formatted using 10 point Times.
(If Times is not available, please use one of the similar
typefaces widely used in phototypesetting.)
Printing area should be 12.2 x 19.3 cm, and the
interline distance should be arranged in such a way that some
42 to 45 lines occur on a full-text page.

You can submit your contribution by
**  MAIL  or  ELECTRONIC MAIL  **.
It is strongly recommended to submit your paper by electronic mail!
If receipt of your submission is not confirmed within one week,
you are kindly asked to resend it.

Submission:

 - by MAIL to
   ++++++++++

   Onn Shehory
   Carnegie Mellon University
   Robotics Institute
   5000 Forbes Av.
   Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890, USA
   Fax: +1-412-2685569  Phone: +1-412-268-3740

Please send three single-sided hard-copies of your paper.

XOR

- by EMAIL to   [email-masked]

Please send the postscript file of your contribution, and
check if this file is printable on any ordinary postscript printer!
In case of a long file, please use compression (zip, gzip, or compress)
before sending it by email, and give information on the type
of used compression.

CIA-99 Proceedings
===============

The proceedings will be published as a volume in the series Lecture
Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI) from Springer Publisher.
The proceedings of the CIA-97, CIA-98 workshops appeared as
LNAI Vol. 1202 and Vol. 1435, respectively.

CIA-99 Organization
================

General Chair:

  Matthias Klusch (Technical University of Chemnitz, Germany)

Co-Chairs:

  Onn Shehory     (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
  Gerhard Weiss   (Technical University of Munich, Germany)

CIA-99 Program Committee
========================

Sonia Bergamaschi              (University of Modena, Italy)
Wolfgang Benn                   (Technical University of Chemnitz, Germany)
Hans-Dieter Burkhard        (Humbold University Berlin, Germany)
Brahim Chaib-draa              (Laval University, Canada)
Yves Demazeau                   (Leibniz/IMAG/CNRS, France)
Frank Dignum                      (University of Eindhoven, Netherlands)
Innes Ferguson                   (Active Online Systems London, UK)
Klaus Fischer                      (DFKI German Research Lab on AI, Germany)
Christian Freksa                  (University of Hamburg, Germany)
Erol Gelenbe                        (Duke University, USA)
Carl Hewitt                          (MIT AI Lab, USA)
Mike Huhns                        (University of South Carolina, USA)
Toru Ishida                         (University of Kyoto, Japan)
Leonid A. Kalinichenko    (Russian Academia of Sciences, Russia)
Bart Kosko                          (University of Southern California, USA)
Sarit Kraus                          (University of Maryland, USA)
H.-J. Mueller                       (Deutsche Telekom AG, R&D Darmstadt, Germany)
Joerg P. Mueller                 (John Wiley & Sons Corp. London, UK)
San Murugesan                 (University of Western Sydney, Australia)
Pablo Noriega                    (Institute for AI Research, Spain)
Moira C. Norrie                  (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
Aris Ouksel                        (University of Illinois at Chicago, USA)
Mike P. Papazoglou          (Tilburg University, Netherlands)
Amit Sheth                         (University of Georgia, USA)
Carles Sierra                       (CSIC AI Research Lab, Catalonia, Spain)
Elizabeth Sonenberg        (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Kurt Sundermeyer            (Daimler-Benz AG, R&T Berlin, Germany)
Katia Sycara                      (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
Peter Thomas                    (UWE Bristol, UK)
Robert Tolksdorf              (Technical University of Berlin, Germany)
Jan Treur                            (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Mike Wooldridge              (QMW College London, UK)

************************************
For more informations please contact

Matthias Klusch
 Carnegie Mellon University
 Robotics Institute
 5000 Forbes Ave.
 Pittsburgh PA-15213-3890, USA.
 Phone: +1-412-2685287, Fax: +1-412-2685569
 Email: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------