Subject: AIMDM99 first call for papers
From: "Steve Rees" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:49:51 +0200

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AIMDM'99

Joint European Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
and Medical Decision Making

Seventh biennial meetings of the AIME and ESMDM societies

20th - 24th  June 1999
Aalborg, Denmark

Call for papers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  INTRODUCTION
The European Societies for Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIME)
and Medical Decision Making (ESMDM) were both established in 1986. The
aims of AIME and ESMDM are the following:

AIME
. to foster fundamental and applied research in the application of
Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques to medical care and medical
research, and
. to provide a forum for reporting significant results
achieved at biennial conferences.

ESMDM
. to promote research and training in medical decision-making 
. to provide a forum for circulating ideas and programs of related
interest

Since the formation of these two societies, six independent biennial
AIME and ESMDM conferences have been held. For the first time 1999
will see a joint conference of these two societies, building on common
interests in the representation and application of medical knowledge
in medical decision making. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2.  MEETING SCOPE
The societies seek to publish original contributions to the
development of theory, techniques, and applications of both AI in
medicine and medical decision making (MDM). Contributions to theory
may include presentation or analysis of the properties of novel AI or
MDM methodologies potentially useful to solve medical problems. Papers
on techniques should describe the development or the extension of AI
or MDM methods and their implementation. They should also discuss the
assumptions and limitations which characterize the proposed methods.
Application papers should describe the implementation of AI or MDM
systems to solve significant medical problems, including health care
quality assurance, health care costs and ethical considerations.
Application papers should present sufficient information to allow
evaluation of the practical benefits of the system.

AIMDM'99 will include:

. Invited papers
. Contributed papers
. Contributed abstracts
. Contributed posters
. System demonstrations
. Tutorials to introduce newcomers and discuss advanced topics
. Workshops

The scope includes the following methodological areas:

AI in medicine:
. Knowledge acquisition, representation, refinement, validation and
maintenance 
. Machine learning and data mining 
. Decision support systems, including knowledge based systems,
neural networks, belief networks and statistical models 
. Uncertain, temporal,  and case based reasoning 
. Planning and scheduling 
. Natural language generation and understanding 
. Computer vision, image and signal interpretation 
. Intelligent agents and information retrieval 
. Telemedicine and knowledge management in intranets and the Internet 
. Cognitive modeling

Medical decision making:
. Strategies, guidelines and applications dealing with diagnosis,
treatment and follow-up of  patients 
. Health care quality assurance, improvement and clinical audit 
. Health economics, cost effectiveness, resource allocation 
. Ethical, regulatory, legal and psychological aspects of medical decision
 making and decision support tools 
. Technology assessment and health policy making 
. Decision analysis, utility assessment and decision modeling 
. Evidence based medicine and clinical effectiveness
----------------------------------------------------------------------

3.  CONTRIBUTIONS
Full papers or structured abstracts  should be submitted on or before
15th December  1998 (send three copies to the programme committee
chair). Full papers should not exceed 5000 words, with structured
abstracts being a maximum of one page. Authors are requested to
classify their submitted paper using the categories given in the
scope. Authors are encouraged to submit full papers using the final
AIMDM conference proceedings format, i.e., maximum 10 pages using
Springer's LNCS format (see
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html for details and
formatting templates). Papers and abstracts must be original and must
not have been published before. All papers and abstracts  will be
carefully reviewed by at least two independent referees. Full papers
and structured abstracts will be presented either as oral
presentations or posters. All accepted full papers will appear in the
conference proceedings which will be published as part of the Springer
Verlag "Lecture Notes in AI" series. Structured abstracts will be
included in separate supplement distributed at the conference. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

4.  SCHEDULE
Receipt of full papers and abstracts for consideration:	15/12/1998
Notification of acceptance: 	                                     15/02/1999 
Receipt of revised camera-ready manuscript:	                  15/03/1999

A second call for papers including information on tutorials, authors
guidelines, hotel reservation and a conference registration form will
be distributed on October 1st 1998. To receive the second call please
return the attached preliminary registration form. Alternatively,
please find updated information on the conference at 
http://www.miba.auc.dk/AIMDM99 
----------------------------------------------------------------------

5.  CONFERENCE DETAILS 
The Conference will be held at Hotel Hvide Hus in Aalborg,
Denmark starting on 20th June and ending midday 24th June 1999.
Tutorials will be held between 9am and 5pm on 20th June 1999.
A range of accommodation is available including Hotel Hvide Hus
for 625 DKK pr. night single room.

Scandinavian airlines has been appointed Official Airline for this
conference and is offering all participants and accompanying persons a
special discount on tickets to Denmark. Kindly contact your nearest
SAS office and quote the reference number DK-9930

The working language is English.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

6.  REGISTRATION
Registration fees include participation in the technical programme, a
copy of the proceedings, all lunches and refreshments during the
Conference, and the Welcome Party on the evening of Monday 21st June.
Social activities include a guided tour of Aalborg, the conference
dinner, and a midsummer evening at the coast with St. Hans bonfires.

Fees are in Danish Kroner (DKK).

Early registration
(before May 15th 1999):	2550 DKK
Late registration
(after May 15th 1999):	3000 DKK
Early student registration
(before May 15th 1999:	1400 DKK
Late student registration
(after May 15th 1999):	1800 DKK

Students should attach a letter of support from their institution
confirming student status.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

7.  CONFERENCE COMMITTEES

Programme committee
For AIME:
Werner Horn (Chair) (Vienna, Austria)
Yuval Shalar (co-Chair) (Stanford, Calif., USA)
Steen Andreassen (Aalborg, Denmark)
Pedro Barahona (Lisboa, Portugal)
Robert Baud (Geneve, Switzerland)
Jan van Bemmel (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
Carlo Combi (Udine, Italy)
Luca Console (Torino, Italy)
Michel Dojat (Grenoble, France)
Rolf Engelbrecht (Munich, Germany)
John Fox (London, United Kingdom)
Catherine Garbay (La Tronche, France)
Reinhold Haux (Heidelberg, Germany)
Jim Hunter (Aberdeen, United Kingdom)
Elpida Keravnou (Nicosia, Cyprus)
Nada Lavrac (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Leonard Leibovici (Petah-Tiqva, Israel)
Silvia Miksch (Vienna, Austria)
Alan Rector (Manchester, United Kingdom)
Costas Spyropoulos (Aghia Paraskevi, Greece)
Mario Stefanelli (Pavia, Italy)
Mario Veloso (Lisboa, Portugal)
Bonnie Webber (Philadelphia, Penn., USA)
Jeremy Wyatt (London, United Kingdom)

For ESMDM:
Greger Lindberg (Co-Chair) (Huddinge, Sweden) 
Gianni Barosi (Pavia, Italy)
Diederik Dippel (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
Jack Dowie (Milton Keynes, UK)
J. I. Emparanza (San Sebastian, Spain)
C. Margolis (Beer-Sheva, Israel)
Gianpaolo Molino (Torino, Italy)
Christian Ohmann (Duesseldorf, Germany)
Helmut Sitter (Marburg, Germany)
Charles Sulman (Lille, France)
Sarah Twaddle (Glasgow, UK)
J. E. F. van der Ende (Antwerpen, Belgium)

Organising committee
Steen Andreassen (Chair, Aalborg University)
Kim Dremstrup Nielsen (Aalborg University)
Steve Rees (Aalborg University)
Jonny Solberg (Aalborg University)

Tutorial Chair
Jeremy Wyatt (London, United Kingdom)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

8.  CONFERENCE ADDRESSES

Organizing Committee Chair
Steen Andreassen 
Dept. of Medical Informatics and Image Analysis
Aalborg University
Fredrik Bajers Vej 7D
DK-9000 Aalborg yenst
Denmark
Tel: + 45 96358812
Fax: + 4598154008
email: [email-masked]

Conference Secretariat
Aalborg Turist og Kongres Bureau A/S
yensteragade 8
Postbox 1862
DK-9100 Aalborg
Denmark
Tel: + 45 98 12 63 55
Fax: + 45 98 16 69 22
email: [email-masked]

Programme committee chair
Werner Horn
Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence
Schottengasse 3
A-1010 Vienna
Austria
Tel +43-1-4277-63114
Fax +43-1-4277-9631
email: [email-masked]

PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION FORM

Please complete this form and return it to  the Conference Secretariat
if you would like to receive the second call for papers including
instruction for authors and conference registration form.

Family Name: 

First Name: 

Title: 

Organization: 

Address: 

Post Code: 

Country: 

Telephone: 

Fax: 

Email: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------