Subject: CFP Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT'96) (ASCII)
From: Arun Sharma <arun>
Date: 12 Dec 1995 08:35:08 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai,comp.ai.neural-nets,comp.ai.genetic,aus.computers.ai

Call for Papers: ALT'96 
The Seventh International Workshop on Algorithmic Learning Theory
              Coogee Holiday Inn, Sydney, Australia
                     October 23-25, 1996

The 7th International Workshop on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT'96) will 
be held at the Coogee Holiday Inn, Sydney, Australia during October 23-25, 
1996, and will be collocated with the Pacific Rim Knowledge Acquisition 
Workshop.  The workshop is being sponsored by the Japanese Society for 
Artificial Intelligence (JSAI) and the University of New South Wales (UNSW). 

We invite submissions to ALT'96 in all areas related to algorithmic learning 
theory including (but not limited to):

 the design and analysis of learning algorithms, the theory of machine 
 learning, computational logic of/for machine discovery, inductive inference,
 learning via queries, artificial and  biological  neural  networks,
 pattern recognition, learning by analogy, Bayesian/MDL  estimation,
 statistical learning, inductive logic programming, robotics, application
 of learning to databases, gene analysis, etc. 

INVITED TALKS: Invited talks will be given by 

   Prof. J.R. Quinlan, (University of Sydney), 
   Prof. T. Shinohara (Kyushu Institute of Technology),
   Prof. Les Valiant (Harvard Univ.), and 
   Prof. Paul Vitanyi (CWI and Univ. of Amsterdam). 

SUBMISSIONS: Authors must submit nine copies of their extended abstracts to:

   Arun Sharma - ALT'96
   School of Computer Science and Engineering
   University of New South Wales
   Sydney, 2052, Australia

ABSTRACTS must be received by April 15, 1996. 

NOTIFICATION of acceptance or rejection will be mailed to the first (or 
designated) author by June 3, 1996.

CAMERA-READY copy of accepted papers will be due July 1, 1996.

FORMAT: The submitted abstract should consist of a cover page with title, 
authors' names, postal and e-mail addresses, an approximately 200 word 
summary, and a body not longer than ten (10) pages of size A4 or 7x10.5 
inches in twelve-point font. Note that only the first ten (10) pages of the 
body will be sent out for review. Double-sided printing is strongly encouraged.

POLICY:  Each submitted abstract will be reviewed by the members of the 
program committee, and be judged on clarity, significance, and originality.  
Simultaneous submission of papers to any other conference with published 
proceedings is not allowed. Papers that have appeared in journals or other 
conferences are not appropriate for ALT'96. 

PROCEEDINGS will be published as a volume in the Lecture Notes Series in 
Artificial Intelligence from Springer-Verlag, and will be available at the 
conference. Selected papers of ALT'96 will be invited to be published in a 
special issue of a distinguished journal. 

CONFERENCE CHAIR:

   Prof. Setsuo Arikawa         
   RIFIS, Kyushu University 33
   Fukuoka, 812 Japan                 
   [email-masked]      

PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR:

   Arun Sharma, Univ. of New South Wales 
   [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE: 

   H. Arimura (KyuTech), 	
   Jose Balcazar (UPC, Barcelona),
   P. Bartlett (ANU),
   W. Cohen (AT&T),
   S. Ben David (Technion),
   H. Imai (U. Tokyo),
   K.P. Jantke (TH Leipzig),
   S. Kobayashi (U. Electro-Comm.),
   M. Numao (TiTech),
   S. Jain (National U. Singapore),
   S. Lange (TH Leipzig),
   L. De Raedt (Leuven),
   Y. Sakakibara (Fujitsu Labs)
   M. Sato (Osaka Pref. U.),
   O. Watanabe (TiTech),
   K. Yamanishi (NEC),
   T. Zeugmann (Kyushu)

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR:

   Achim Hoffmann
   School of Computer Science and Engineering
   University of New South Wales
   Sydney 2052 Australia
   [email-masked]

For more information, contact: 

Email: [email-masked]
Homepage: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~alt96/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------