Subject: Workshop on Applied Learning Theory (Call for paper)
From: Steffen Lange <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:16:22 +0200 (MET DST)

==========================================================================
==========================================================================

	Call for Papers	
	Workshop on Applied Learning Theory        
	Kaiserslautern, Germany
        October 07, 1998

==========================================================================
Objectives

The One-day-workshop on Applied Learning Theory will be organized as a 
satellite-workshop of the 9th International Conference on Algorithmic 
Learning Theory (ALT'98) which will be held at the European Academy,
Otzenhausen, Germany, during October 8-10, 1998.  It is supported 
by the University of Kaiserslautern, Dept. of Computer Science.
\par
Algorithmic Learning Theory emerged roughly 30 years ago but real 
applications of it are still rare. This workshop aims to stimulate 
fruitful discussions between people working on real applications and in 
theory. Ideally, people in theory should benefit by learning about 
challenging research problems which arose in practice, and people in 
application may benefit by getting answers to their problems from 
theoreticians. We therefore kindly invite:

  1.) 	people who are studying applications of algorithmic learning 
	theory to a real domain,
  2.)   people who are using empirical learning techniques and who  	
	are interested in a formal analysis of their techniques,
  3.)	people who have problems which might be solved using machine  
	learning techniques.

========================================================================== 
Workshop program

We invite submissions dealing with (but not limited to) the following
topics:

  1.) 	application of algorithmic learning techniques to the Genome 
	Project, to knowledge discovery in the internet, to motion 
	control learning, to learning from multimedia data bases, to  
	financial engineering, to learning winning strategies in games,
  2.)	empirical learning techniques which have great success in real 
    	applications but need some formal analysis}, and 
  3.)	new problem descriptions which are promising to lead to new 
	applications of learning techniques.

The workshop program includes one invited lecture on ``Learning of 
human feelings by inductive logic programming'' delivered by 
Masayuki Numao (Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan).

Accepted papers will be distributed via the workshop homepage before  
the workshop for stimulating the discussion. The workshop proceedings
will be available at the workshop. Presentations will take 25 minutes 
(including 5-10 minutes discussion).

=========================================================================
Submission guidelines

Submitted papers~should consist of a cover page with title, authors' 
names, postal and e-mail addresses, an approximately 200 word summary,  
and a body not longer than 10 pages of size A4 or 7 x 10.5 inches  
in twelve-point font.

For facilitating the intended discussion, please clearly indicate
to which of the above mentioned categories your paper belongs,
and be as specific as possible in describing the contribution your
paper is going to make. 

Each submitted paper will be reviewed by the program
committee on its relevance for the workshop.

=========================================================================
Submission schedule

Authors may either e-mail postscript files of their papers to:
	
	[email-masked]

or submit six copies of their papers

	Dr. Steffen Lange
	University of Leipzig
	Institute for Computer Science
	Augustus-Platz 10-11
	04109 Leipzig, Germany

Papers must be received by August 20, 1998. Electronic paper submissions 
are prefered. If you submit hardcopies, double-sided printing is
encouraged.

Notification of acceptance or rejection of submitted papers will be 
(e)mailed  to the first (or designated) author by September 4, 1998.

The camera-ready copy of the final version of accepted papers will be 
due  September 21, 1998.
=========================================================================
Program Committee

	G. Brewka (Univ. Leipzig, Germany)
	S. Dzeroski (Jozef Stefan Institute, Slowenia)
	S. Lange (Univ. Leipzig, Germany)
	M. Numao (Tokyo Inst. Technology, Japan)
	K. Satoh (Hokkaido Univ., Japan)
	T. Zeugmann (Kyushu Univ., Japan)

Local Arrangements

	S. Lange, University of Leipzig

More information is provided via the workshop homepage at URL:

	 http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~slange/altws98.html

=======================================================================
=======================================================================