Subject: ALT'98 Paper Submission Deadline extended to April 7, 1998
From: Thomas Zeugmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:50:45 +0900 (JST)

Dear Colleagues,

due to numerous requests, the paper submission deadline for ALT'98
has been extended to 

               Tuesday, April 7, 1998

Call for Papers: ALT 98

The 9th International Workshop on Algorithmic Learning Theory
Otzenhausen, Germany
October 8 - 10, 1998

 The 9th International Workshop on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT'98)
will be held at the European Academy, Otzenhausen, Germany, during
October 8 - 10, 1998. The workshop is sponsored by the Japanese
Society for Artificial Intelligence (JSAI), the University of
Kaiserslautern, Department of Computer Science and the Centre for
Learning Systems and Applications (LSA). The IFIP Working Group 1.4
will offer a student travel award. 

We invite submissions to ALT'98 in all areas related to algorithmic
learning theory including (but not limited to): the design and analysis
of learning algorithms, the theory of machine learning, machine
discovery, inductive inference, case-based learning, learning via
queries, Bayesian-/MDL-/MML-estimation, statistical learning,
inductive logic programming, applications of learning e.g. to databases
and biological sequence analysis.

Invited Talks - Invited talks will be given by Akira Maruoka (Tohoku
University, Japan), Arun Sharma (University of New South Wales,
Australia), and Stefan Wrobel (GMD, Germany).

Submission - Authors may either  e-mail postscript files of their papers
to [email-masked], or submit nine copies of their papers
to
Prof. Dr. Rolf Wiehagen
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Computer Science
67653 Kaiserslautern
Germany
Papers must be received by April 7, 1998.
Notification of acceptance or rejection will be (e)mailed to the first
(or designated) author by May 15, 1998.

The camera-ready copy of accepted papers will be due June 15, 1998.

Format - The submitted paper should consist of a cover page with title,
author names, postal and e-mail addresses, an approximately 200 word
summary, and a body not longer than ten (10) pages of size A4 or 7 x
10,5 inches in twelve-point font. You may use appendices to include
long but major proofs. If you submit hardcopies, double-sided printing
is encouraged.

Policy - Each submitted paper will be reviewed by the members of the
program committee and be judged on clarity, significance, and
originality. Joint submissions to other conferences with published
proceedings are not allowed. Papers that have appeared in journals or
other conferences are not appropriate for ALT 98.

Proceedings will be published as a volume in the Lecture Notes in
Artificial Intelligence, Springer-Verlag, and will be available at the
conference.
Selected papers of ALT'98 will be invited to a special issue of the
journal Theoretical Computer Science.

Conference Chair:
Prof. Dr. Michael M. Richter
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Computer Science
67653 Kaiserslautern, Germany
[email-masked]

Conference Co-Chair:
Prof. Dr. Carl Smith
University of Maryland, USA

Program Committee Chair:
Prof. Dr. Rolf Wiehagen
University of Kaiserslautern, Germany

Program Committee Co-Chair:
Prof. Dr. Thomas Zeugmann
Kyushu University, Japan

Program Committee:
P. Bartlett (ANU, Australia)
S. Ben-David (Technion, Israel)
S. Dzeroski (Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)
R. Gavalda (Univ. de Catalunya, Spain)
L. Hellerstein (Polytechnic Univ., USA)
S. Jain  (National Univ. Singapore)
S. Lange  (Univ. Leipzig, Germany)
M. Li (Univ. Waterloo, Canada)
H. Motoda  (Osaka Univ., Japan)
Y. Sakakibara (Tokyo Denki Univ., Japan)
K. Satoh  (Hokaido Univ., Japan)
T. Shinohara  (Kyutech, Japan)
E. Ukkonen (Helsinki Univ., Finland)

Local Arrangements:
Prof. Dr. Michael M. Richter & Edith Huettel
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Computer Science
67653 Kaiserslautern, Germany

For more information, contact:
[email-masked]
Homepage:  http://wwwagr.informatik.uni-kl.de/alt98/alt98.html

Mirror:   http://www.i.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~thomas/ALT98/alt98.html